Author Topic: Uberti .45 Long Colt Schofield Loads  (Read 9621 times)

Offline 1961MJS

• Top Active Citizen
  • GAF #: 797
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 32
Re: Uberti .45 Long Colt Schofield Loads
« Reply #20 on: June 11, 2019, 06:56:05 PM »
Hi

Of Course I FIRST checked with Manuel, and I checked all of the loads in the list for Tite Group for both 230 and 250 grain Lead bullets.  Manuel is usually most hepful.  I ate too much lunch, which is bad cause now I want to go past the Taco Loco Truck down by the Atwoods. 

I may eventually try what Ira Scott says, but it won't be soon.  I got the Remington for my first Father's Day in 1987.  I should really load it up and left the "kid" shoot it a few times.

Later
Mike
BOSS #230

Brevet Lieutenant Colonel
Division of Oklahoma

Offline ira scott

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • AKA: Broken Nose Scotty
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 59
« Reply #21 on: June 11, 2019, 08:29:01 PM »
Yup, Remingtons suck!  No wedge/arbor fit issues, cylinder swap in seconds without disassembling the gun, and no caps falling down inside the hammer channel to jam the damn thing up!  Got to admit though,  not as shapely as an 1860 Colt.
It is far better to remain silent, and be thought a fool, than to speak and remove all doubt!

Offline Tascosa Joe

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • SASS #: 2770
  • NCOWS #: L-168
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 11
« Reply #22 on: June 11, 2019, 08:45:28 PM »
The Manuel I am familiar with sells tacos and burritos.  Good food, but I don't ask where the meat comes from, and I don't ask him for reloading data!
Cat and Raccoon make wonderful tamales.
NRA Life, TSRA Life, NCOWS  Life

Advertising

« Reply #23 on: Today at 07:28:48 AM »

Offline 1961MJS

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #23 on: June 12, 2019, 11:09:02 AM »
Cat and Raccoon make wonderful tamales.

Too bad the same can't be said for armadillos.  See fresh ones on the road most days.

Later
Mike
BOSS #230

Division of Oklahoma

Offline cpt dan blodgett

• Top Active Citizen
  • SASS Conv 2013
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 3
Re: Uberti .45 Long Colt Schofield Loads (A RESURECTON OF A DEAD TOPIC)
« Reply #24 on: October 02, 2020, 11:53:33 PM »
Today I acquired not 1 but 2 Uberti 45 Colt Schofields.  I am toying with the idea of shooting basically the 1909 load out of these.  I say basically because the 1909 load was a 250 grain bullet at 738 FPS from a 5 inch barrel, I plan on working up a load at 730 fps for the 255 grain bullets from the 7 inch barrel.  Is this going to be 2 hot for a break top? The last thing I want to do is break these guns.  High quality harassment not withstanding there are bunches of folks here that know a lot more about this stuff than I do.  I generally don't worry much about loading too hot because I stick to reasonable loads.  Until now the only break top I have is a Webley MkIV in 38S&W and standard factory S&W is mild compared to the 38/200 load which I will start loading once I have generated enough brass shooting the 145 grain 38S&W rounds.  After that aside will a 730 fps load with 255 grainers loaded in a 45 colt case be too hot for this gun or is it a "Safe" load?
Queen of Battle - "Follow Me"
NRA Life
DAV Life
ROI, ROII

Offline Baltimore Ed

• Top Active Citizen
  • SASS #: 11754
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 189
« Reply #25 on: October 03, 2020, 10:37:26 AM »
At the last match ECSASS had I shot Schofield loads in everything for the first time. All were loaded with 3.5 gr of old school Bullseye but I used a 160 gr swc bullet for my 1860 open top conversion and ASM Schofield revolvers and a 200 gr rnfp pc for my ‘73 carbine. I have to use Schofield brass in the carbine in order to get 10 in the mag. Looking at my vintage 1970 lyman ‘manuel’ which of course doesn’t list .45 Schofield loads, 3.5 gr [starting load] in a 45acp with either bullet are a bit over 700fps. I’m too lazy to set up my chrony. We only shot half a shoot due to getting rained out but I was clean for 3 stages. The top break was much more pleasant to shoot than the open top. Other than the no touchie trigger- no bangie silliness I really like the Schofield and might have to invest in a second. I did add a holly shim under each grip panel to make the grips a bit fuller. Need to trim them a little more too. I want to shoot this some more before I jump on another but the short bbl Schofields look awfully sharp to me. BTW I am a big Webley fan in case you haven’t noticed.
"Give'em hell, Pike"
 There is no horse so dead that you cannot continue to beat it.

Offline Coal Creek Griff

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 634
Re: Uberti .45 Long Colt Schofield Loads (A RESURECTON OF A DEAD TOPIC)
« Reply #26 on: October 03, 2020, 05:37:36 PM »
  After that aside will a 730 fps load with 255 grainers loaded in a 45 colt case be too hot for this gun or is it a "Safe" load?

This won't directly corelate, but I've used Unique in .45 S&W cases to push a 230 grain bullet to 720 fps from my 6" barrelled Uberti Schofield.
Manager, WT Ranch--Coal Creek Division

BOLD #921
BOSS #196
1860 Henry Rifle Shooter #173
SSS #573

Offline 1961MJS

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #27 on: October 05, 2020, 02:42:11 PM »
Hi
I shot the Expansion era match, 25 or more shots plus 10 shots at 25 yards with a 25 grain lead round nose over 4.5 grains of Titegroup in my Schofield and it's still in the same number of pieces I started with.  I've got about 400 rounds total through the gun, maybe more no issues.

Shots to point of aim well enough that I shot a 95 on a 25 yard bullseye target in a match.  Slow fire, big target, but it held a 5 inch group one handed.

Later
Mike
BOSS #230

Division of Oklahoma

Offline ira scott

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • AKA: Broken Nose Scotty
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 59
« Reply #28 on: October 05, 2020, 03:21:26 PM »
.45 Schofield Black Powder, (substitute APP) loads seem to work exceptionally well in my .45 Colt 7.5' Calvary SAA Model.(made by Pietta) At the recent Muster at the Searsboro Range in Iowa hosted by Whiskey Double and Sam Perfye, I cleaned the 5 plate rack at bout 21 yards with 5 shots.(windy, 2 handed) Later in Precision Pistol I scored 94, which I think is my personal best in a match. Also about 21 yards, 2 handed. I'm in the process of removing the smokeless lube from some 200 grain bullets to relube and try with Old Eynsford powder.

Major B.N. Scotty
It is far better to remain silent, and be thought a fool, than to speak and remove all doubt!

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com