Author Topic: New to me Spencer issues  (Read 1216 times)

Offline cockney rebel

• Citizen
  • SASS #: 110436
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
New to me Spencer issues
« on: December 27, 2022, 08:21:43 AM »
I stripped and started cleaning my new, to me, original Spencer yesterday.
I discovered a couple of issues I would like your comments on.
On the butstock, behind the saddle ring bar, there is a very thin section of wood which has lost a piece.  I am guessing this isnt too important given how thin it is?
Secondly, I have some plastic 56-50 reloadable blank cartridge cases but they wont chamber the last 1/4".  Any ideas why?
Thirdly, I knew it was missing the hammer, it looks like it snapped off the tumbler so I am looking for a replacement tumbler.
My pics are too large to attach here.

Offline kendudley

• Citizen
  • Liked:
Re: New to me Spencer issues
« Reply #1 on: December 27, 2022, 02:33:22 PM »
try S + S parts for the tumbler   I have seen them for sale.  Hammer should be able to get too.  replacement are cheaper, 
    the wood is old and Spencer wood can split.  I have a long line in my butt, but it was never separated, and I put epoxy in there a long time ago.
   I shoot BP of course with 39 2F and 350 bullet,  but I'm thinking of using a lighter charge, 34 or so and possibly 1 1/2 Swiss and using a 060 wad to fill the case and keep the bullet from pushing in the case.   
     That will be easier on the gun and wood I think.
   any other thoughts out there?
   Ken 

Offline Trailrider

• CAS-L Ghost Rider
  • Top Active Citizen
    • Gunfighter Zone
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: December 27, 2022, 02:56:57 PM »
What model is your Spencer? You should make a chamber casting using CerroSafe low melting point alloy, available from Dixie Gun Works or Brownell's. That may tell you why your blanks won't chamber. Blank cases too long? Or ???  For both the tumbler, hammer and hammer screw try S&S. They may have originals or repros that would work.
Happy, Healthy and Safe New Year!
Ride to the sound of the guns, but watch out for bushwhackers! Godspeed to all in harm's way in the defense of Freedom! God Bless America!

Your obedient servant,
Trailrider,
Bvt. Lt. Col. Commanding,
Southern District
Dept. of the Platte, GAF

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 10:43:29 AM »

Offline DJ

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 7
« Reply #3 on: December 27, 2022, 03:22:02 PM »
The thin wood over the magazine is just the way Spencers are made--I suspect that when they were designed and fabricated, nobody gave much thought to whether the wood might split after 150 years.

I've never played with any of the plastic blanks, but assuming they are shaped like cartridges, I can think of a couple potential issues.  One possibility is that a part of a case broke off and is stuck in the chamber.  A second possibility with Spencers that have been dry-fired a lot is an out-of-round chamber mouth.  It can be pretty subtle, but with a lot of dry firing, the rimfire firing pin peens a bump into the edge of the chamber.  If the blank is tapered, it might be sticking where the case gets fat enough to catch on the bump.  A little judicious filing with a very fine rounded Swiss file can usually fix that problem.

You should work on getting those photos resized--everybody likes to look at pictures.

--DJ

Offline cockney rebel

• Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: December 27, 2022, 06:18:22 PM »
PIcs attached

Offline DJ

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: December 27, 2022, 07:34:48 PM »
The wood thinning to nothing on the inside of the stock where the hole was drilled for the magazine tube is no big deal.

Regarding your chamber, it's tough to tell from your photo, but it looks like a little space left above the case.  I would take one of your blanks and "paint" it with a Sharpie.  Then slide it into the chamber until it sticks pretty tight.  After that, pull it out (or push it out with a rod) making sure not to twist it as you do so.  Look for scraping on the right side where the firing pin strikes.  Use a magnifying glass.  It's not an uncommon problem, but a challenge to diagnose if you don't know what to look for.

Offline kendudley

• Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: December 28, 2022, 08:14:14 AM »
bringing the old ones back is part of the fun   

Offline cockney rebel

• Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: December 29, 2022, 06:04:26 AM »
Everyone is out of original tumblers.  I'm tempted to try a Chiappa 56-50 part.  Anyone done this?

Offline El Supremo

• kevintinny@hotmail.com
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #8 on: December 29, 2022, 07:25:56 AM »
Hello, Cockney Rebel:

A possible source for an original Spencer tumbler and hammer is:
Ed Knisely at 717-741-2556, edknisely@aol.com.  Ed is an established antique gun parts dealer.

Adapting an Armisport tumbler might be a question for David Stavlo at Lodgewood Guns, Whitewater, WI, 262-473-5444.  David has worked on original and Armisport Spencers.  If he can help, it might be wise to let HIM fit parts, especially Armisport ones because of dimemsion variations over 20 years of production.

It is also possible that the Sharps lock parts from Shiloh Sharps in MT might fit.

Many Spencer shooters follow the N-SSA Forum.  It's Wanted/For Sale Section might be a place to inquire.
Smiles.
El Supremo/Kevin Tinny
Pay attention to that soft voice in your head.

Offline kendudley

• Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #9 on: December 29, 2022, 12:48:45 PM »
take your original to a gunsmith.  he can silver solder a replacement center and drill and tap for the hammer screw which is available.
   a silver solder is as strong as a weld and will hold.  good luck.
  keep looking, one may turn up.  Ken

Offline morerams

• Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
« Reply #10 on: December 30, 2022, 01:03:50 AM »
You could try The Regimental Quartermaster for parts.

Offline cockney rebel

• Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #11 on: December 30, 2022, 03:47:00 PM »
Ironically they have one with a broken boss too :-)

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com