Author Topic: Wish lists...  (Read 3060 times)

Offline Snake Oil

• Snake Oil
  • NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • A day shooting is good for what ails ya!
  • NCOWS #: L-198
  • GAF #: 889
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 44
Wish lists...
« on: September 16, 2022, 10:39:37 PM »
Recently it was asked, "What is your favorite gun?"

I am curious what is on your shopping list and why? 
A day shooting is good for what ails ya!

Offline Froogal

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • NCOWS #: 3882
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 573
Re: Wish lists...
« Reply #1 on: September 17, 2022, 08:15:41 AM »
Several on my wish list, but until brass for those calibers becomes readily available again, none will be on my shopping list.

Offline ira scott

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • AKA: Broken Nose Scotty
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 59
« Reply #2 on: September 17, 2022, 09:12:23 AM »
PRIMERS!  The situation around here, (Eastern NE) has not appreciably improved over the past year.  I envision more folks shooting 2-gun classes next year if things don't change for the better.

B.N. Scotty
It is far better to remain silent, and be thought a fool, than to speak and remove all doubt!

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 04:51:18 AM »

Offline Coffinmaker

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 125
« Reply #3 on: September 17, 2022, 09:27:05 AM »

:)  Ha!!  ;)

None of the above.  I want the switch to Daylight Savings to be PERMANENT!!

People are Still Contagious.  Avoid 'Em

Offline Mogorilla

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • NCOWS #: 3306
  • GAF #: 883
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 95
« Reply #4 on: September 17, 2022, 09:40:34 AM »
Interesting question.  I just divested myself of several percussion guns.  Plan was to get enough script to convert my dance to cartridge.  Read that the conversion is permanent, so i hesitated.   Then i realized i needed new boots, then I found where i could back order some 44-40. Then i ordered some leather for an upcoming winter project and i am back to being broke.   >:(      I am a 2-gun shooter and ammo is still a concern.   And like Frugal, not buying until ammo can be obtained.   

Coffin my lad, i am with you.  It passed the Senate in March or May.   House has yet to act upon it.   

Offline Major 2

• "Still running against the wind"
  • Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • NCOWS #: 3032
  • GAF #: 785
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 415
« Reply #5 on: September 17, 2022, 06:27:59 PM »
One or the other ! I don't care which, just dump Spring Forward, Fall back ::)
when planets align...do the deal !

Offline OklaTom

• NCOWS Judge, NCOWS Life 172, GAF 719, SASS 73114, NRA Life, TSRA, Berger Sharp Shooters, Blue River Regulators, Kansas Vigilance Committee
  • Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Bryan Buck
    • 3B Shooting Supply
  • SASS #: 73114
  • NCOWS #: L-172
  • GAF #: 719
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 60
« Reply #6 on: September 19, 2022, 06:02:20 PM »
Interesting question.  I just divested myself of several percussion guns.  Plan was to get enough script to convert my dance to cartridge.  Read that the conversion is permanent, so i hesitated.   Then i realized i needed new boots, then I found where i could back order some 44-40. Then i ordered some leather for an upcoming winter project and i am back to being broke.   >:(      I am a 2-gun shooter and ammo is still a concern.   And like Frugal, not buying until ammo can be obtained.   

Coffin my lad, i am with you.  It passed the Senate in March or May.   House has yet to act upon it.

FYI, the Dance Conversion (I have one almost finished) is not necessarily permanent - just can't use the original Dance cylinder as it will be too short after shortening the barrel bulb (back of barrel) to fit the conversion cylinder. However, once converted, a spare Pietta Army 44 cylinder can be used and still shoot C&B. It is for this reason, my conversion will not have an ejector assembly fitted to it.
"I druther have a pocket full of rocks than an empty gun..."

OklaTom@att.net

Offline Mogorilla

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • NCOWS #: 3306
  • GAF #: 883
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 95
« Reply #7 on: September 19, 2022, 06:24:28 PM »
Thanks!  We did not get to finish that conversation at Ruckus.   Still on the table, just need to rebuild my stash of cash. 

