Author Topic: Looking for the name of the engraver  (Read 121 times)

Offline Original Noah Mercy

• Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 3
Looking for the name of the engraver
« on: September 16, 2022, 02:36:51 PM »
So a buddy fell on hard times and is looking to sell a gun that was purchased new by his granddad. It's a 1904 Frontier Six Shooter that was silver plated (hammer is gold plated) and has over 80% engraving. The grips are eagle-and-shield mother of pearl. It is a little rough (stored poorly for half a century) but mechanically sound, and far more accurate than I would have credited. For all intents and purposes, wherever the sights are, that's where the bullet goes...at least with my loads using hand-cast soft bullets/lube. He's having me do some research on it so I can help him find a new owner who will cherish it. His kids have no interest in anything that isn't aluminum/plastic and high-capacity.

I do not necessarily like pimptastic guns, but I find this one a real eye-catcher largely due to the age and knowing it's a shooter and not a safe queen.

Do any of you recognize the engraving? It does not appear to be a true Nimschke style, but I was hoping someone among the "Colties" on here may have an idea. I will get a factory letter (which may shed some light on whether it was factory engraved or shipped soft), but right now I am not able to afford a letter for him if it turns out it was factory...they add a hefty surcharge for that.

Hope y'all enjoy the snaps of a piece of Americana...

Offline branman

• Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: Looking for the name of the engraver
« Reply #1 on: September 17, 2022, 07:30:33 PM »
google this it will help

"AmericanRelic.pdf"   or paste this link if it dosnt auto load    https://electricscotland.com/history/articles/AmericanRelic.pdf

Offline Tascosa Joe

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • SASS #: 2770
  • NCOWS #: L-168
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 5
Re: Looking for the name of the engraver
« Reply #2 on: September 18, 2022, 03:50:51 PM »
You might try the Colt Forum.  The pattern is very similar to some of Colt's Factory engraving.
NRA Life, TSRA Life, NCOWS  Life

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2022 CAScity.com