Author Topic: shoot...or rather...not shooting...  (Read 4104 times)

Offline tarheel mac

• Top Active Citizen
  • SASS Number 69437 WARTHOG!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
shoot...or rather...not shooting...
« on: March 07, 2005, 05:02:52 AM »
I have just bought a (used) EMF, from a SASS member I took it out yesterday to ring it out and hopefully get the sights adjusted...Now I know EMF isn't the top of the line in the clones, but I lke them, and the one I had 20 years ago was great.. but this thing started misfiring about halfway through the first box of ammo..

Inspecting it, I noticed it wasn't indexing worth a flip...I would cock it, and then have to rotate the cylinder by hand to get the primer centered under the hammer.  and I also noiced (and didn't think much about it at the time) that one or two screws seemed to be working loose.  Finally, about half way through the second box, it quit altogether...I took it home, (cussing and fumeing every step of the way..)and at home, found every screw in the thing had loosen badly. I tightened them up again...but am not sure it will hold...So how big of a problem do I have guys?

Oh I was shooting PMC  .45 Colt, 250 gr. lead bullet loads, listed by PMC as having a muzzle velocity of 800 fps.

Offline Micheal Fortune

• Top Active Citizen
    • Micheal Fortune
  • Liked:
Re: shoot...or rather...not shooting...
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2005, 11:03:19 AM »
tarheel, The timing or indexing problem needs to be addressed by someone capable, not me.

But the screw problem I am familiar with.  I own a couple of cattlemen, also made by Uberti.

The screws work loose.  Some faster than others.  Because you need to tear her down all the way once in a while for cleaning and maintenance and such you can't "lock tite" them down.

Always use the proper screwdriver so you don't bugger up the screw heads and keep them tight.  I go over all of mine ever couple of practice rounds and before every match.

At almost every match I have been at some one had dropped a screw out of a pistol or rifle.  Yesterday it was plunger retaining assembly which ended up in a borrowed gun for the rest of the match.
Saloon Keeper, Gambler, Shootist
Sun River Rangers Shooting Society / SASS 60159 / R.O.-1 / SBSS 1685 / G.O.F.W.G. 89 / RATS 58 / KGC 4 /

Offline Delmonico

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2005, 11:23:42 AM »
Just use a couple of wraps of Teflon plumber's tape.  Never had any proplem removing or any such treated come loose and even better it is cheaper than loc-tite.  Ya also don't have to worry about spilling it on yer clothing and causing "Perriod Incorrect" stains.

One should always only have "Period Correct" stains so the "Stain Police" don't get ya. ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

But I am serious about the plumbers tape. ;)
Mongrel Historian

Always get the water for the coffee upstream from the herd.

Ab Ovo Usque ad Mala

The time has passed so quick, the years all run together now.

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 10:52:36 AM »

Offline Micheal Fortune

• Top Active Citizen
    • Micheal Fortune
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: March 07, 2005, 12:13:00 PM »
Hey Del that teflon tape is a great idea, thanks!  :D

I'm not sure I would want to know about period correct stains! :o ;) ;D
Saloon Keeper, Gambler, Shootist
Sun River Rangers Shooting Society / SASS 60159 / R.O.-1 / SBSS 1685 / G.O.F.W.G. 89 / RATS 58 / KGC 4 /

Offline tarheel mac

• Top Active Citizen
  • SASS Number 69437 WARTHOG!
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: March 07, 2005, 12:17:34 PM »
Thanks guys for your prompt answers...

Micheal:  I've got a sneaky suspicion that the timing/indexing problem was caused by them bandy-fluking loose screws...and in tightening them, I did mar a single screw...I'm real proud of me... ;D

Del:  I've been a re-enactor for 30 years, and still go out to the encampments toting my flinter sometime...I know all the tricks for avoiding the "Stain Police..."

Offline Delmonico

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
« Reply #5 on: March 07, 2005, 01:23:10 PM »
TH:  As the Cosie in camp I would just give them an unseen dose of castor oil and send them to the woods with out toilet paper.   ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D
Mongrel Historian

Always get the water for the coffee upstream from the herd.

Ab Ovo Usque ad Mala

The time has passed so quick, the years all run together now.

Offline Mustang Gregg

• .44 BP GUNFIGHTER
  • Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • LtCol Mustang Gregg & Col Pitspitr at NE CSG 2007
    • Wild West Arms
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 9
« Reply #6 on: March 19, 2005, 06:47:43 PM »
Maybe that castor oil is lettin' them screws get LOOSE, Delmonico. ::)
"I have two guns.  {CLICK--CLICK}  One for each of ya."
  BACK FROM AFGHANISTAN!!
"Mustang Gregg" Clement-----NRA LIFER, since '72-----SASS Life & Territorial Governor-----GAF #64-----RATS #0 & Forum Moderator-----BP Warthog------Distinguished Pistol 2004------SAIROC & MMTC Instructor-----Owner of Wild West Arms, Inc. [gun shop] Table Rock, NE------CASTIN' & BLASTIN'!!!!
www.wildwestarms.net

Foothills Drifter

« Reply #7 on: March 20, 2005, 09:31:43 AM »
Howdy......
I have been accused of havin 'a few loose screws' so I check 'em all after each shoot (weather I clean 'm or not)
I have always been under the impression that  'a tight screw is a happy screw'  :o  ;D

Good shootin......
Vern... 8)

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com