Author Topic: What is up with SASS  (Read 27782 times)

Offline Matthew Duncan

• Cutter’s Raiders# 13
  • Top Active Citizen
  • SASS #: 23189
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 11
Re: What is up with SASS
« Reply #20 on: November 05, 2015, 06:03:37 PM »
...I will probably renew when the time comes, but it will be a decision when the time comes.  I have seen non-for-profit organizations that tried to do the same thing, and in the end it was badly counterproductive. But their situation was quite different. Hoping for the best...
I will probably not renew when the times comes, but like you it will be a decision when the time comes.

Law of supply and demand

When demand goes up, so can the price.

When demand goes Down, price goes down.

If demand goes down and the Seller raises the price, Seller will end up with a lot of unsold inventory and no business.
Major General J.E.B. Stuart's Division
Captain 1st Maryland Artillery, C.S.A.
SASS# 23189

Disclaimer:  I have not slept in any hotel recently, not a certified CAS rule web lawyer.  Have not attended any RO III or RO VI classes.  Opinions expressed are by a cowpoke who believes the year is 1868.

« Reply #21 on: September 25, 2016, 01:41:59 PM »
As has been said it’s all about your perspective.  I’m retired so don’t have a lot of money to toss around, but having said that firearms & shooting are my hobby and I enjoy them.  I especially enjoy CAS and what SASS adds to that.  So to me it’s well worth an extra $20 a year if that’s what it takes to keep it running.  The price of everything has gone up – and likely will continue to do so.

Just my two cents worth, and as usual that’s probably over valuing my opinion.  ;D

Offline Forty Rod

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #22 on: September 25, 2016, 04:25:00 PM »
It's worth $65.00 a year to me just for the companionship and access to the SASS Wire and Saloon.  

I haven't shot in several years and may never shoot again for physical reasons, but I'll keep my guns and gear and my membership for as long as I'm alive.
People like me are the reason people like you have the right to bitch about people like me.

Advertising

« Reply #23 on: Today at 03:52:34 AM »

Offline Buffalo Creek Law Dog

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 4
« Reply #23 on: September 25, 2016, 04:55:58 PM »
It's a little harder on us Canucks with the dollar the way it is now.  My $65 US ended up as $85. Cdn.  I can see where a few Canadians may drop out.  For my $85 Cdn, I get membership access to the SASS forum and a SASS decal.  I don't even get the e-edition of the Chronicle anymore.  This is the first year in my 12 year membership to SASS that I'm actually questioning the value.  A decision will be made in July 2017 when it is re-up time.
SASS 66621
BOLD 678
AFS 43
NFA
ABPA

Offline Sir Charles deMouton-Black

• THE ANCIENT SUBSTANCE ENDURES - ALL LESSER PROPELLANTS SHALL FIZZLE
  • NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 396
« Reply #24 on: September 26, 2016, 06:49:54 PM »
It's worth $65.00 a year to me just for the companionship and access to the SASS Wire and Saloon. 

I haven't shot in several years and may never shoot again for physical reasons, but I'll keep my gins and gear and my membership for as long as I'm alive.

Furlong; Did you say "Gins & Beer"?
NCOWS #1154, SCORRS, STORM, BROW, 1860 Henry, Dirty Rat 502, CHINOOK COUNTRY
THE SUBLYME & HOLY ORDER OF THE SOOT (SHOTS)
Those who are no longer ignorant of History may relive it,
without the Blood, Sweat, and Tears.
With apologies to George Santayana & W. S. Churchill

"As Mark Twain once put it, “History doesn’t repeat itself, but it does rhyme.”

Offline Forty Rod

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #25 on: October 01, 2016, 12:16:07 AM »
Damn drunken dyslexic keyboard!   ;D
People like me are the reason people like you have the right to bitch about people like me.

Offline Rye Miles

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 91
« Reply #26 on: October 26, 2016, 02:56:26 PM »

I haven't shot in several years and may never shoot again for physical reasons, but I'll keep my guns and gear and my membership for as long as I'm alive.

Now that we can't get on the SASS wire, is it still worth it? I stay on because I go to state and regional matches otherwise I think I'd dump it! 8)
Northeast Ohio

God created man, Sam Colt made them equal

Offline Shawnee McGrutt

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 12
« Reply #27 on: October 26, 2016, 03:33:18 PM »
You would miss all the happy faces, Rye. :-*
National Congress of Old West Shootists 3633
Single Action Shooting Society 88462
Society of Remington Revolver Shooters
The Sublyme and Holy Order of the Soot
"I wish I had an answer to that because I'm tired of answering that question." - Yogi Berra

Offline Griff

• Top Active Citizen
  • Speed Junky
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
« Reply #28 on: October 26, 2016, 03:39:07 PM »
What benefit do I personally get from my membership?
You'll find out the first time you attend a match at the State, Regional, Divisional, National or World levels and "Mossy Pop" has already signed up with a different SASS #.  You are no longer you.  Could also happen at your home club monthly match... If they're affiliated, they must honor SASS aliases.  

