Author Topic: Hope Everbody is Safe over there  (Read 35058 times)

Offline Tensleep

• Damned Ol' Ranger
  • CAS-L Ghost Rider
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Dealer in Bullets and Gun Butter
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: Hope Everbody is Safe over there
« Reply #60 on: September 12, 2008, 06:34:13 PM »
Reckon he will have 'lectricity?  ::)
Masonic Cowboy Shootist
America's 1st Grey Sash Cowboy, GSC 006
SASS 5756 Life, Regulator
Dooley Gang, Virginia Chapter
Just a poor dumb cowboy, tryin' to do my best.
"If I could roll back tha years, back when I was young and limber..."

Offline Delmonico

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
« Reply #61 on: September 12, 2008, 06:38:21 PM »
If the laptop don't work he has call numbers for folks who won't mind what time it is. :)
Mongrel Historian

Always get the water for the coffee upstream from the herd.

Ab Ovo Usque ad Mala

The time has passed so quick, the years all run together now.

Offline Ozark Tracker

• Top Active Citizen
  • my granddad on his mule around 1907
  • Liked:
« Reply #62 on: September 12, 2008, 06:57:54 PM »
Had an almost new PU towed inta the shop in 83, LPG burner, worst burt up one I ever seen that was just a fire.  Hose leaked and it caught fire, was a ways from a VFD, course no cell phone, he ran down the road till someone came along.  Boss had to use the dollies, rear tires popped, insurance totaled it and took it.  Twas a good tailegate, taillite lenses and a rear bumper, but didn't bring much at the salvage pool. 

The fact the paint was burned a bit on the tank in the back was the scary part.  Guy got singed a little bit, not bad, but when he bailed it was already to hot to try to shut off the tank and the durn thing was full, melted the hood and all the freeze plugs in the block.

when I was on the Wagoner, County sheriff's Office, we had a call of a fire one night bout 1 in the morning, ran out there met another Deputy,  it was a little country store. it was fully engulfed when we got there,  was a 500 gallon propane tank setting right up against the building,  we called the county fire dept, took them about 20 or 30 minutes to get there, but as it burned, when the tank would get hot enough, the pop-off valve would go off and a shot of gas would burn up into the air 50 or 60 feet, it did it about 20 or 30 times while the building burned,  everything worked just like it was supposed to I guess,  when the sun came up that morning we were still there, just at daylight one of the firemen called us over, was one body in the store,  wasn't supposed to be anybody there,  turned out to be one of two petty theifs who had broken in and got to fighting over who got what, one knocked the other in the head with a can of food and set the place on fire.
 he was bragging about it a few months later is the way he was caught.
We done it for Dixie,  nothing else

"I've traveled a long way and some of the roads weren't paved."

Advertising

« Reply #63 on: Today at 04:46:38 PM »

Offline Tensleep

• Damned Ol' Ranger
  • CAS-L Ghost Rider
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Dealer in Bullets and Gun Butter
  • Liked:
« Reply #63 on: September 12, 2008, 07:22:48 PM »
In Virginia here lots of tobacco (flue cured) was cured (dried) using LPG or fuel oil...

Most of the tobacco barns were log and chink construction. It was easy for a barn to catch fire and many did.

First thing the VFD would do was to drag the LPG tank or fuel tank away from the barn. Saves lots of damage.
Masonic Cowboy Shootist
America's 1st Grey Sash Cowboy, GSC 006
SASS 5756 Life, Regulator
Dooley Gang, Virginia Chapter
Just a poor dumb cowboy, tryin' to do my best.
"If I could roll back tha years, back when I was young and limber..."

Offline Delmonico

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #64 on: September 12, 2008, 07:29:47 PM »
Friend of mine who used to be on a VFD up about 100 miles north of me came to town one weekend, we went out to grab pie and coffee, was a fire hat sittin' on the passengers side, slightly melted.  Asked him what happened, t'was a house fire and the flames were real close to the LPG tank and it scared them, he had to squeeze in close and ran a hose on it while the rest put down the fire, the radient heat was a little bad.  Still don't know if Jeff was brave or dumb or a little of both. 

