Author Topic: Prayer Thread  (Read 27135 times)

Offline Texas Lawdog

• NCOWS Senator "Old School" Cop
  • Top Active Citizen
  • " We're all Here because We're not all There".
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: Prayer Thread
« Reply #40 on: August 24, 2009, 03:05:33 PM »
That's a good story, Del.
SASS#47185  RO I   ROII       NCOWS#2244  NCOWS Life #186  BOLD#393 GAF#318 SCORRS#1 SBSS#1485  WASA#666  RATS#111  BOSS#155  Storm#241 Henry 1860#92 W3G#1000  Warthog AZSA #28  American Plainsmen Society #69  Masonic Cowboy Shootist  Hiram's Rangers#18  FOP  Lt. Col  Grand Army of The Frontier, Life Member CAF
   Col.  CAF  NRA  TSRA   BOA  Dooley Gang  BOPP  ROWSS  Scarlet Mask Vigilance Society Great Lakes Freight and Mining Company  Cow Cracker Cavalry   Berger Sharpshooters "I had no Irons in the Fire". "Are you gonna pull those pistols or whistle Dixie"?

Offline Leo Tanner

• RATS #401 STORM 330
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Life is Good
  • Liked:
« Reply #41 on: August 24, 2009, 04:17:15 PM »
It reminds me of that old song from Pearl Harbor...

Down went the gunner a bullet was his fate
Down went the gunner an then the gunners mate
Out came the chaplain and he gave the boys a look
He manned the gun himself and he laid aside his book

"When you have to shoot, shoot.  Don't talk."
     Tuco--The Good the Bad and the Ugly

"First comes smiles, then lies.  Last is gunfire."
     Roland Deschain

"Every man steps in the manure now an again, trick is not ta stick yer foot in yer mouth afterward"

religio SENIOR est exordium of scientia : tamen fossor contemno sapientia quod instruction.

Offline Texas Lawdog

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #42 on: August 24, 2009, 05:52:23 PM »
Praise the Lord and Pass the Ammunition!
SASS#47185  RO I   ROII       NCOWS#2244  NCOWS Life #186  BOLD#393 GAF#318 SCORRS#1 SBSS#1485  WASA#666  RATS#111  BOSS#155  Storm#241 Henry 1860#92 W3G#1000  Warthog AZSA #28  American Plainsmen Society #69  Masonic Cowboy Shootist  Hiram's Rangers#18  FOP  Lt. Col  Grand Army of The Frontier, Life Member CAF
   Col.  CAF  NRA  TSRA   BOA  Dooley Gang  BOPP  ROWSS  Scarlet Mask Vigilance Society Great Lakes Freight and Mining Company  Cow Cracker Cavalry   Berger Sharpshooters "I had no Irons in the Fire". "Are you gonna pull those pistols or whistle Dixie"?

Advertising

« Reply #43 on: Today at 07:41:36 AM »

Offline Leo Tanner

• RATS #401 STORM 330
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Life is Good
  • Liked:
« Reply #43 on: August 24, 2009, 06:02:32 PM »
Thas right Pop, I knew ya'd be all over that one.

Roland Deschain

"Every man steps in the manure now an again, trick is not ta stick yer foot in yer mouth afterward"

religio SENIOR est exordium of scientia : tamen fossor contemno sapientia quod instruction.

Offline Texas Lawdog

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #44 on: August 24, 2009, 06:26:06 PM »
It's one of my favorites.

Offline Charlie Bowdre

• PISTOLARO .
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Charlie Bowdre
  • SASS #: 87747
  • GAF #: 502
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 5
« Reply #45 on: August 24, 2009, 08:53:06 PM »
Truth to those words.
Dutchy
"I'm too old to go soldiering any more , too stiff in the joints to ride point and too dam fat to wrestle drunks Any day they don't pat you on the face with a shovel is a good one"

BOLD 887 
Bvt.Major  Chaplain  GAF  502 
STORM 271 
SASS 87747
CHINOOK COUNTRY

Offline Delmonico

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
« Reply #46 on: August 24, 2009, 08:57:49 PM »
Used to shoot a lot with a former pastor at a former church the Ex and I went to.  when he got transfered we all got a page for a scap book to do for them, yep, pictures of us shooting and that line. ;D
Mongrel Historian

Always get the water for the coffee upstream from the herd.

Ab Ovo Usque ad Mala

The time has passed so quick, the years all run together now.

Offline Texas Lawdog

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #47 on: August 25, 2009, 08:37:40 AM »
Folks in Wartime need to feel that they're doin' God's work fighting the enemy.

Offline Charlie Bowdre

• PISTOLARO .
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Charlie Bowdre
  • Liked:
« Reply #48 on: August 25, 2009, 11:17:27 AM »
Old saying likely true

No atheists in foxholes ... or as we call em north of the Medicine Line ...slit trenches.
Dutchy
"I'm too old to go soldiering any more , too stiff in the joints to ride point and too dam fat to wrestle drunks Any day they don't pat you on the face with a shovel is a good one"

BOLD 887 
STORM 271 
SASS 87747
CHINOOK COUNTRY

Offline Leo Tanner

• RATS #401 STORM 330
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Life is Good
  • Liked:
« Reply #49 on: August 25, 2009, 12:52:04 PM »
I noticed that when Steve got out of boot camp he was a lot more religious than ever used to be.  Not in the annoying way, he just really appreciates knowing that HE is with him.  It was quite a change.

