Author Topic: In Remembrance of AnnieLee Independent - 9/12/1958 to 2/27/2006  (Read 147678 times)

Offline Silver Creek Slim

• Buckaroo
  • Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • NCOWS #: 2329
  • GAF #: 144
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 104
This thread is being setup so y'all can post memories of our dear friend AnnieLee AKA Nancy Depoy.

I will be posting my memories after I have had time to collect my thoughts.

Below you will find her obituary printed on 3/7/2006 in the Free Lance-Star in Fredericksburg, VA.

Slim

Nancy H. Depoy

Nancy Herder Depoy, 47, also known as Annie Lee Independent, died Monday, Feb. 27, 2006, in Fredericksburg.

She was born Sept. 12, 1958, in St. Paul, Minn., and grew up in West Palm Beach, Fla.

She served her country in the U.S. Air Force and was a graduate of the University of Maryland School of Engineering. She was currently employed by the FAA in Washington, D.C.

Nancy is survived by her son, Charles, and his father, Steven Depoy, of Waldorf, Md.; her mother, Patricia Herder of West Palm Beach; her sisters, Barbara Gohr and her husband, Jeffrey, of Libertyville, Ill., Mary McFarland and her husband, Malcolm, of Folsom, Calif., and Joyce Moody of West Palm Beach; her brother, Thomas J. and his wife, Rhoda Vanderhart, of Mobile, Ala.; and nieces, a nephew, many aunts, uncles and cousins.

She was preceded in death by her father, Thomas H. Herder.

Entombment will take place in Arlington National Cemetery Wednesday, March 22, at 2 p.m. A Mass in Nancy's memory will be said Saturday, March 11, at 10 a.m. at St. Joseph Catholic Church in Pomfret, Md.

Online condolences may be sent to foundandsons.com.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Below is a list of on-line and off-line memories of AnnieLee:

TFS bartender - Juggs
TFS Land Shark
CAS City Newbrassky thread Frumpy Fairy Godmother (FFg)
CAS City substitute greeter
CAS City co-moderator of RATS forum
Wielder of "Elle Kabong" and "Le Ping"
Arcey's ST
Maker of jam and jellies
Maker of my son's afghan
Warthog Gunfighter
NCOWS 2329, WartHog, SCORRS, SBSS, BHR, GAF, RBCS, Dirty RATS, BTBM, IPSAC, Cosie-in-training
I love the smell of Black Powder in the morning!

Offline Mustang Gregg

• .44 BP GUNFIGHTER
  • Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • LtCol Mustang Gregg & Col Pitspitr at NE CSG 2007
    • Wild West Arms
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 9
Re: In Remembrance of AnnieLee Independent - 9/12/1958 to 2/27/2006
« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2006, 12:43:54 PM »
Thanks, Slim.

It probably has mostly all been said already, friend.
But Annie was THE BEST.  She was a real force in CAS and everything she did.
I feel kinda sad & sick right now, so I'll just shut up.

MG

PS  Nancy, I'll miss ya.
"I have two guns.  {CLICK--CLICK}  One for each of ya."
  BACK FROM AFGHANISTAN!!
"Mustang Gregg" Clement-----NRA LIFER, since '72-----SASS Life & Territorial Governor-----GAF #64-----RATS #0 & Forum Moderator-----BP Warthog------Distinguished Pistol 2004------SAIROC & MMTC Instructor-----Owner of Wild West Arms, Inc. [gun shop] Table Rock, NE------CASTIN' & BLASTIN'!!!!
www.wildwestarms.net

Offline Beth of Lincoln County

• Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2006, 04:22:56 PM »
There is so much I want to say about Annie Lee, but I don't know where to begin. 

Everytime I try to write something, my computer screen gets all blurry and my keyboard gets wet.

She was a really good person, whom I had the honor and privledge to know her and her son Charlie (Will).  I am going to miss her terribly.  I could always talk to her about anything, and she would listen and not judge.  She always gave me great advice and/or suggestion that I could use.