Tell you what, afore he got crippled up I would have put him on the list of someone I'd want to try and rescue me.
Mongrel Historian

Ab Ovo Usque ad Mala

Offline litl rooster

• Retired Cowboy... with saddle a 94 and the good book
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 310
« Reply #65 on: September 13, 2008, 07:25:03 AM »
My Dad worked for one of the smaller companies Amerigas bought out, this was back in the 60's and 70's. He converted trucks of all sizes, cars and even riding mowers and farm tractors to burn LP.  It was hard starting in cold weather and they used a duel fuel system, so you could start on gas or diesel and then switch to LP. He adventually began building the big propane power plants used by big factories.  I bougt a 20lb tank last week it was $16. I figure it must be comparison to gas in price.   Did Willy give the price on the refinery start up and conversion cost to the Tour bus?
Mathew 5.9

Offline Texas Lawdog

• NCOWS Senator "Old School" Cop
  • Top Active Citizen
  • " We're all Here because We're not all There".
  • Liked:
« Reply #66 on: September 13, 2008, 07:44:52 AM »
LR, I haven't seen or heard anything on the cost. Back in 74 Arlington, Tx PD  converted some Furys to LPG.  One of the patromen was fillin' a car at the service center and it exploded. They did away with them shortly there after. As far as IKE goes up here, nuthin' yet. It hit Galveston about 0300, which is about 350 miles south of here.
SASS#47185  RO I   ROII       NCOWS#2244  NCOWS Life #186  BOLD#393 GAF#318 SCORRS#1 SBSS#1485  WASA#666  RATS#111  BOSS#155  Storm#241 Henry 1860#92 W3G#1000  Warthog AZSA #28  American Plainsmen Society #69  Masonic Cowboy Shootist  Hiram's Rangers#18  FOP  Lt. Col  Grand Army of The Frontier, Life Member CAF
   Col.  CAF  NRA  TSRA   BOA  Dooley Gang  BOPP  ROWSS  Scarlet Mask Vigilance Society Great Lakes Freight and Mining Company  Cow Cracker Cavalry   Berger Sharpshooters "I had no Irons in the Fire". "Are you gonna pull those pistols or whistle Dixie"?

Offline Arcey

• Underlord of Soot
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #67 on: September 13, 2008, 08:28:37 AM »
News we’re gettin’ over this way sez it hit Galveston ‘n Houston pretty hard. Prayers still goin’ up for y’all.
Honorary Life Member of the Pungo Posse. Badge #1. An honor bestowed by the posse. Couldn’t be more proud or humbled.

All I did was name it ‘n get it started. The posse made it great. A debt I can never repay. Thank you, mi amigos.

Offline Delmonico

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #68 on: September 13, 2008, 08:58:46 AM »
Sounds like it, ain't had any check in's on the folks down there from the Lab forum, guessin' even the land and cell phones are down.
Mongrel Historian

Ab Ovo Usque ad Mala

Offline Texas Lawdog

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #69 on: September 13, 2008, 09:51:37 AM »
I took Miss T to the park for her weekend run and the rain started. I got a little wet but she really loved it. Years ago, when I first moved to D/FW I was a firefighter in addition to being a police officer.  We had a training exercise where we arrived on the scene of a burning propane tank.  The tank was burning and we were to advance on it to shut off the valve.  We had the hose on full fog and walking upt to it. The pop off valve went off and the tank starting screaming. I felt the hose get heavy and looked over my shoulder. There was one guy behind on the hose. We walked the hose to the valve and shut it off. I don't know if I was stupid or crazy. I decided that I did not want to mess with a burning propane tank.
SASS#47185  RO I   ROII       NCOWS#2244  NCOWS Life #186  BOLD#393 GAF#318 SCORRS#1 SBSS#1485  WASA#666  RATS#111  BOSS#155  Storm#241 Henry 1860#92 W3G#1000  Warthog AZSA #28  American Plainsmen Society #69  Masonic Cowboy Shootist  Hiram's Rangers#18  FOP  Lt. Col  Grand Army of The Frontier, Life Member CAF
   Col.  CAF  NRA  TSRA   BOA  Dooley Gang  BOPP  ROWSS  Scarlet Mask Vigilance Society Great Lakes Freight and Mining Company  Cow Cracker Cavalry   Berger Sharpshooters "I had no Irons in the Fire". "Are you gonna pull those pistols or whistle Dixie"?

Offline Leo Tanner

• RATS #401 STORM 330
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Life is Good
  • Liked:
« Reply #70 on: September 13, 2008, 01:51:11 PM »
When I first shacked up with Lil she had a gas grill.  I had not yet taught her the ways of the Holy Charcoal.
So we go out one evening and while we're gone the kids decide ta grill burgers out back.  I get home and go out fer a smoke and notice flames coming out from under the dang thing.  Squated down and saw that the hose between the LPG tank and the burner was shootin fire.  I gotta admit I paused a moment before runnin over and closin the valve.  Thing could a blown in my face.

