Author Topic: A Terrible Glory  (Read 4583 times)

Offline Dave T

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 901
A Terrible Glory
« on: April 07, 2018, 09:45:16 AM »
I can't remember how many versions/renditions I've heard and read about the Battle of the Little Bighorn, or Custer's Last Stand. There's a fair amount of variation in them, except Custer always looses in the end. I picked up this book by James Donovan because the reviews said it was written without an agenda. That's how I prefer my history and this one delivers.

Donavan looks at both sides and pulls no punches. There was fault enough to go around. Mistakes were made that in hind sight look foolish but are the kind of things we might well do given the same circumstances.

If you're at all interested in the history of the Indian Wars I highly recommend A Terrible Glory by James Donovan

Dave

Offline Coal Creek Griff

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 633
Re: A Terrible Glory
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2018, 11:18:56 AM »
Custer always looses in the end.

Kinda ruined it by giving away the ending, huh?  ;) Fortunately I already read the book.

Actually, I completely agree with your recommendation. My old west history focus is primarily in the area of outlaws and lawmen, but I've tried to familiarize myself with other aspects of history as well. I've read a couple of books on the LBH and this was one of the best. That event carries a lot of emotion and is open to interpretation. To find someone who tries to be even-handed is very helpful.

CC Griff
Manager, WT Ranch--Coal Creek Division

BOLD #921
BOSS #196
1860 Henry Rifle Shooter #173
SSS #573

Offline Buffalo Creek Law Dog

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 4
« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2018, 04:13:43 PM »
Of the 50 + books that I have on the Plains Indian Wars, of which 95% are on the Little Big Horn, a Terrible Glory is the one that I recommend to anyone who is starting out to study the Little Big Horn.  The 2nd best one for a beginner is Custer's Luck by Edgar I. Stewart.  I'll be visiting LBH for the 16th time this coming August.
SASS 66621
BOLD 678
AFS 43
NFA
ABPA

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 08:03:19 PM »

Offline nagantino

• Top Active Citizen
  • Oh yeah.......
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #3 on: April 09, 2018, 12:46:44 PM »
Have to recommend The Son of the Evening Star by Evan S Connell. I've never been to the battle site but would love to see it. Is it a long journey? I have heard it's remote.

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: April 09, 2018, 09:05:13 PM »
Have to recommend The Son of the Evening Star by Evan S Connell. I've never been to the battle site but would love to see it. Is it a long journey? I have heard it's remote.

The made for TV movie filmed in 1991 called Son of the Morning Star, taken from the book by the same name (by Evan S Connell) starring Gary Cole as Custer, is the most accurate movie on the subject so far.
SASS 66621
BOLD 678
AFS 43
NFA
ABPA

Offline Good Troy

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • SASS #: 98102
  • NCOWS #: 3791
  • GAF #: 835
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 23
« Reply #5 on: April 10, 2018, 07:48:01 AM »
I've read both books...Son of the Morning Star and A Terrible Glory.  Both good, but I found A Terrible Glory to be better...just my humble opinion.
Good Troy
AKA Dechali, and Has No Horses
SASS#98102
GAF#835
NCOWS#3791
SSS#638

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: April 10, 2018, 09:01:22 AM »

Is it a long journey? It depends where you live.  LBH is on Hwy I-90.  Hardin (pop 3800) is 13 miles north.  Billings (pop 110,000) approx 50 miles NW.  I usually stayed in Billings and made day trips, however, this year I will be staying at Hardin.  I remember one year, it was 90+F and a cold beer was immensely desired but, the battlefield is on the Crow Reservation and the nearest beer was in Hardin.

