Author Topic: Original B&W Gunsmoke  (Read 2501 times)

Offline Will Ketchum

• Chief of Detectives
  • Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Pete Ersland
  • SASS #: 4222
  • NCOWS #: 133
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Original B&W Gunsmoke
« on: January 10, 2017, 08:59:56 PM »
Since I no longer have cable I often watch Gunsmoke. This week it's been from the original 1955 half hour episodes. Matt often goes without a vest and actually carries a Colt with walnut grips in a fairly original type holster instead of the rig he wears in the later versions. He does wear that rig at the beginning scene with the gun fight.
Just thought you might find that interesting.

Will Ketchum
Will Ketchum's Rules of W&CAS: 1 Be Safe. 2 Have Fun. 3  Look Good Doin It!
F&AM, NRA Endowment Life, SASS Life 4222, NCOWS Life 133.  USMC for ever.
Madison, WI

Offline Doug.38PR

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
Re: Original B&W Gunsmoke
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2017, 09:07:07 PM »
I've seen the color episodes for decades in syndication.  They are okay.  But I've found I like the 30 minute Black and White episodes you describe FAR better.  They are gritty, more realistic, filmed outdoors, Matt is a lot tougher (more like Robert Stack Eliot Ness in the West), to the point, not a whole lot of dragging drama and dialogue that later came with hour long episodes in color. 

I have seasons 1 and 2 and first half of 3 on DVD.   Like you, I saw a couple of episodes at noon on MeTV this week.  They actually had a Christmas episode where Chesters cousin comes to town.  Simple mountain man hillbilly.  A crazy Bob Ewell with long white hair goes crazy on a Christmas party at the Long Branch. 

They seem to pay more attention to details about guns and holsters there too.   Usually people carry a .45 Colt and a Winchester but occasionally you'll have others like Buffalo Hunters carrying a .50 Sharps carbine or somebody with a Colt Navy .36.

Did you notice the holster in the opening draw that you mention seems to be a 5.5 inch barrel holster but when he pulls the gun its' a 7.5 inch barrel gun?

Offline Will Ketchum

• Chief of Detectives
  • Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Pete Ersland
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2017, 10:05:03 PM »
As far as I remember Matt always carried a 7 1/2.  He didn't notice the one in the holster. Can't watch it tomorrow, maybe Thursday.
Madison, WI

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 06:21:19 AM »

Offline Doug.38PR

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2017, 11:59:19 PM »
Just watched a first season Episode on DVD called The Hunter.   About this creepy crazy buffalo hunter.  Notable is that Matt uses a more true to Old west holster rather than the one that hangs down hooked from the bottom of the belt.

More interesting:  The buffalo hunter is using a Sharps Carbine which Matt Refers to as the Big Fifty surprised that the hunter hasn't gone to a Remington Rolling block.   The hunter claims he can reload his Sharps as fast as any man with a lever action.

At the end the Hunter tries to ambush Matt on the trail from some high ground.   He keeps two or three shells in between his fingers within easy reach to quickly reload each shot (not often depicted in movies and tv).   The Sharps is depicted as an extremely powerful weapon.  Not just any other rifle. 

Offline Will Ketchum

• Chief of Detectives
  • Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Pete Ersland
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: January 19, 2017, 01:17:24 PM »
Today's 2 episodes on ME TV, the first was "Cooter" and the 2nd "The Killer" with a young Charles Bronson. Matt wore a drop loop holster but still had the walnut griped gun.
I like these older stories better. Matt often is shown with a days beard and not nearly as polished as the hour long color episodes in the later years.

Will Ketchum
Madison, WI

Offline Doug.38PR

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: January 20, 2017, 09:01:41 PM »
Today's 2 episodes on ME TV, the first was "Cooter" and the 2nd "The Killer" with a young Charles Bronson. Matt wore a drop loop holster but still had the walnut griped gun.
I like these older stories better. Matt often is shown with a days beard and not nearly as polished as the hour long color episodes in the later years.

Will Ketchum

AND he is a lot tougher.  He's not above knocking non-law breakers around for simply causing trouble if he has to.  I saw one where he shot and killed his own friend trying to help him as a deputy because he was distracted by rowdy townsmen.  He proceeded to shut the whole town down with a shotgun.

ALSO, when things are happing outside, they are really outside in the sun and wind and not on a soundstage like later color episodes

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com