Author Topic: Borders? Lets build a library!!  (Read 47795 times)

Offline Drayton Calhoun

• American Plainsmen Society
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: Borders? Lets build a library!!
« Reply #80 on: October 09, 2010, 10:56:05 PM »
Check out mill bits and the like. A little grind here a cut there... I had a mill bit for years that worked great for a bizarre Celtic weave pattern. There are also a lot of Dremel metal bits that work well to for small corner fill.
The first step of becoming a good shooter is knowing which end the bullet comes out of and being on the other end.

sfc rick

« Reply #81 on: May 19, 2017, 07:57:37 AM »
I just thought I would add another border idea I completed on my new gun belt. It's still a work in progress but the border stamping is done.

Offline Marshal Will Wingam

• Garden Variety
  • Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Smile. It makes people wonder what you're up to.
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 307
« Reply #82 on: May 19, 2017, 12:36:10 PM »
Looks good. I wouldn't have thought of using the star stamp like that but it works nicely. Thanks for the pic.

SCORRS     SASS     BHR     STORM #446

Advertising

« Reply #83 on: Today at 04:45:53 PM »

Offline CurlyDrew42

• Liberal Gunslinger
  • Active citizen
    • Entropy Fable
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #83 on: October 31, 2017, 11:52:26 AM »
This has got to be one of the best threads.  Don't get me wrong, I always get fresh ideas when I thumb through my Al Stholman books but I love to see what other people think up and there are some killer combinations here.  Great work!
Never smile too big, the gods may mistake it for hubris.

• Garden Variety
  • Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #84 on: June 12, 2021, 10:57:15 AM »
It's been quite a while for this thread. I'm resurrecting it with a photo of one of my recent holsters with a very simple and effective border on it.

That was done with a tool I made years ago.

The photo makes it look like I drag the tool but it actually is used by pushing it.

Let's see some more borders, pards.

Offline Rube Burrows

• Top Active Citizen
  • SASS #: 84934
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 691
« Reply #85 on: June 12, 2021, 04:19:47 PM »
Love it Marshal. I recently tried to use a similar tool and can't seem to get it lined up enough to really do what I want to do. It's the craftool pro adjustable creaser thought and while I can get it to do good for making a single line with one part off the leather I cannot get it to work right to do two lines both on leather........if that makes sense.
"If legal action will not work use lever action and administer the law with Winchesters" ~ Louis L'Amour

SASS# 84934
RATS#288

• Garden Variety
  • Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #86 on: June 12, 2021, 06:05:48 PM »
Thanks, Rube. You need to put your finger on top to push down on the tool as you push forward. Then rock it ever so slightly so it walks forward slowly. Unlike the adjustable creasers I've seen, mine has sharp edges that crease the leather almost like a knife.

Offline Holsterguy

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 26
« Reply #87 on: June 12, 2021, 07:02:28 PM »
Pretty neet tool, marshal. Thanks for sharing!

• Garden Variety
  • Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #88 on: June 12, 2021, 07:41:56 PM »
Pretty neet tool, marshal. Thanks for sharing!
Thanks. It's crude looking but it works.

Offline 1961MJS

• Top Active Citizen
  • GAF #: 797
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 32
« Reply #89 on: January 18, 2023, 11:00:07 AM »
Hi
I took several pictures of belt borders for a thread on Skidmore's leather cream and thought that the pictures could be helpful here.  I have several hourglass or double serpentine stamps from both Barry King and Tandy.  As a hint, when you pick the sizes you like, buy one from Barry King, they last a LOT longer.  Anyway, I've used both the Hourglass picture in the first attachment.  It looks good, but it is necessary (in my opinion) to draw lines on the leather as a stamp guide.  I'm an engineer, I measure things (except booze...).  I use soft lead pencils, drawing with the side so as not to leave a divot. 

On the Hourglass in the second attachment, I obviously used red markers which I read ARE SUPPOSED TO BE INVISIBLE, but they're not, so back to the soft lead pencil.

The hourglass is more interesting, but more of a pain to stamp.  with the single serpentine stamps, I just draw the outer guidelines and stamp with just a hair between the stamps.  Literally, just enough to see a separation.  I do 12 on the inside (both sides of the belt, and then the outside) so I don't have the whole belt wet at the same time.

Mike
BOSS #230

Brevet Lieutenant Colonel
Division of Oklahoma

• Garden Variety
  • Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #90 on: January 18, 2023, 11:10:32 AM »
Beautiful work, 1961MJS. Thanks for showing how you lay out the stamps, too.

Offline 1961MJS

• Top Active Citizen
  • GAF #: 797
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 32
« Reply #91 on: December 22, 2023, 07:34:00 PM »
Hi

This is a picture of the 4 new Barry King stamps I just purchased.  All four of the tools are very well made.  They are a Camouflage, Starburst #1,  Crown Serpentine #5, a Double Row Border #3, and a Lined Veiner #1 to match Rube's. 

The Crown Serpentine #5 is HUGE.  It is made so that you could (I think) easily just draw a line to guide it's stamping.  Due to the double line through out that tool, it's not really possible to leave space between the stamps and use a molding tool or some other tool to connect the stamps.  I believe that I have one of each size of serpentine border tools (Barry King and Tandy). 

The Camouflage Starburst border is an odd looking thing.  I will probably use it between to border lines about a half inch apart.  It might also be used for a weird Psychedelic era plant connected by vines. 

The Double Row Border #3 is more precisely detailed that Tandy's, but looks very similar.  I expect to use it quite a bit.

The Lined Veiner #1 will get a lot of use as another way to build a 3:10 to Yuma border.  I'll also try what Rube did and that is also in Packing Iron.

If there's a better place for this than the border library, feel free to move this.

Merry Xmas Y'all.

Mike
BOSS #230

Brevet Lieutenant Colonel
Division of Oklahoma

• Garden Variety
  • Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #92 on: December 22, 2023, 08:02:05 PM »
You're in the right place. Thanks for posting the stamp impressions. It helps others to see what they look like. It looks like you'll be having some top notch fun, now.

Offline Rube Burrows

• Top Active Citizen
  • SASS #: 84934
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 691
« Reply #93 on: December 26, 2023, 12:26:53 PM »
Great looking BK stamps.
"If legal action will not work use lever action and administer the law with Winchesters" ~ Louis L'Amour

SASS# 84934
RATS#288

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com