Author Topic: Spiller & Burr Mainspring question  (Read 1298 times)

Offline treebeard

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 16
Spiller & Burr Mainspring question
« on: September 21, 2020, 05:26:35 PM »
I have one of the Pietta Spiller and Burr cap revolvers which has an extremely strong mainspring. So the question is does there exist a replacement spring such as the Wolf that iightens up the hammer pull? i know that some people reduce the width or depth of the spring to reduce the strength but i have never done it.

Online Abilene

• CAS-L Ghost Rider
  • Top Active Citizen
    • Abilene's CAS Pages
  • SASS #: 27489
  • NCOWS #: 3958
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1181
Re: Spiller & Burr Mainspring question
« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2020, 06:27:05 PM »
I wonder how the size of that spring compares with a common SAA-type spring?  If close enough, you could try wedging one of those in to see if it works.  Lots of aftermarket lighter ones available for that.

Offline Cliff Fendley

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 360
« Reply #2 on: September 28, 2020, 08:46:18 AM »
I've noticed my spiller and burr has what feels like a truck leaf spring for a main spring. I haven't taken it apart to check it out. I usually just carefully thin and polish them to lighten them up rather than buy aftermarket ones. A little at a time to you get it where you want it.
http://www.fendleyknives.com/

NCOWS 3345  RATS 576 NRA Life member

Johnson County Rangers

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 01:44:30 AM »

Offline treebeard

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 16
« Reply #3 on: September 28, 2020, 02:18:00 PM »
I've noticed my spiller and burr has what feels like a truck leaf spring for a main spring. I haven't taken it apart to check it out. I usually just carefully thin and polish them to lighten them up rather than buy aftermarket ones. A little at a time to you get it where you want it.

I am thinking of ordering a factory replacement spring and work it and not risk ruining the original spring and not have an operating revolver. Thinning a spring is going to be a learning experience for me and have seen several videos on it.

Offline 45 Dragoon

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 123
« Reply #4 on: September 28, 2020, 02:41:47 PM »
Be careful of which vids you take advice from. I'll go ahead and tell you, rolling the spring back and forth while taking material off the "back side" (dorsal) is NOT how you do it! (Don't pay attention to any of his others either!)  Stay only on the sides and quench with every pass.

Mike
www.goonsgunworks.com
Follow me on Instagram @goonsgunworks

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com