Leo
"When you have to shoot, shoot.  Don't talk."
     Tuco--The Good the Bad and the Ugly

"First comes smiles, then lies.  Last is gunfire."
     Roland Deschain

"Every man steps in the manure now an again, trick is not ta stick yer foot in yer mouth afterward"

religio SENIOR est exordium of scientia : tamen fossor contemno sapientia quod instruction.

Offline Delmonico

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #71 on: September 13, 2008, 02:08:13 PM »
When I first shacked up with Lil she had a gas grill.  I had not yet taught her the ways of the Holy Charcoal.
So we go out one evening and while we're gone the kids decide ta grill burgers out back.  I get home and go out fer a smoke and notice flames coming out from under the dang thing.  Squated down and saw that the hose between the LPG tank and the burner was shootin fire.  I gotta admit I paused a moment before runnin over and closin the valve.  Thing could a blown in my face.

Leo

I've done it also, scary, but scarier to think of what else could happen.  After Rita's did that, it went on the next garage sale.  We grill on the cast iron grill in the house now.
Mongrel Historian

Ab Ovo Usque ad Mala

Offline Arcey

• Underlord of Soot
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #72 on: September 13, 2008, 02:20:07 PM »
Uhhhhhh….. ‘Skooze me…..

Prolly way outtah line here with a whacked out idea. Ya kindah gottah inspect that stuff e’er now ‘n again. If a hunk is questionable, ya replace it.

Bad idea, I know. Folks get too busy with more important things. Sorry.
Honorary Life Member of the Pungo Posse. Badge #1. An honor bestowed by the posse. Couldn’t be more proud or humbled.

All I did was name it ‘n get it started. The posse made it great. A debt I can never repay. Thank you, mi amigos.

Offline Leo Tanner

• RATS #401 STORM 330
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Life is Good
  • Liked:
« Reply #73 on: September 13, 2008, 02:49:25 PM »
Yeah, I guess yer right.  I shoulda done a complete inspection of her home and surrounding areas on our first date afore gettin ta the kissin an huggin an such.  Bad on me.
     I brought ma Webber when I moved in.

Leo
"When you have to shoot, shoot.  Don't talk."
     Tuco--The Good the Bad and the Ugly

"First comes smiles, then lies.  Last is gunfire."
     Roland Deschain

"Every man steps in the manure now an again, trick is not ta stick yer foot in yer mouth afterward"

religio SENIOR est exordium of scientia : tamen fossor contemno sapientia quod instruction.

Offline Texas Lawdog

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #74 on: September 13, 2008, 02:55:58 PM »
Kinda like Paladin, Have Grill     Will Travel

Offline Delmonico

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #75 on: September 13, 2008, 02:57:51 PM »
Yeah, I guess yer right.  I shoulda done a complete inspection of her home and surrounding areas on our first date afore gettin ta the kissin an huggin an such.  Bad on me.

Leo

Did you at least check for cooties? ;D

OK, I'm bad. :)
Mongrel Historian

Ab Ovo Usque ad Mala

Offline Arcey

• Underlord of Soot
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #76 on: September 13, 2008, 02:58:49 PM »
What I meant by ‘outtah line’…..

No sense in it.

Offline Texas Lawdog

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #77 on: September 13, 2008, 03:02:43 PM »
Them gas grills is dangerous.  I go through one of those tanks in nuthin' flat as much as we cook outside.

Offline Arcey

• Underlord of Soot
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #78 on: September 13, 2008, 03:30:39 PM »
Mine was years old when I gave it to the kids. Kept it out of the weather. It was always in decent shape. SiL put a new burner in it. No idea how old it was when they tossed it ‘n that was cuz when they finished the deck he bought that Super Belch Fire Nine propane thingy. Asked me if I wanted it back. I don’t care for grillin’ out in the heat. It went to the dump.

Have the Webber now cuz they wanna grill out here a couple times a year ‘n I can leave it where I want.

Turkey fryer. Propane. Brought that home in the F-150. Been shed of that since January ’99.  Been kept out the weather too. Doin’ the swap out deal with the tanks when I need gas. It’s ready ta go now.

Every Thanksgivin’, ya get one or two news items of someone burnin’ a house down with a turkey fryer. Because they were stupid enough to use the things in a garage or onna porch. Always is.

Offline litl rooster

• Retired Cowboy... with saddle a 94 and the good book
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 310
« Reply #79 on: September 13, 2008, 05:01:42 PM »
Kinda like Paladin, Have Grill     Will Travel

Man after my own Heart
Mathew 5.9

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com