Nancy and I meet at Pungo at one of the shoots.  She was always laughing and joking with everyone.  She always had a smile on her face, and a kind word for everyone.

I'm sorry, I can't write anymore right now.  I will post more later when my screen is clearer.

Beth
SASS # 40704
RATS # 251
Lady of the Soot

Advertising

Offline Lou Graham

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: March 01, 2006, 06:36:47 PM »
The first time I met Annie f2f was at Roundup a coupla years back.

There was a Wild Bunch side match.  Annie was the first lady I'd met in cyberspace that shot a 1911 besides me.  So, we're gonna do WB together.  At that time, she used a sxs shotgun and didn't know manual of arms for a pump.  

We plunked the guns down on the loading table and she says "Show me the drill and don't forget I'm left handed."

Well, she marched out and shot the stage, did fine with the shotgun.

Jaws dropped when she pulled the 1911 and commenced to shooting it.

She did it one-handed. ;D :o ;D

Didn't even realize she was doing something special.

Soot Lady
You can never be too thin, too rich or have too much ammo

Offline Big John Wyatt

• Very Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: March 01, 2006, 06:41:28 PM »
Elle KaBong..... :( :( :-*
BJW
Thunder River Renegades
Texas Regulators
SASS# 38825
----------------------------
Last night I saw a cowgirl, and she was floatin' across the ceilin'
----------------------------
Back in Black
-----------------------------
SCORRS, STORM 177
-----------------------------
WARTHOG "BY GAWD"

Offline Four-Eyed Buck

• Top Active Citizen
  • Tusco LongRiders,
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: March 01, 2006, 07:25:12 PM »
And Le Ping :'(
I might be slow, but I'm mostly accurate.....

Offline Joyce (AnnieLee)

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: March 01, 2006, 08:08:25 PM »
Ahhh...the memories I could share ... you could all learn what lurked behind things like "olive up the nose" threads.  Truthfully, I can't remember her ever sticking anything naughty up her nose - she had the cutest nose.  I told her that when I was up here in January. 

We did always assume that she was left by the garbageman - how sad is that?  My mom wasn't supposed to have any more kids after me (the 4th) and she had a tubaligation.  Then the miracle baby happened and neither one of them were supposed to make it so my mom embroidered our names on all our white undershirts and underwear so that someone would have an easier time with the laundry.  Nancy and Mom both made it just fine and Nancy was the healthiest of all of us until last December.  She's the only one who was never in the hospital except for when Will was born.  We grew up sharing a bedroom and we were so opposite.  She was always so innocent, gullible, and honest and me and my brother took so much advantage in our teasing.  I was soooooo happy when she let me in to her life when she was sick and we spent the last couple of months growing closer and closer. She taught me HUGE lessons about not being judgemental and putting things into perspective and valuing friendships.

I hope I handle things honorably by her and I don't think it will suck too much for Charlie to spend part of his summer vacation down in Florida with his Grandma and his Aunt Joyce - who has a big loveable dog and 4 disfunctional cats (are there any other kinds?)  Charlie will get lots of love, and this big ol' piece of heaven property.  We'll all do our best by him.  It's sure been awesome to get to know so many of her cowboys.

Unrepentant WartHog
Heathen Gunfighter
Pepper Mill Creek Gang
RATS
and
Wielder of "Elle KaBong", the WartHog cast iron skillet
Nasty Lady

Offline Big Hext

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: March 01, 2006, 08:39:57 PM »
Like many good friendships, Annie and I met in conflict.
We banged heads often, as stubborn, outspoken and passionate people tend to do..
After we agreed that neither of us had a harder head ;).. we grew to respect and care about each other.

We didn't speak often, but as she posted less and less, I called her more and more.  The last time we talked she seemed upbeat but tired.  I had to hurry off the phone to get into work.. now I wish I'd spent a few more minutes with her. 