Roland Deschain

Offline Delmonico

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #50 on: August 25, 2009, 05:07:21 PM »
Old saying likely true

No atheists in foxholes ... or as we call em north of the Medicine Line ...slit trenches.
Dutchy

Interesting, down here or at least in Civil War times a slit trech is not a place you'd want to be in.   :P
Mongrel Historian

Ab Ovo Usque ad Mala

Offline Texas Lawdog

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #51 on: August 25, 2009, 07:08:41 PM »
If they are dropping in Artillery,  You take cover where you find it.

Offline Delmonico

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #52 on: August 25, 2009, 07:26:09 PM »
If they are dropping in Artillery,  You take cover where you find it.

Well of course, but given a biit of time I'd prefer other cover. :P
Mongrel Historian

Ab Ovo Usque ad Mala

Offline Leo Tanner

• RATS #401 STORM 330
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Life is Good
  • Liked:
« Reply #53 on: August 25, 2009, 08:35:42 PM »
I'm sure no one prayed harder than the cannon fodder.  Sometimes the upper ranks did some harsh things to achieve their goal.

Roland Deschain

Offline Texas Lawdog

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #54 on: August 26, 2009, 02:28:32 AM »
Descretion is the better part of Valor!

Offline WaddWatsonEllis

• Watt and Wadd Watson Ellis
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Howdy, Pardner! Sacramento, Ca here ....
  • Liked:
« Reply #55 on: August 26, 2009, 10:13:12 AM »
Reminds me of the sayin', attributed to several, but made known by the cartoonist Ernie Pyle;

"There are no atheists in foxholes'.

My moniker is my great grandfather's name. He served with the 2nd Florida Mounted Regiment in the Civil War. Afterward, he came home, packed his wife into a wagon, and was one of the first NorteAmericanos on the Frio River southwest of San Antonio ..... Kinda where present day Dilley is ...

"Courage is being scared to death and saddling up anyway." John Wayne
NCOWS #3403

Offline WaddWatsonEllis

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #56 on: August 26, 2009, 10:22:43 AM »
But getting back to the 'purpose' of this thread, I wanted to share a website with you.

Rick Warren of Saddleback Church and author of 'The Purpose Driven Life', has a webpage with a non-sectarian one or two page devotional.

I signed up for it and now get a daily devotional emailed to me to help me get my day started with the right perspective.

It now is so integral that my morning coffee and breakfast are not the same without my printed devotional to read with it.

Here is the webaddress to sign up:

http://www.purposedriven.com/profilecenter/openPreferencePage.do?trkid=ddnews

P.S. I appologize if this sounds like a sermon, but I feel so strongly about this that I am ready to take the chance with it .....

I am attaching this days devotional to this reply ...

Some of us, even though we’re believers, think whenever we’re having problems that God’s getting even with us; that God’s just trying to get back at us.

It’s like the guy who was driving up to a mountain lake and on the way up it starts snowing, so he gets out to put chains on his tires. While he’s doing this, another car comes along and slams into his car. And he watches in horror as his car goes over a cliff.

He continues up the mountain on foot, in the snow and sleet, and he’s getting sick from the cold. Then, as he rounds a corner, he sees that his cabin has burned down. He starts hitting his head against the wall, and asks, “Why me, God.” The heavens part and a voice says, “Because some people just tick me off.”

Some of you really feel that is the way God feels about you. You think that whenever you’ve got a problem, God is ticked off. But the Bible says, “I am the God who forgives your sins, and I do this because of who I am. I will not hold your sins against you” (Isaiah 43:25 TEV). God doesn’t hold a grudge. If you have received Jesus as your Savior, then there is no condemnation for those who are in Christ. He doesn't rub it in, he rubs it out. He doesn’t rehearse it, he releases it.

My moniker is my great grandfather's name. He served with the 2nd Florida Mounted Regiment in the Civil War. Afterward, he came home, packed his wife into a wagon, and was one of the first NorteAmericanos on the Frio River southwest of San Antonio ..... Kinda where present day Dilley is ...

NCOWS #3403

Offline Charlie Bowdre

• PISTOLARO .
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Charlie Bowdre
  • Liked:
« Reply #57 on: August 26, 2009, 11:14:06 AM »
WWE

Good words for sure. Not  a word of doubt.
Thank You for sharing.

Del
I know what ya mean>> ;D

God Bless and Stay Safe.

Dutchy

BOLD 887 
STORM 271 
SASS 87747
CHINOOK COUNTRY

Online Silver Creek Slim

• Buckaroo
  • Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • NCOWS #: 2329
  • GAF #: 144
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 110
« Reply #58 on: August 26, 2009, 09:20:52 PM »
Thanks fer sharing that, WaddWatsonEllis

Slim
NCOWS 2329, WartHog, SCORRS, SBSS, BHR, GAF, RBCS, Dirty RATS, BTBM, IPSAC, Cosie-in-training
I love the smell of Black Powder in the morning!

Offline WaddWatsonEllis

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #59 on: August 26, 2009, 11:04:56 PM »
SC Slim,

My pleasure ... I was hoping it would be liked as much as I do....

After a few weeks, as I said my cofee and cereal just doesn't taste right unless I have printed the mornings devotional and am reading it along with breakfast ....

I am a fairly dyed in the wool Philistine who is trying to change ... and Rick Warren's Devotionals seem to be chipping away at that flinty surface I have built up lo all these years ... yet gently enough  that I don't feel the abrasives ..... *S*

NCOWS #3403

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com