For anyone who is interested in the old west, LBH is a must see before one dies.
SASS 66621
BOLD 678
AFS 43
NFA
ABPA

Offline Johnny McCrae

• Bristol Plains Pistoleros, Sweetwater Regulators
  • NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • The older the violin, the finer the music
    • Johnny McCrae
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 258
« Reply #7 on: April 10, 2018, 07:06:09 PM »
Several years ago on my annual trip to Sturgis I stopped at the Little Big Horn Battlefield and took a few pictures.
Below is the link to a slide show of the Battlefield:
http://s278.photobucket.com/user/jvsaffran/slideshow/Little%20Big%20Horn%20Battlefield?sort=3
As Buffalo Creek said, the Little Big Horn Battlefield is just a few minutes off of I-90. When I rode into the Battlefield on my Harley Gary Owen was playing out of the CD player.
You need to learn to like all the little everday things like a sip of good whiskey, a soft bed, a glass of buttermilk,  and a feisty old gentleman like myself

Offline Baltimore Ed

• Top Active Citizen
  • SASS #: 11754
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 189
« Reply #8 on: April 11, 2018, 06:21:28 AM »
Nice slide show Johnny. Haven't been there but have been to the Alamo and Gettsburg.
"Give'em hell, Pike"
 There is no horse so dead that you cannot continue to beat it.

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #9 on: April 11, 2018, 07:57:21 AM »
Several years ago on my annual trip to Sturgis I stopped at the Little Big Horn Battlefield and took a few pictures.
Below is the link to a slide show of the Battlefield:
http://s278.photobucket.com/user/jvsaffran/slideshow/Little%20Big%20Horn%20Battlefield?sort=3
As Buffalo Creek said, the Little Big Horn Battlefield is just a few minutes off of I-90. When I rode into the Battlefield on my Harley Gary Owen was playing out of the CD player.

Johnny, I notice your photos, which are excellent ones, by the way, are all taken at Last Stand Hill (LSH).  Did you go the Reno/Benteen site approx 4 miles to the south of LSH?
SASS 66621
BOLD 678
AFS 43
NFA
ABPA

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #10 on: April 11, 2018, 08:07:54 AM »
For anyone planning on visiting the Little Big Horn (LBH), I would suggest during the spring of the year.  In the spring the landscape is all fresh and green as Custer saw it.  During July/August and later, the landscape is all tan colored (that burned out look).
SASS 66621
BOLD 678
AFS 43
NFA
ABPA

Offline Johnny McCrae

• Bristol Plains Pistoleros, Sweetwater Regulators
  • NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • The older the violin, the finer the music
    • Johnny McCrae
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 258
« Reply #11 on: April 11, 2018, 08:17:50 AM »
Thanks for the kind words.
Did you go the Reno/Benteen site approx 4 miles to the south of LSH?
Just LSH and the museum, I did not make it to the Reno/Benteen site.
You need to learn to like all the little everday things like a sip of good whiskey, a soft bed, a glass of buttermilk,  and a feisty old gentleman like myself

Offline leverman

• Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #12 on: April 11, 2018, 02:57:22 PM »
I too have been there whilst on a coach trip to America to see the grandeur and natural beauty you guys have in your great country. To me it was pilgrimage to see the battle site, like all battle sites there is a "presence" there that you can feel, it will live in my heart forever. 4 years ago I traveled again to the States to hunt coyote with another English guy, this trip was a disaster as the guy was a complete idiot, enough said about that. But one of the guys I meet, a lovely guy, gave me a spent 45/70 cartridge, it was also bent somewhat and he said he had picked it up where there had been several battles/sorties during the Indian wars. He said the 45-70 rifles would fail to extract when hot, and the solders would prise them out with knives, or any way they could. I have been to your country 4 times now, and always been overwhelmed by the grandeur of the scenery, and the warmth of the people who live there. But the Battle site of Custer's last stand was a pilgrimage for me personally, I have to add I've hunted in South Africa 6 times, and thought that was great, but America is huge. I hope to go back to the States again one day just touring around to where I want, and to stay as long as I want at certain places. deerwarden

Offline Coal Creek Griff

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 633
« Reply #13 on: April 11, 2018, 08:53:24 PM »
That's a great story! Thanks for visiting our country; I hope you can make it back, not on a "coach trip" (bus tour).  I wouldn't be at all surprised if some folks from CAS City would meet up with you along the way to help.

CC Griff
Manager, WT Ranch--Coal Creek Division

BOLD #921
BOSS #196
1860 Henry Rifle Shooter #173
SSS #573

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com