Author Topic: Anybody make reloadable .46 rimfire cases? EDIT .44 rimfire  (Read 5634 times)

Offline ndnchf

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
Anybody make reloadable .46 rimfire cases? EDIT .44 rimfire
« on: April 09, 2021, 01:58:54 PM »

I'm a glutton for punishment.  I enjoy the challenge of getting long obsolete guns shooting again.  I just found a nice Ball & Williams Ballard sporting rifle in .46 long rimfire.  After a lot of internet searching, it seems .44-40 brass is a good parent case.  I saw one post on the N-SSA site where are guy mentioned making his .46 rimfire cases by plugging the centerfire primer hole of a .44-40 and drilling an offset hole for a .22 blank.  I've made something like this for 32 rimfire, but nothing this big.

BTW, I did check with RMC, they don't make them. I have an email to Roberson too, but no reply yet. 

Of course dropping in a centerfire breech block would be the simple way to go, but they don't grow on trees.

So has anyone done it?  I won't be surprised to hear cricket on this one, but I figured it was worth a try  ;D

Steve

"We're all travelers in this world.  From the sweet grass to the packing house, birth till death, we travel between the eternities"  Prentiss Ritter, Broken Trail

Offline Dave T

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 901
Re: Anybody make reloadable .46 rimfire cases?
« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2021, 04:47:30 PM »
ndnchf,

I admire you for your willingness to take on these out of print cartridges, and the guns that shoot them. Following your postings and threads is always educational. Thanks again and good luck on this particular one.

Dave

Offline ndnchf

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2021, 07:31:20 PM »
Thanks Dave. I'm not sure where this path will lead, but the journey is half the fun. I cut and sectioned a .44-40 case to see how and where it would need to be drilled for the acorn blank after the CF hole is plugged. Soldering a brass plug into the hole will be the first step.
"We're all travelers in this world.  From the sweet grass to the packing house, birth till death, we travel between the eternities"  Prentiss Ritter, Broken Trail

Advertising

Re: Anybody make reloadable .46 rimfire cases? EDIT .44 rimfire
« Reply #3 on: Today at 03:08:04 AM »

Offline DJ

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 7
« Reply #3 on: April 09, 2021, 08:31:24 PM »
Haven't done a .46 rimfire, but played with the commercial Spencer rimfire cases a little.  I could never get them to go off, because the firing pin hits so close to the edge of the rim that it missed the rim of the .22 blank, but it sure beat the heck out of the edge of the rim of the case.  Some rimfire firing pins (No 4 Rolling Block, for instance) have a larger footprint.  I'm not familiar with the details of the Ballard, so it might not be an issue.

If I were working this project up I would make up a dummy case and see where the firing pin hits so I could plan on how to make up the cases.

Offline ndnchf

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: April 10, 2021, 05:36:07 AM »
DJ - good idea on the dummy round. I'm new to Ballards, so not sure how much contact the firing pin has. I have several rimfire rolling blocks, they seem to hit the rim with no problem.

Offline Sir Charles deMouton-Black

• THE ANCIENT SUBSTANCE ENDURES - ALL LESSER PROPELLANTS SHALL FIZZLE
  • NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 396
« Reply #5 on: April 10, 2021, 12:40:37 PM »
Has anyone explored making new rimfire ammunition? I am not an engineer, or manufacturing guy, but small capacity projects might be feasible with recent developments. Drawing copper or brass alloys does not seem impossible to reproduce? Making it economically is obviously the trick.
NCOWS #1154, SCORRS, STORM, BROW, 1860 Henry, Dirty Rat 502, CHINOOK COUNTRY
THE SUBLYME & HOLY ORDER OF THE SOOT (SHOTS)
Those who are no longer ignorant of History may relive it,
without the Blood, Sweat, and Tears.
With apologies to George Santayana & W. S. Churchill

"As Mark Twain once put it, “History doesn’t repeat itself, but it does rhyme.”

Offline ndnchf

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: April 10, 2021, 01:56:14 PM »
Today I made one 46 rimfire long from a 44 magnum case. This was just to see if I could do it and prove out the concept.

The CF primer pocket was filled with a brass plug, soldered in place. Then the offset .22 blank hole was drilled, reamed, then counter sunk for the rim. Then the out edge relieved to allow room for the firing pin to crush the blank.

It's not pretty, but I think it will work.

Offline ndnchf

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: April 10, 2021, 02:54:29 PM »
I needed a bullet to complete a dummy round. All I have on hand of the correct diameter are Lee 459-405HB bullets. So I shortened one, then cut a heel on it. The original bullets were 300-310gr. This one comes in at 315gr, a tad heavy. But it will do as a start.