Annie (I know Nancy, but that's just not how I think of her) was not perfect, but her heart and her spirit overwhelmed her imperfections.
My world is darker for her passing..

Adios,

Thank you for being you.. Annie Lee!

Offline Stoney Pete

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #8 on: March 02, 2006, 06:31:15 AM »
She was opinionated, stubborn, independant and bull-headed.   One glance in the mirror and I met someone just like her.

She was kind, loving, giving and loyal to her friends and complete strangers. 

If one insisted on giving her crap, she had big shovel and could dish it back.   I'd never known her to be the first sling the crap.

Specific memories.

The FFG. 

El Kabong. 

"THWACK!"

"CHOMP!"

If it can't be nice, eaten, make money, create comfort or provide real pleasure.........kill it or trade it in on new one!

Offline Lucky Irish Tom

• Drunken Irish Darksider
  • Top Active Citizen
  • If I can't see the targets neither can the spotter
  • Liked:
« Reply #9 on: March 02, 2006, 07:15:31 AM »
Having been fortunate enough to have shot with Annie over the last several years I was able to enjoy her company f2f on many occassions.  We tried to get on the same Posse and there were a group of us that were devoted to having fun regardless of how we shot.  In fact on several occassions we were so busy trying to humorously upstage one another that we would forget the target sequence, of course if one of us was next in line we normally were laughing so hard we would either miss a lot of targets or mess up the stage sequence ourselves.  The last time we shot together I commented on how nobody ever took my picture when I was shooting, so I didn't have an action shot to use for my Avatar.  Annie stepped right up got me to show her how my camera worked and took several shots of me that day.  Right now I am searching through my CAS files trying to find shots of Annie that I have,  If any of the rest of you have digital pictures of her or ones that you can scan into a computer you can email them to me teadams4@cox.net I am trying to put together a CD or multiple CD's of pictures to send to Will(Charlie) so he will have them as memories of his Mom.  She was definitely a special Lady and her passing will leave a void that willbe hard to fill.  Gotta go ther's dust getting in my eyes and I can't see the screen and the keyboard is getting damp.  :'(
If ya can't be fast it's good to be Lucky!
Official Irish Whiskey Taster
SASS 40271, WARTHOG, Darksider, Dirty RATS, RO2

Offline Marshal Will Wingam

• Garden Variety
  • Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Smile. It makes people wonder what you're up to.
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 307
« Reply #10 on: March 02, 2006, 10:16:01 AM »
I enjoyed her wit. She was able to bring a smile to my face and did so many, many times. Her posts were treasures.

I think the really fortunate people were the ones who knew her in person.

Her blackberry jam was good enough to die for.

SCORRS     SASS     BHR     STORM #446

Offline Camille Eonich

• Top Active Citizen
    • Stump Water and Camille Eonich's Website
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 2
« Reply #11 on: March 02, 2006, 04:23:24 PM »
Her blackberry jam was good enough to die for.

Her blackberry jelly was awesome too!  I think that I still have some preserves or something in the fridge.

She loved her hats and her pretty corsets.  I don't think that I have ever met anyone with as much self-confidence as Annie Lee had.

Some of you may understand this and some may not but she made a great Nun.

Miss you Annie Lee!
“Extremism is so easy. You've got your position, and that's it. It doesn't take much thought. And when you go far enough to the right you meet the same idiots coming around from the left.”
― Clint Eastwood

Offline Marshal harpoluke

• Black Sash Gunfighter Lord of the Dark Soot
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Agapei Attack Sheep
  • Liked:
« Reply #12 on: March 02, 2006, 08:52:16 PM »
 :(

Never had the privilage of meeting Her face to face, but had some frank and honest postings and e-mails.

She would always stepin for the underdog.  She was kind to the less-lovable.

She brought balance to the forum, made people think---I'll miss her wit, humor, and Ele Kbong, (Le Ping).

