Author Topic: 40-60 neck size die?  (Read 1113 times)

Offline Slamfire

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 61
40-60 neck size die?
« on: May 19, 2021, 09:45:16 PM »
 Have a Lee FL. die , been ground down some ( don't know how much ) , would like to make a neck size'n die out of it , any one " been there , done that ", if so could I get the OAL of the die , after it was ( is ) ground down. Thanks.

coffee's ready ,, Hootmix.

Offline ndnchf

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
Re: 40-60 neck size die?
« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2021, 07:40:21 AM »
Just throwing this out there.

An alternative is to make a neck size bushing for a Lee Universal Expander die. The Lee universal expander dies are versatile,  very affordable and can be adapted to many uses.  I needed a neck sizer for my .44-77. So I made a sizer bushing for the Lee die. It works perfectly. Its easy to make if you have a lathe. It could even be done with just a drill press. Or any machinist can easily make one for you.  I can provide the length and OD of the bushing if you'd like.

"We're all travelers in this world.  From the sweet grass to the packing house, birth till death, we travel between the eternities"  Prentiss Ritter, Broken Trail

Offline Slamfire

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2021, 01:17:42 PM »
ndnchf ,, that sir is a very nice ideal , are we talking about our standard expander die or a separate type die ? I do have a lathe ,, and  I believe I can make a sizer bushing ,, Thank you . ;)

coffee's ready

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 03:11:25 AM »

Offline ndnchf

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: May 20, 2021, 01:29:08 PM »
The Lee Universal expander die that comes with the pointy inserts.

https://www.amazon.com/LEE-PRECISION-90798-Universal-Expanding/dp/B000N8N538

I make my own stepped expander plugs for them too. The way they come, they really are flaring dies with those pointy plugs. But the bodies can be used for many things. I have at least a dozen of them I set up for specific purposes.

Here is a little drawing of the bushing I made. The length and OD are what you need. Make this inside to suit your needs. Also a couple pics I took while making it.

"We're all travelers in this world.  From the sweet grass to the packing house, birth till death, we travel between the eternities"  Prentiss Ritter, Broken Trail

Offline ndnchf

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: May 20, 2021, 01:42:09 PM »
Just FYI, here is a 2-step expander plug I made for a .44 S&W American cartridge.  The 1st step expands to .002" under bullet size. The 2nd step to .003" over bullet size. The 2nd step only goes about .050" into the case. The lets the bullet start easily into the case without over-flaring it.

Offline Slamfire

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: May 20, 2021, 02:19:11 PM »
 Thank You ,, a picture is worth a 1000 words ,, very nicely done. ( can I do 10 LIKES ? )

coffee's ready ,, Hootmix.

Offline ndnchf

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: May 20, 2021, 02:27:29 PM »
Post photos of yours when you make it :-)  Consider case spring back when you decide on final size.

BTW, after the above photo of the bushing was taken, I polished it a little more, then hardened it with Kasenite. It may not be necessary, but it didn't hurt.

Offline Slamfire

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: May 20, 2021, 05:13:26 PM »
 ndnchf ,, ck . your PM's.

Hootmix.

Offline Slamfire

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #8 on: May 20, 2021, 09:57:27 PM »
 Trying to send pics ??? I think this will work .

Offline AntiqueSledMan

• Very Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 40
« Reply #9 on: May 21, 2021, 04:10:12 AM »
Definitely more than one way to skin a cat.

AntiqueSledMan.

Offline ndnchf

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #10 on: May 21, 2021, 04:14:00 AM »
Looks like that will do the job!

Offline Slamfire

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #11 on: May 21, 2021, 10:12:40 AM »
 Thank you for the Ideal , " I love this place ". can use same die with different size sleeves.

coffee up to ya'.

Hootmix.

Offline Cap'n Redneck

• Commd'g Co. D, Frontier Batt'n, Texas Rangers.
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Cap'n Redneck SWS #163.
  • GAF #: 273
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #12 on: May 21, 2021, 11:53:57 AM »
For those of us with limited machinist skills:
I've neck-sized .45-70 brass and .45-60 brass by running the caseneck up into the carbide sizer ring of the .45 Colt LEE Factory Crimp Die.  Depending on the amount of brass spring-back I've then sometimes run them up into the .45 Colt LEE carbide sizing die, which is a tad tighter than the Factory Crimp Die.
I would assume that a similar effect could be achieved by running the .40-60 up into the .40 S&W LEE Factory Crimp Die & then maybe the .40 S&W carbide sizing die...?
In order to limit the amount of necksizing I insert a wagonbolt with a nut for adjustment into the hole for the "Auto Index"-rod on my LEE 3-hole Turret press.  The head of the wagonbolt will hit the center of the underside of the 3-hole turret plate and stop me from fully sizing the cases.
"As long as there's lead in the air, there's still hope..."
Frontiersman & Frontiersman Gunfighter: The only two categories where you can play with your balls and shoot your wad while tweaking the nipples on a pair of 44s.

Offline King Medallion

• Top Active Citizen
  • SASS #: 14753
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 164
« Reply #13 on: May 22, 2021, 08:08:08 AM »
You should probably copy this thread over to the 76 forum. You guys with talent make me sick sometimes!
King Medallion

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com