Offline Galloway

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #8 on: April 10, 2021, 03:56:28 PM »
I'd love to see a pic of the rifle.

Offline ndnchf

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #9 on: April 10, 2021, 05:15:21 PM »
I'd love to see a pic of the rifle.

I only have photos from the seller. Here are a few.

Offline ndnchf

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #10 on: April 10, 2021, 05:17:52 PM »
Full view.

Offline ndnchf

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #11 on: April 11, 2021, 01:08:55 PM »
I made 4 more cases today. That gives me 5 to get started with  ;D

Offline Professor Marvel

• purveyor of useless items to the gentry
  • American Plainsmen Society
  • Top Active Citizen
  • learn from the past, or be doomed to repeat it
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1118
« Reply #12 on: April 11, 2021, 06:39:45 PM »
My Good NDNCHF

I love the project.
This could bring remington derringers back to life.

just out of couriousity, lcuriousty wondering,
is there a particular reason to go through the effort of making rimfires
as opposed to making a centerfire conversion or extra centerfire block ?

yhs
prof marvel
Your Humble Servant
~~~~~Professor Algernon Horatio Ubiquitous Marvel The First~~~~~~
President, CEO, Chairman,  and Chief Bottle Washer of

Professor Marvel's
Traveling Apothecary
and
Fortune Telling Emporium

Acclaimed By The Crowned Heads of Europe
Purveyor of Patent Remedies, Snake Oil, Powder, Percussion Caps, Cleaning Supplies, Dry Goods,
and
Picture Postcards

Offering Unwanted Advice for All Occasions
and
Providing Useless Items to the Gentry
Since 1822
[
Available by Appointment for Lectures on Any Topic

Offline ndnchf

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #13 on: April 11, 2021, 06:53:47 PM »
Professor - The technique could certainly be applied to .44, .41, .38 and other rimfires. I made similar 32 rimfire cases a number of years ago and they worked well.

Why? Well, like I said, I enjoy the challenge of bringing them back to life. I have changed several rolling blocks from RF to CF. But those are pretty straight forward. This rifle is not so easy. But if someone manufactured CF conversion kit, I'd be very interested. But for now, I'm happy to make these. 

Offline AntiqueSledMan

• Very Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 40
« Reply #14 on: April 12, 2021, 05:36:03 AM »
Hello ndnchf,

I remember reading somewhere a guy drilled & tapped the original primer pocket,
then ran in a threaded brass plug before soldering.
Might be a little stronger than just a plug soldered in.
Again a very interesting project.

AntiqueSledMan.

Offline ndnchf

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #15 on: April 12, 2021, 05:53:44 AM »
I've read that somewhere too. The plugs are made from a 1/4" brass screw, turned down to about .203". The root of the threads still remain. This provides additional "grab" for the solder. But since the plug will be flush up against the breech block and i'll be using lght loads, I think it will be ok.

Offline ndnchf

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #16 on: April 13, 2021, 04:56:40 AM »
I purchased three of these original Winchester .46 long rimfire cartridges online yesterday. I am tempted to pull one apart. I'd like to weigh the powder charge and see how fine the powder is. I'm also thinking it would be neat to have Accurate make a mold to duplicate the bullet.

Offline ndnchf

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #17 on: April 13, 2021, 08:35:27 AM »
I looked at Roberson Cartridge Company's web site last week for .46 long rimfire, but didn't see it listed.  So I sent them a message asking about it, but got no reply. I was looking there again this morning and now it do see it! 

https://www.rccbrass.com/product/46-long-rimfire/

Either I missed it last week, or they just added it to their listing.   With my new Ball & Williams Ballard arriving soon, I'm interested :-)

I'm wondering if anyone has first hand experience with Roberson's reloadable rimfire cases?  How do they hold up?  Do the .22 blanks fit snugly?

Offline ndnchf

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #18 on: April 14, 2021, 06:32:22 PM »
I decided to go a different route on the bullets. I really don't want to stress this old boy and prefer a lighter bullet than the 295gr bullets above. Looking through my bullet stash I found some 255gr, .453" diameter. 45 Colt bullets. Since they were a little undersized, I swaged them to .457". Then cut a heel on them in the lathe. I think these will be better for the first test firing.

Offline ndnchf

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #19 on: April 16, 2021, 06:27:24 PM »
I acquired three original .46 long rimfire cartridges to go along with my Ballard sporting rifle. Of course I wanted to compare them to the reloadable .46 long rimfire I'm making. The cases are an excellent match, not so much the bullets. But these bullets I just made up to test fire it. I'm working on something better.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com