Yes, She knew Da Sheep is my Rascal Scooter/electric wheelchair.  We had a lot of laughs bout Da Sheep v Le Ping, and of course Da Chicken.

::)

:D

;D

There just arn't words to express My since of loss.

:'(

SASS 60019L
NRA Life
CASS
Muckraker
Straight Shooter
Army Veteran
GOFWG#269
LASOOS#35s,
Lookout fur da sheep, packs a 10ga.,
Ya loot, Ah Shoot,
Lord of the Dark Soot,
Prayer Posse,
GoofBall #12

Offline Forty Rod

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #13 on: March 02, 2006, 11:48:20 PM »
Annie became one of my best friends faster than any other except my wife.  She seemed to be so “in tune” with my thoughts and moods, even from 2,500 miles away, that I could talk to her and come away feeling better for it.

I can’t begin to express how much loss I feel at her passing, but I want to tell you about a couple of occasions that we shared.

Before I ever corresponded with her about anything serious she posted about putting up blackberry jams.  I mentioned that I love blackberry jam and she sent me half-dozen jars within a few days.  Of course the post office lost them for three months, but we only lost one jar to spoilage.

On another occasion she and I had a disagreement about some trivial thing…I honestly don’t remember what it was…and I didn’t hear from her for several days.  I e-mailed and asked if we were okay, did I really tick her off.  She sent me back a message that if I had I wouldn’t have to ask.  It would be very apparent that she was angry.

I joined in on a thread and, again I don’t recall what led up to it, I sent her the message, “Blush for me, Annie.”  She came back raising hell because “You actually made me blush.  How did you do that?”

When she adopted the little skillet and was searching for a name, I was delighted and proud when I suggested Le Ping and she took it without hesitation.

Somewhere along the line she thought I reminded her of Fonzie.  Again, I have no recollection of the reason, only that for months I was referred to on the wire as Forty Fonzai.  Go figure.

In the few days since her passing my world has become smaller, colder, and much less comfortable.  I don’t expect that to change anytime soon.

She had told me of a planned business trip out here to California this Spring and I was so much looking forward to meeting her in person.  It looks like that meeting has been postponed for a spell.

Will, I would be happy to have you contact me anytime you fell the need, and if you are ever on the left coast, please let me know.  If I can’t meet Annie, perhaps I can meet you.

Be well, and have a great future.  I hope you do well in whatever field you choose for yourself.

I’d like to ask one favor:  please give your Aunt Joyce a hug and my thanks for being there when Annie and you needed her.

People like me are the reason people like you have the right to bitch about people like me.

Offline Frenchie

• "We have met the enemy, and he is us." - Pogo
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Photo by Julio Zangroniz @ "September Storm", 2007
  • Liked:
« Reply #14 on: March 03, 2006, 12:30:38 AM »
I had no chance to meet her; my regrettable loss. I enjoyed reading everything she posted. Carefree, confident, open, she had so much joie de vivre and bonhomie that it just flowed out and covered you all warm and comfortable, even through the glowing screen.

The world is duller and flatter now. We will go on, sadder, yes, but inspired and warmed by having known her.

Make Your face to shine upon her, Lord...
Yours, &c.,

Guy 'Frenchie' LaFrance
Vous pouvez voir par mes vêtements que je ne suis pas un cowboy.

Offline Deadringer

• Dirty deeds done dirt cheap
  • Citizen
  • Deadringer at K.C.'s Corral
    • K.C.'s Corral Mechanicsville Virigina
  • Liked:
« Reply #15 on: March 03, 2006, 09:42:03 AM »
Annie was one of a kind.

I had the honor on meeting Annie after several posts back and forth here and on other CAS sites. We finally met at a Black Creek shoot after Pungo had shut down. The first thing she did when she saw me was reach out for a hug. Thats the kind of person she was. Everyone was family to her.

