Author Topic: Hombre  (Read 3006 times)

Offline dutch harbor john

• Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Hombre
« on: February 13, 2018, 01:13:18 AM »
Haven't seen the movie Hombre in years. One of the best starring Paul Newman and bad guy Richard Boone. Can someone shed light what model Winchester Newman used in the picture, 76 or 86 ?
Thanks

Offline Coal Creek Griff

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 636
Re: Hombre
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2018, 07:26:55 AM »
Newman's rifle had been sometimes misidentified as an.1876, but it is actually an 1873.  I've looked at some scenes frame by frame and confirmed it.

I agree--an excellent movie, based on a good book. The movie follows the book very closely, although they of course had to shave it down to fit it into the viewing time.  They also changed a few supporting characters, but the main story is very close. That means that if you like the movie, the book enhances your enjoyment by fleshing out characters and giving some background  to the events in the movie.

CC Griff
Manager, WT Ranch--Coal Creek Division

BOLD #921
BOSS #196
1860 Henry Rifle Shooter #173
SSS #573

Offline PJ Hardtack

• American Plainsmen Society
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2018, 12:00:09 PM »
I find that if I enjoy the movie, I avoid the book as I will be disappointed; and vice versa. It's usually due to too much Hollywood.

An exception to this was "True Grit". I enjoyed the original movie as well as the remake and the novel by Charles Portis was great.
"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, I won't be laid a hand on.
I don't do these things to others and I require the same from them."  John Wayne

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 11:28:19 PM »

Offline Coal Creek Griff

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 636
« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2018, 12:29:41 PM »
An exception to this was "True Grit"

Ture Grit is one of my all-time favorite books.  The movies capture the story line and I've watched both a number of times, but the best part of the book is the way that "Mattie" tells the story.  Her way of speaking and rabbit trails are fabulous.  It is one of the few books that I finished reading, then flipped to page one and started over.  I've read it a number of times and listened to the audio book (read by Donna Tartt) a number of times.  It's a short book, so even non-readers find it manageable and well worth it.

As far as "Hombre", I very much enjoy Elmore Leonard's western stories.  I have his short story collection for times when I don't want to read a long book and I'm working my way through his western novels.  I recommend those as well.

CC Griff
Manager, WT Ranch--Coal Creek Division

BOLD #921
BOSS #196
1860 Henry Rifle Shooter #173
SSS #573

Offline nagantino

• Top Active Citizen
  • Oh yeah.......
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: February 13, 2018, 04:35:52 PM »
I have mentioned Hombre here before. The shooting sequences and the editing are superb. I wonder why film makers today can't emulate it.

Offline PJ Hardtack

• American Plainsmen Society
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: February 13, 2018, 08:02:02 PM »
Because class actors like Paul Newman are dead.

One of his best was "Cool Hand Luke" - "What we have here is a failure to communicate ....".
"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, I won't be laid a hand on.
I don't do these things to others and I require the same from them."  John Wayne

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com