Author Topic: Why I like NCOWS  (Read 148769 times)

Offline Dr. Bob

• Dr. Bob
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Physician and Sporting Gent aka Bob Dorian
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: Why I like NCOWS
« Reply #120 on: February 19, 2011, 02:08:59 AM »
And, very good friends you both are!!  ;D
Regards, Doc
Dr. Bob Butcher,
NCOWS 2420, Senator
HR 4
GAF 405,
NRA Life,
KGC 8.
Warthog
Motto: Clean mind  -  Clean body,   Take your pick

Offline Texas Lawdog

• NCOWS Senator "Old School" Cop
  • Top Active Citizen
  • " We're all Here because We're not all There".
  • Liked:
« Reply #121 on: February 22, 2011, 02:00:15 PM »
I enjoy NCOWS for the friends I have met attending NCOWS functions. The Convention is a good place to meet new friends and renew aquaintences with old friends. I like the authenticity of the weapons and clothing. I am looking forward to attending the Convention again next month.
SASS#47185  RO I   ROII       NCOWS#2244  NCOWS Life #186  BOLD#393 GAF#318 SCORRS#1 SBSS#1485  WASA#666  RATS#111  BOSS#155  Storm#241 Henry 1860#92 W3G#1000  Warthog AZSA #28  American Plainsmen Society #69  Masonic Cowboy Shootist  Hiram's Rangers#18  FOP  Lt. Col  Grand Army of The Frontier, Life Member CAF
   Col.  CAF  NRA  TSRA   BOA  Dooley Gang  BOPP  ROWSS  Scarlet Mask Vigilance Society Great Lakes Freight and Mining Company  Cow Cracker Cavalry   Berger Sharpshooters "I had no Irons in the Fire". "Are you gonna pull those pistols or whistle Dixie"?

Offline dusty texian

• Chief Scout Wehmeyer Ranch's.
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Dusty Texian
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 107
« Reply #122 on: March 22, 2013, 10:23:59 AM »
I'd like to take a shot at expressing why I like ,and joined,  NCOWS .I was first drawn to the history of the old west period as a youngster. I was lucky to have grown up in a family that wereTexas, cowboy's from the early day's. My Great Grandfather ,Grandfather ,Dad ,God rest their Soul's ,were men I looked up to and I was showed the way it was way back yonder by them.I try to teach my Children and now Grandchildren what I have learned of the past that is important, And should not let become lost. The way I see it NCOWS is about keeping our past and history alive and accurately passed along . I also think that one of the most important thing's the NCOWS club must do to insure it will continue ,is to reach out to new member's ,both young and old. As a new member I want to Thank you All for allowing me into your club, and most of all ,being tollerant of my well ment but sometimes not worded wright comment,s . I have been treated very Kindly by alll member's here.  And made many new friend's .And like Charles Isaac ,wrote back in 10-30-08 Most times when I go to the shooting club I belong to I'm the odd duck , with my antique firearms and old time catridges .Most times after the( what kinda gun is that) question they will ask( are you dressed like that for some kinda cowboy shoot).  That's how I dress every day ! I usually leave the club with at leaste one or two fella's sayin that is somthing I would like to try.On my huntin ranch's I hunt only with antique or replica type firearms and that is startin to rub off on the other hunter's . Thinking on going Vintage Huntin ONLY in the near future at the ranch's  , Heck  most of the hunters are old hands at it ,and it's not about what they get ,it's how they get it .So to Speak. And that's why we hunt together,a good bunch.And I think I have fell in with a good bunch here, So I feel rite at home here. And Thank's to You All ,for makin me feel at home .Dusty Texian.

Advertising

« Reply #123 on: Today at 03:20:41 AM »

Offline Tjackstephens

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #123 on: March 22, 2013, 10:40:09 AM »
Dusty, very well put. Sure gald to have you with us. Tj
Texas Jack Stephens:   NRA, NCOWS #2312,  SASS # 12303, Hiram's Ranger #22,  GAF #641, USFA-CSS # 185, BOSS# 174,  Hartford Lodge 675, Johnson County Rangers,  Green River Gunslingers, Col. Bishop's Renegades, Kentucky Col.

Offline Major 2

• "Still running against the wind"
  • Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • NCOWS #: 3032
  • GAF #: 785
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 415
« Reply #124 on: March 22, 2013, 11:52:11 AM »
Dusty, You are most welcome glad you're here
when planets align...do the deal !

