Author Topic: Pocket Revolver, rimfire to centerfire  (Read 1313 times)

Offline Story

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 53
Pocket Revolver, rimfire to centerfire
« on: August 27, 2022, 09:40:06 AM »
I know it should be fairly straightforward (redo firing pin on hammer, redrill firing pin hole in frame) but has anyone specifically done a revolver and can share insights?
@NDNCF did a rolling block ages ago. https://www.cascity.com/forumhall/index.php?topic=25461.msg333665#msg333665

Reason I ask is this Rupertus has a floppy/dead hand and would be a good candidate for this experiment.

Offline St. George

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • NCOWS , GAF, B.O.L.D., Order of St. George, SOCOM,
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: Pocket Revolver, rimfire to centerfire
« Reply #1 on: August 28, 2022, 09:32:38 AM »
Far easier to replace the spring and keep the originality, than to chance a wrought iron frame.

Scouts Out!
"It Wasn't Cowboys and Ponies - It Was Horses and Men.
It Wasn't Schoolboys and Ladies - It Was Cowtowns and Sin..."

Offline Reverend P. Babcock Chase

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: August 28, 2022, 10:19:20 AM »
Howdy St.,

If your revolver is a rimfire for which ammo is no longer available and has no real collector value, I'd consider the conversion. That said, I would recommend BP only loads. Maybe have a gunsmith check the frame for cracks or weaknesses.

Good luck and shoot it with your off hand.

Rev. Chase

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 06:53:14 PM »

Offline Story

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: August 28, 2022, 07:44:58 PM »
Howdy St.,

If your revolver is a rimfire for which ammo is no longer available and has no real collector value, I'd consider the conversion. That said, I would recommend BP only loads. Maybe have a gunsmith check the frame for cracks or weaknesses.

Good luck and shoot it with your off hand.

Rev. Chase

You're responding to St George, who responded to me, who originally posed the question.  ;D

Offline Story

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: August 28, 2022, 07:45:58 PM »
Far easier to replace the spring and keep the originality, than to chance a wrought iron frame.

Yup, even easier is doing absolutely nothing at all.

Meanwhile, precedence exists https://lsstuff.com/howdah/ha32.html

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: August 28, 2022, 10:10:04 PM »
Howdy Story,

Sorry. I didn't scroll enough before I added my unsolicited advise. I still stand by my original thoughts. I have a bizarre Belgian rimfire converted pocket revolver that has no caliber or ammo markings. It needed a spring which I tried to fashion with limited success. It now sits in my safe doing nothing. Unfortunate, but lack of ammo, in your case, may not be a problem.

Rev. Chase

Offline Story

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: August 30, 2022, 01:03:59 PM »
Just noodling, but since a .32 is @ 8mm so the firing pin/hole would need to be shifted 4mm (half the diameter) to hit centerfire primers.

Given the current shape of the firing pin, I'd say the revolver served in many Cowboys & Indians fights.

Those slots between cylinders act as safeties, for the firing pin to lock the cylinder in place. Also, it fires from what I consider the half-cock.

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: August 30, 2022, 01:38:41 PM »
Howdy Story,

With the trigger/half cock issue, that may make the conversion even more problematic (costly). In addition, the cylinder walls look awfully thin. All that being said, first I'd see what .32 ammo will chamber. Regarding firing pin hole, take a deprimed case and drill out the cavity to just allow a long punch to be centered, then use the chambered shell and punch to mark the breech face. That's where your hole needs to be. Maybe even a slim, fine point marker could also be used.

Them's my thoughts,

Rev. Chase

Offline Ironbadger

• Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
« Reply #8 on: November 15, 2022, 02:16:55 AM »
Have you considered Dixie gun works rimfire adapter cartridges?

They make them in a bunch of calibers, and they work by thumb pressing a round ball of appropriate diameter into the case mouth using around 5 grains of black powder.
There is a cutout in the rim for a .22 blank shell to light it off.
You just have to make sure you load the cartridge lined up with the blank under the hammer is all.

They listed these in their catalogs for decades, so I am decently sure they still carry them.

Badger

Offline Coffinmaker

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 125
« Reply #9 on: November 15, 2022, 09:47:37 AM »

Looking at the overall condition and especially the cylinder, I wouldn’t recommend converting it to anything other than wall hanger or paperweight.

Be Safe Out There

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com