Author Topic: Kinda neat!  (Read 5854 times)

Offline Forty Rod

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Kinda neat!
« on: April 10, 2005, 01:22:32 AM »
I got home from Trail Town this afternoon, unloaded the car and then took the dog and went to the mailbox without changing my clothes.

Lady next door, African-American, just moved in with her sister who's lived there maybe five years or more, took a look at me, laughed, and asked where I was going dressed like that.

I'd talked to her 10 year old daughter yesterday while I was loading to leave, so I told her where I'd been and what I'd been doing.

She wasn't all that interested in shooting, but was real fascinated by the costuming part.  We talked for about twenty minutes and I didn't think much more about it until a few minutes ago.  I went out to make my usual rounds and let the dog run a bit before bed and she and her husband came over and we talked some more.

The biggest concerns were safety and if there were any black people there or would they look stupid.  I mentioned a half dozen African-Americans, then threw out the fact that I'd had my son's Mexican in-laws with me part of today, and that I'd seen at least a dozen Indians, several Orientals, and some folks that must have come from another planet.  At the end I mentioned Hopalong Cassidy and Abe Lincon, both excellently done, and the husband perked right up.

They're going down tomorrow to check it out and taking the kids with them.  She'll be checking out clothes and he'll be looking forr all the folks who he remebers from early TV and his school history classes.

You neverr know...!
People like me are the reason people like you have the right to bitch about people like me.

Offline Joyce (AnnieLee)

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
Re: Kinda neat!
« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2005, 09:03:27 AM »
It is neat, Forty!

I can understand their reluctance about it and it's cool they are interested enough to approach you about it.

Good going.

:-*

AnnieLee

Unrepentant WartHog
Heathen Gunfighter
Pepper Mill Creek Gang
RATS
and
Wielder of "Elle KaBong", the WartHog cast iron skillet
Nasty Lady

Offline Cherokee Jem

• Very Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: April 10, 2005, 09:22:21 AM »
 Great job dude! This sport is all about having fun, and as long as they find enjoyment, its great!
thanks for spreading interest in our sport!!!

JEM
Went following some tracks, almost got hit by a train.... :D  
Don't tell my horse that your out of food...
Have gun, will travel, just not by air...

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 09:45:45 PM »

Offline Trinity

• AKA the Chicory Kid
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Here's to Miss AnnieLee!
    • Trinity aka Chicory Kid Rides
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: April 10, 2005, 10:21:13 AM »
All-right Forty!  I too can understand their reluctance because shooting sports have been for so long dominated by "rednecks", or at least perceived so. 

That's one of the things that I like about our sport is that it really isn't filled with rednecks.  Should anyone call themselves such, it is only in jest because I have not yet met any of the "bad" types.
"Finest partner I ever had.  Cleans his paws and buries his leavin's.  Lot more than some folks I know."

"I fumbled through my closet for my clothes, And found my cleanest dirty shirt" - K.Kristofferson

Offline Delmonico

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
« Reply #4 on: April 10, 2005, 10:49:13 AM »
Good fer you pard. thats one of the reason I refuse to, not wear my "Old West" clothing.  I've gave improptue lectures on Cowboy shooting and ren-acting and history in some strange places.   ;D ;D

The word red-neck though is one I refuse to use in it's modern abused context, kinda like the "G" word.  For what most folks call red-necks today I perfer the word trash, it is a better description. ;D

I also consider the guy that has got rich makin' fun of such folks even lower than the folks he makes fun of, the Rossanne of the southern world. :P
Mongrel Historian

Always get the water for the coffee upstream from the herd.

Ab Ovo Usque ad Mala

The time has passed so quick, the years all run together now.

Offline Forty Rod

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: April 10, 2005, 06:53:53 PM »
We're back.

The folks got about three hundred pounds of business cxards, fell in love with all sorts of stuff, drank sarsaparilla for the first time, and had a good time.

Don't know if they'll go any further with it or not, but it looks fairly promising.

She was all agog over the Victorian "Pretties", he was just grinning at everything in general.

People like me are the reason people like you have the right to bitch about people like me.

Offline Old Top

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: April 10, 2005, 10:03:54 PM »
Forty Rod,

I was looking for you out there but oviously I did not run into you.  Other then that I had a great time.

Old Top
I only shoot to support my reloading habit.

Offline Four-Eyed Buck

• Top Active Citizen
  • Tusco LongRiders,
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: April 10, 2005, 10:29:46 PM »
Good going there, Forty. There aren't that many interested here. I think we had one coming for about one season a few years back. The guy he was partnered with got married and quit coming and so did he. Weren't no problems with him bein' there when he did come. If I remember right, he was shootin' some JW commemoratives.........Buck 8) ::) ;)
I might be slow, but I'm mostly accurate.....

Offline Delmonico

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
« Reply #8 on: April 10, 2005, 10:31:20 PM »
If she likes the pretties, they be back. ;D
Mongrel Historian

Always get the water for the coffee upstream from the herd.

Ab Ovo Usque ad Mala

The time has passed so quick, the years all run together now.

Offline Silver Creek Slim

• Buckaroo
  • Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • NCOWS #: 2329
  • GAF #: 144
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 108
« Reply #9 on: April 11, 2005, 11:29:22 AM »
Way to go, Forty!  ;D

Slim
NCOWS 2329, WartHog, SCORRS, SBSS, BHR, GAF, RBCS, Dirty RATS, BTBM, IPSAC, Cosie-in-training
I love the smell of Black Powder in the morning!

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com