Offline Texas Lawdog

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #125 on: March 22, 2013, 02:10:04 PM »
Dusty, What part of the Great State of Texas are you located? I never met my maternal Grandfather, he died before my mother was born. He was a working cowboy on some of the ranches of the Texas Panhandle. I worked as a cowboy on a ranch in the Panhandle during the summers of HS. I attended a "cowboy" school in the Oklahoma Panhandle and worked at some of the large feedlots in the Oklahoma and Texas Panhandle After college, I pursued a career in Law Enforcement for 40 years in Texas. My father was the Sheriff of the town I grew up in till be passed away. I have been fortunate to have known many Hollywood Western Actors and I appeared in a modern western movie in HS. The western lifestyle has been a big part of my life and when I discovered NCOWS, I knew that this is where I belong.
SASS#47185  RO I   ROII       NCOWS#2244  NCOWS Life #186  BOLD#393 GAF#318 SCORRS#1 SBSS#1485  WASA#666  RATS#111  BOSS#155  Storm#241 Henry 1860#92 W3G#1000  Warthog AZSA #28  American Plainsmen Society #69  Masonic Cowboy Shootist  Hiram's Rangers#18  FOP  Lt. Col  Grand Army of The Frontier, Life Member CAF
   Col.  CAF  NRA  TSRA   BOA  Dooley Gang  BOPP  ROWSS  Scarlet Mask Vigilance Society Great Lakes Freight and Mining Company  Cow Cracker Cavalry   Berger Sharpshooters "I had no Irons in the Fire". "Are you gonna pull those pistols or whistle Dixie"?

Offline dusty texian

• Chief Scout Wehmeyer Ranch's.
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Dusty Texian
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 107
« Reply #126 on: March 22, 2013, 02:37:00 PM »
A big ole Howdy there, Texas Lawdog . I was born in S/E Texas most of my folk are from the Anderson,Navasota area. While growin up Dad had a place out in Blanco Co. near Round Mountain from the early 70s on up to about 2000. I have a place out in Brewster Co. N/E Co. near Marathon just east of the Tinaja Mountains ,and 3.5 mi. North of the Rio Grande . And I lease a place up near Robert Lee,Coke Co. up on the divide .I just got me a place back in the Hill Country betwean Llano and Mason just north of the Llano river ,by a few hundred yds.. Gonna plant my root's,s around there for a while .That Mason , Llano ,Fredricksburg country just feel's like home to me. But a big part of me will always be in Brewster Co. That's still the Wild West down Yonder, but If your in Law enforcement you know that. Gotta learn to sleep with one eye open down on the border. If you ever down from the Panhandle give me a holler . Always ready for a visit with my neighbor's ......Dusty.

Offline Texas Lawdog

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #127 on: March 23, 2013, 09:47:04 AM »
Dusty, I actually live in the D/FW area now, I moved down here in 72 and never left.

Offline Gomezy3k

• NCOWS Member
  • Active citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #128 on: May 23, 2016, 12:47:00 AM »
Way back about 40 decades ago, I got into Buckskinning and really loved it.  I loved the historical aspect of it.  Later as I got older, I came across Cowboy Action Shooting and joined up.  I really didn't like the fact that SASS didn't seem to be that interested in trying to get historically correct but stuck with it, trying in my own way to be as historically correct as I could.  Someone mentioned NCOWS and when I researched it, I immediately became a life member.

I love history of all kinds and especially Old west History.  I wish I lived closer so I could get involved in some of the shoots and activities.  Not many NCOWS members out here in Nevada so not much activity.  I love reading the Shootist.
NCOWS Life Member 153
I love the Holy Black Powder... 
Come to the Darkside, we have cookies.
NRA Life Member
Eldorado Cowboys Las Vegas Life Member

Offline Iron City Sage

• NCOWS Member
  • Active citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 16
« Reply #129 on: July 10, 2023, 08:51:41 AM »
I'm just getting started here, so my experience is very limited. I am fortunate I have both SASS and an NCOWS posse within 20 minutes of me, so I joined both and am playing at both ranges. I will say, what I like about NCOWS, is the shooting. I love, that there is a focus both on time, AND accuracy. I don't know how other SASS locations do it, but our local SASS matches targets are closer than I have ever shot at anything ever, and the focus is on SPEED SPEED SPEED. That's all well and good, but I personally am not a fan of blowing through 10 rifle, 10 pistol and 4 shot shells per stage, at that close range. It's all a time thing, very little shooting skill involved, just muscle memory to get rounds off fast.

My local NCOWS is timed of course, but with targets set at realistic distances, some rife out to almost 90 yards, you have to actually aim, and display some shooting discipline. This, I LOVE about NCOWS. I'm also a fan of the simplicity, and lower round count per match. With 3 matches a month between the two I will probably shoot both for a while, but I'm very heavily leaning toward focusing on NCOWS for sure. And, of course? The people! (and this does go for both....great people in the sport, helpful, friendly, and just plain fun). Good stuff!

Offline Johnson Barr

• Berger Sharpshooters, KVC, Blue River Regulators #129, Johnson County Rangers, GAF
  • NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • NRA Life, TSRA Life, NCOWS Life, NCOWS Merchant
    • J Barr Texas
  • NCOWS #: L-173
  • GAF #: 830
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 2
« Reply #130 on: July 10, 2023, 12:58:13 PM »
Welcome aboard. The Bushwackers are a fine group. Your ammo budget will be much less stressed shooting in the 2-gun Working Cowboy category. As a plus you will have plenty of time to visit and enjoy the day. Take care, -J.Barr
"Peace is that glorious moment in history when everybody stands around reloading"  -Thomas Jefferson

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com