Offline Major 2

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #8 on: September 19, 2022, 09:07:52 PM »
Interesting question...

stepping aside from the DST debacle

There is nothing really on my wish list, then again whatever strikes my fancy, as I say "when the planets align"  ;)  (one of the planets would have to be a rebuilt stash)

would not mind an 1895 Military carbine, I have a Browning rifle, but a carbine would suit me right down to the ground.

Offline Snake Oil

• Snake Oil
  • NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #9 on: September 19, 2022, 09:29:17 PM »
I'm always on the lookout for something new... can't always afford it or brave the risk of couch dwelling, so planets aligning indeed... I have my heart set on an 1860 henry at some point...(wistful sigh)

Offline OklaTom

• NCOWS Judge, NCOWS Life 172, GAF 719, SASS 73114, NRA Life, TSRA, Berger Sharp Shooters, Blue River Regulators, Kansas Vigilance Committee
  • Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Bryan Buck
    • 3B Shooting Supply
  • SASS #: 73114
  • NCOWS #: L-172
  • GAF #: 719
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 60
« Reply #10 on: September 19, 2022, 11:01:07 PM »
I am looking for an Iver Johnson Copperhead 1911 45ACP. Other than that, nothing for my wish list.
"I druther have a pocket full of rocks than an empty gun..."

OklaTom@att.net

Offline Coffinmaker

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 125
« Reply #11 on: September 20, 2022, 08:41:35 AM »

:)  MoGo  ;)

Oklahoma beat me to it.  Here be the deal.  Pietta builds ALL their percussion guns on the 1851 Platform.  All the Lock Works and Sub Assemblies fit all the guns, um, sort of.  Kinda almost but not quite.  Some fitting required, sometimes.  SO:  You "may" be able to do your Dance Cartridge conversion.  "MAY".  You still have the problem of fitting a stepped cylinder to a flat Water Table.  Once you solve that issue, you will have a myriad of swappable parts to choose from.  You can even go back to "Dance" if you want to shell out for a replacement barrel.

Personally elected to convert a pair of 1860s and left my pair of Dance alone.  Except to become SNUBBIES.

Offline Bunk

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 10
« Reply #12 on: September 20, 2022, 12:13:43 PM »
On my wish list is I wish I had not bought (at a good price) an1851 Uberti Navy to be "Kristened" to shoot .38 Short Colt using the original .375" bore. It would seem Umberto the gun butcher used a hammer to assemble it and torqued three of the firing coned down to 1/4 inch pound pf stripping the threads. To top things off he must have used  a very large hammer to seat the barrel and drive in the wedge.
Bohannon did not drive spikes in as tight as that wedge.
The whole shebang went off to Hoof Hearted and he can figure it out and hopefully fix it.
Uberti QC must be done by a partly trained rat and badly trained  at that.
Respectfully
Bunk
P.S. I am not a big Uberti fan, but I guess you figured that one out.

Offline mtmarfield

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1637
« Reply #13 on: September 21, 2022, 12:06:10 AM »
      Greetings, ALL!

Having had the distinct pleasure of shooting an Colt's 1902 Philippine Constabulary .45 DAA with .45 Colt BP cartridges, I would be THRILLED
to see a replica of Colt's 1878 DAA chambered for all of the "dash-cartridges", with all of the standard barrel lengths and finishes!
   My FIRST choice would be a 4-3/4" .38WCF...!

May the Italian Gun Gods be PROPITIOUS!

M.T.M.

Offline Pitspitr

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • 308 214-0082 45551 Rd 816, Sargent NE 68874 USA
    • Grand Army of the Frontier
  • SASS #: 74523
  • NCOWS #: L187
  • GAF #: 147
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 2
« Reply #14 on: September 21, 2022, 05:11:59 AM »
1903 Colt Hammerless, but I too am "Froogal" (or perhaps just cheap, tight, miserly or some other adjective) It is on my shopping list too and someday I'll find one I think I can afford.

M82A1 Barrett. It probably will forever remain on the wish list and never actually join the colt on the shopping list.