We had fun at teasing each other about that days shooting efforts. Usually I took the brunt of it. Annie was an accomplished shooter, even if she said she wasn't. But she always made sure that I understood that she was just kiddin around so as to not hurt my feelings.

She came down for the first ever two day match at Black Creek in August. It was blazing hot both days. I can only imagine how hot she was under the corset and such. But not once did she complain or say she wanted to go. True cowboy...er... cowgirl all the way.

I will always remember Annie at the line blastin away gunfighter, with El Kabong in it own holster on her gunbelt.

Annie was so respected, that she was nominated and elected to be our clubs Treasurer. I was looking forward be seeing her each month.

As it has been said, she found out about her illness the week before Christmas. She did not want anyone to know but a select few. I found out three days after our December match. She came down to wish everyone a happy holiday. She was in a lot of pain and on pain meds so she didn't shoot. I passed by her car and found her sleeping. I too, didn't want to awaken her. But before I left the range that day, she hunted me down and gave me a jar of her famous jam. I still have it. Its the best I have ever had. But now I don't want to use it. I would rather save what I have left.

Three days later, it was reveal to a few of us the she had cancer and would not be able to serve as our Treasurer. I felt like I had been sucker punched as did everyone else in the room. Five days later was Christmas. All I could think of was "How is Annie doing?"

I could never make up to see her. I am grateful to Sam Hades and the others that could. She would do the same for all of us.

God Bless Annie. Shoot clean and fast and I will see you again.

DR
Deadringer
S.A.S.S. # 57864 Life
R.O. II

Offline Delmonico

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
« Reply #16 on: March 03, 2006, 06:48:21 PM »
She loved flannel, she ordered a flannel camisole, pantaloons and petticoat last year before Christmas, our shipping Dept shipped them the same day they came in and we joked on Tall Tales how I didn't get to fondle her un-mentionables before they were shipped.

I had a good thought about Annie yesterday, it was in the 70's here in Newbrasky and I got around to trimming and cleaning up my roses.  They got neglected last year when I was sick and Annie wished she lived closer so she could pull the weeds for me.

I mentioned one time that I had about 2 dozen long-stemmed roses of all colors in vases around the house, she wanted to know my secret, I told her, she thought a minute and laughed saying it made sense if you understand chemistry.

So yesterday when I was sprinkling my odds and ends of gunpowder on my "Warthog Roses" it made me think of here and her love of growing flowers.
Mongrel Historian

Always get the water for the coffee upstream from the herd.

Ab Ovo Usque ad Mala

The time has passed so quick, the years all run together now.

Offline Curley Cole

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #17 on: March 04, 2006, 06:30:28 PM »
For never having met MIz Lee, I am surprised how much her loss has affected me...I went back last nite and read thru about 1/3 of Kumbuya Part Duex, and was laffing out loud in my office. She had a quick and sharp wit...Me and Old Top loved to tap into that and her knowledge of music. Part Deux should be put in book form...it says a lot.

I only got 1 jar of her jam. I regret I couldn't get a jar of my Apple Butter to her before she got sick.

I will miss her from afar....Joyce and Wil/Charile, you had a gem, keep in touch....

a sad Curley.....
The pipes are playing Amazing Grace in the back ground......
RIP MIZ LEE....
Scars are tatoos with better stories.
The Cowboys
Silver Queen Mine Regulators
dammit gang

Offline Curley Cole

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #18 on: March 04, 2006, 06:34:18 PM »

A final rose for Miz Lee, (she really liked this flower pix when I posted it for her on the thread...)

good nite Miz Lee.

cc
Scars are tatoos with better stories.
The Cowboys
Silver Queen Mine Regulators
dammit gang

Offline Four-Eyed Buck

• Top Active Citizen
  • Tusco LongRiders,
  • Liked:
« Reply #19 on: March 04, 2006, 06:45:21 PM »
Curly, You old softy............ :'( :'(
I might be slow, but I'm mostly accurate.....

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com