Since no one else mentioned this benefit.
Griff
SASS/CMSA #93 Endowment
LSFSC Life
NRA Life

Offline Rooster Ron Wayne

• Rooster
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Lube your Balls & Cap your Nipples ~ Just Sayin !
  • SASS #: 86029
  • Liked:
« Reply #29 on: January 10, 2017, 08:50:30 AM »
I have only been a SASS member for 9 years.
I that small time frame I have seen a lot of things change .
Some good .
Some bad IMHO.
I only shoot local weekend club shoots .
I dont go to any state or SASS sanctioned shoots.
So I ask my self every year .
Is it worth being a membernof SASS ?
But so far I have continued to renew :-)
 ::)
Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you:
1. Jesus Christ
2. The American G. I.
One died for your soul, the other for your freedom."

Offline Lord Eoin MacKenzie

• American Plainsmen Society
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #30 on: June 09, 2017, 07:18:00 PM »
Once it went digital, I did not renew.   Once I retire to Iowa, then I'll be in NCOWS country.  Very few SASS clubs in a 2 hour driving range.

Offline Buffalo Creek Law Dog

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 4
« Reply #31 on: August 17, 2017, 09:41:57 AM »
Alberta Frontier Shootist Society is no longer a SASS Affiliated Club.  Many members, including my self are dropping our SASS memberships as a result.  There is only one SASS sanctioned shoot a year within a 4 hr drive (Saskatchewan).  None of the other CAS clubs in Alberta require a SASS membership to participate.  I put my $80. Cdn that would normally go to renew my SASS membership (that's what it cost to renew due to the current exchange rate) towards a Springfield Carbine in 45-70.

I put a similar post on the SASS Saloon and it was pulled immediately.
SASS 66621
BOLD 678
AFS 43
NFA
ABPA

Offline Table Rock Rascal

• Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #32 on: February 16, 2020, 05:54:45 AM »
People running a few thousand $$$ worth of guns, leather, and sundry dry goods are wallerin' around because of a double eagle bump in dues?

That comes out less than a couple of bucks a month.

Now as far as what the money goes for, if SASS wants to do right by its members it oughta let them know what the money goes for, if they ask.

But someone's gotta keep the lights on, and it's good to be able to go from one club to another and know they're playing with the same rule book.

Offline Coffinmaker

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 125
« Reply #33 on: February 16, 2020, 09:43:29 AM »

Attention!!  Pay Attention!!  Necromancer at work.  This thread was DEAD.  Buried and forgotten.  Then was resurrected.  WHY?? 

Anybody understand the cost of re-interning this poor dead thing???  Getting it back in the hole, cover it, get the grounds keeper to match the sod.  We could be talking real money here.  Let the DEAD lie says I.

Offline River City John

• NCOWS Senator
  • NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Mr. & Mrs. John Covert
  • NCOWS #: L-146
  • GAF #: 275
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 463
« Reply #34 on: February 16, 2020, 09:53:15 AM »
Coffinmaker, I'm hearing you complaining about some ol' sod . . .

just consider this thread an Iowa Caucus. They keep resurrecting it but aren't really sure why it exists, nor what it accomplishes.

RCJ
"I was born by the river in a little tent, and just like the river I've been running ever since." - Sam Cooke
"He who will not look backward with reverence, will not look forward with hope." - Edmund Burke
". . .freedom is not everything or the only thing, perhaps we will put that discovery behind us and comprehend, before it's too late, that without freedom all else is nothing."- G. Warren Nutter
NCOWS #L146
GAF #275

Offline Table Rock Rascal

• Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #35 on: February 16, 2020, 01:49:19 PM »
Oh fer gosh and fer golly -- did all that squawkin' help with yer digestion?

Offline Coffinmaker

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #36 on: February 16, 2020, 03:19:24 PM »

;D  River City John   ;D 

Now that was absolutely HILARIOUS  ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

TRR   Sure Did (Burp) I feel much more betterer you betcha  ::)

Offline Oregon Bill

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 153
« Reply #37 on: October 14, 2020, 07:42:27 AM »
I quit SASS years ago, but keep hearing rumors of big cutbacks in a struggling outfit. Hoped this thread might enlighten. Guess not.

Offline Coffinmaker

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #38 on: October 14, 2020, 03:58:34 PM »

:)  Hi Bill   ;)

Well, if you're aware of the latest news from SASS .. Founders Ranch is going the way of the Dodo Bird.  Winter Range is going DoDo.  End of Trail is to move again, this time to Arizona.  Consolidating the really BIG matches.

I've said in the past, regardless of what we would like to be, SASS is slowly imploding.  The great masses that grew up on B Westerns, Saturday Matinees, Prime Time TV Westerns et ALL are getting old.  Dropping out.  There is no real infusion of youth to fill behind.  The only result is a slow decline.  That decline also means SASS is going Broke.  Slowly, but broke none the less.  It won't be long, the prime real estate in New Mexico will go on the block.  Cowboy Town and All.  Insufficient income to support it.  Just a matter of time.  The current state of affairs (Covid) didn't do us any favors either. 

Offline wildman1

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 169
« Reply #39 on: October 14, 2020, 04:38:31 PM »
I shoot almost every weekend and I see new shooters (young and old) at almost every shoot. I see families that have children just starting to shoot.
wM1
WARTHOG, Dirty Rat #600, BOLD #1056, CGCS,GCSAA, NMLRA, NRA, AF&AM, CBBRC.  If all that cowboy has ever seen is a stockdam, he ain't gonna believe ya when ya tell him about whales.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com