Like Major, sometimes things just tickle my fancy. Like yesterday. I was in one of my favorite toy stores and they had the below. I would have loved to have had the $6300 laying around that I didn't otherwise need
I remain, Your Ob'd Servant,
Jerry M. "Pitspitr" Davenport
(Bvt.)Brigadier General Commanding,
Grand Army of the Frontier
BC/IT, Expert, Sharpshooter, Marksman, CC, SoM
NRA CRSO, RVWA IIT2; SASS ROI, ROII;
NRA Benefactor Life; AZSA Life; NCOWS Life

Offline Major 2

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #15 on: September 21, 2022, 06:32:32 AM »
Had to carve mine out of wood from a photo, that is as close as I'll ever get.  :-X

MMM... Colt 1903 Hammerless would be sweet :)

Offline Pitspitr

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • 308 214-0082 45551 Rd 816, Sargent NE 68874 USA
    • Grand Army of the Frontier
  • SASS #: 74523
  • NCOWS #: L187
  • GAF #: 147
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 2
« Reply #16 on: September 21, 2022, 02:01:26 PM »
Had to carve mine out of wood from a photo, that is as close as I'll ever get.
My son does that, only his are about 2X scale. He's done an AR, an AK and a Thompson they are almost 6' long
I remain, Your Ob'd Servant,
Jerry M. "Pitspitr" Davenport
(Bvt.)Brigadier General Commanding,
Grand Army of the Frontier
BC/IT, Expert, Sharpshooter, Marksman, CC, SoM
NRA CRSO, RVWA IIT2; SASS ROI, ROII;
NRA Benefactor Life; AZSA Life; NCOWS Life

Offline RattlesnakeJack

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 9
« Reply #17 on: September 21, 2022, 04:39:06 PM »
1903 Colt Hammerless, but I too am "Froogal" (or perhaps just cheap, tight, miserly or some other adjective) It is on my shopping list too and someday I'll find one I think I can afford.

Jerry: 

Eat your heart out,my friend … but I recently acquired this Colt 1903 in an online auction for a successful bid of Can$110.00! (about US$82.00 currently) …  ;D

There aren't many positive things about existence under Canada's idiotic firearms laws, but one thing is that I happen to be "grandfathered" to own and acquire "prohibited handguns".

One type of firearm legally "prohibited" in Canada is "handguns with a barrel length of 105 mm or less or that discharge .25 or .32 calibre ammunition", but under section 12(6) of the Firearms Act, anyone who already legally owned at least one such handgun when that prohition came into effect, is "grandfathered" to not only continue to own (and shoot) it, but also to legally acquire, own, and shoot any other handgun covered by the definition.  (It is not legally possible to acquire this "grandfathered" status in any other way, and one can only dispose of such handguns to another person wo is also "grandfathered" … OR they can be passed on to a child … who then can legally own them and pass them on similarly, but cannot acquire more. One of my two daughters has her Possession and Acquisition License, and owns firearms, so ...) 

Because of the "prohibition" in Canada, with the resulting very limited market for such handguns, prices for them are ridiculously low in this country, and I have decided to keep my eyes open with a view to acquiring a mini-collection of pre-WWII .32ACP (and possibly also .25ACP) handguns.  In the same auction, I also picked up TWO nice Browning Model 1900 .32ACP pistols (one for Can$90 and the other for Can$80 … didn't expect both bids to win!) Furthermore, in another upcoming auction (scheduled for Sept 29) I currently have the high bids on a Savage Model 1907, two Mauser Model1910s and two Browning Model 1910s, among a few others …  could end up owning a few more duplicates!  I am currently "high bidder" on some of these at Can$10.00!  (Mind you, my maximum bids are higher, of course, and bidding will jump up when the time of the actual auction rolls around.)
Rattlesnake Jack Robson, Scout, Rocky Mountain Rangers, North West Canada, 1885
Major John M. Robson, Royal Scots of Canada, 1883-1901
Sgt. John Robson, Queen's Own Rifles of Canada, 1885
Bvt. Col, Commanding International Dept. and Div.  of Canada, Grand Army of the Frontier

Offline Snake Oil

• Snake Oil
  • NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #18 on: September 21, 2022, 05:59:33 PM »
Very jealous!!  Those do not sell so cheap here!

Offline Major 2

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #19 on: September 21, 2022, 08:00:07 PM »
"Those do not sell so cheap here!"

You can say the again !

I have a few pre-WW2 and a couple of WW1 , most are bring's back
I have a friendly FFL that calls me when they happen to come in.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com