Author Topic: More Traditional Christmas Cookies  (Read 2392 times)

Offline Delmonico

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
More Traditional Christmas Cookies
« on: December 27, 2004, 10:45:18 PM »
Anise cookies have been a tradition in many parts of the world for many years.

To those who don't know, anise is a seed of the anise plant, part of the parsley family, a relative of carrot and dill.  Even though the taste is similar to licorice, it is not the same, licorice flavor is from the root of the licorice plant, this is a legume, a relative of the pea and bean.  So don't be callin' these licorice cookies or I'll have to go inta one of my frothin' rages, not good when makin' cookies, maybe ok fer meringue pie cause no one would notice.

This one has also been in our family for many years and I would say it dates to at least before the Civil War by many years cause it uses 1/4 teaspoon cream of tarter and 1/2 teaspoon bakin' soda (salertus).  One can just use 1 teaspoon bakin' powder for the same results.

Anise Snaps

1 1/2 cups flour
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/4 teaspoon cream of tarter
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/4 cup butter
3/4 cup white sugar
1 beaten egg
1 tablespoon anise seed

Mix together dry ingrdieants, Cream butter and sugar.  Add dry mixture and anise seed.  Mix well until blended.  Chill for at least 2 hours.  Heat oven to 350. (Medium Hot)  Roll dough 1/8 inch thick and cut into desired shapes.  Bake 12-15 minutes on ungreased baking sheet.

This next ones are of German origin.

Springerle

2 eggs
1 cup white sugar
2 1/4 cups flour
anise seed

Beat egg and sugar for 5 minutes, mix in enough flour to make a stiff workable dough.  Cover and chill for 2 hours

Roll out 1/8 inch thick, cut and sprinkle with anise seed, let dry 10 hours and bake in 325 degree (medium hot) oven on ungreased baking sheet, 1/2 inch apart for 12-15 minutes.

Mongrel Historian

Always get the water for the coffee upstream from the herd.

Ab Ovo Usque ad Mala

The time has passed so quick, the years all run together now.

Offline Four-Eyed Buck

• Top Active Citizen
  • Tusco LongRiders,
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: More Traditional Christmas Cookies
« Reply #1 on: December 28, 2004, 12:17:29 AM »
Thanks, Del. I'm copying these for Susie.........Buck 8) :)
I might be slow, but I'm mostly accurate.....

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com