Author Topic: Who founded Thanksgiving?  (Read 3863 times)

Offline Sir Charles deMouton-Black

• THE ANCIENT SUBSTANCE ENDURES - ALL LESSER PROPELLANTS SHALL FIZZLE
  • Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 396
Who founded Thanksgiving?
« on: November 24, 2017, 03:40:23 PM »
It wasn't the Pilgrims necessarily, and yes, the modern rendition and purpose of Thanksgiving was borrowed from the US.

http://www.macleans.ca/opinion/the-odd-complicated-history-of-canadian-thanksgiving/

NCOWS #1154, SCORRS, STORM, BROW, 1860 Henry, Dirty Rat 502, CHINOOK COUNTRY
THE SUBLYME & HOLY ORDER OF THE SOOT (SHOTS)
Those who are no longer ignorant of History may relive it,
without the Blood, Sweat, and Tears.
With apologies to George Santayana & W. S. Churchill

"As Mark Twain once put it, “History doesn’t repeat itself, but it does rhyme.”

Offline Gabriel Law

• American Plainsmen Society
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 4
Re: Who founded Thanksgiving?
« Reply #1 on: November 27, 2017, 11:34:11 AM »
Quite an article!

Offline Johnson Barr

• Berger Sharpshooters, KVC, Blue River Regulators #129, Johnson County Rangers, GAF
  • NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • NRA Life, TSRA Life, NCOWS Life, NCOWS Merchant
    • J Barr Texas
  • NCOWS #: L-173
  • GAF #: 830
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 2
« Reply #2 on: November 27, 2017, 12:36:08 PM »
Thanksgiving as currently celebrated on the last Thursday in November as a National U.S. Holiday was the work of Abraham Lincoln.
"Peace is that glorious moment in history when everybody stands around reloading"  -Thomas Jefferson

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 07:44:50 PM »

Offline Sir Charles deMouton-Black

• THE ANCIENT SUBSTANCE ENDURES - ALL LESSER PROPELLANTS SHALL FIZZLE
  • Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 396
« Reply #3 on: November 28, 2017, 11:31:18 AM »
Thanksgiving as currently celebrated on the last Thursday in November as a National U.S. Holiday was the work of Abraham Lincoln.

Lobbied by Sarah Hale as early as 1827;

"Sarah Josepha Hale, editor of Godey’s Lady’s Book, a women’s magazine that promoted abolition, white wedding dresses, Christmas trees, a focus on the family, domestic science and the elevation of Thanksgiving to a national holiday with a set, universal date, so that the entire nation could pray and celebrate together."
NCOWS #1154, SCORRS, STORM, BROW, 1860 Henry, Dirty Rat 502, CHINOOK COUNTRY
THE SUBLYME & HOLY ORDER OF THE SOOT (SHOTS)
Those who are no longer ignorant of History may relive it,
without the Blood, Sweat, and Tears.
With apologies to George Santayana & W. S. Churchill

"As Mark Twain once put it, “History doesn’t repeat itself, but it does rhyme.”

Offline PJ Hardtack

• American Plainsmen Society
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #4 on: November 28, 2017, 12:42:17 PM »
Some interesting historical information here, some of which I recall from school days. I appreciated the comment: ".... the nation that prays together .... stays together ....".

However, like the US, we have strayed from the Judaic/Christian moral code our nation was founded upon, to the point of banning prayers in public schools, unless you are Muslim.

I was getting comfortable with Christine Sismomdo's account until she started to cross over into the politically correct towards the end of her narrative:

- " .... consider how to repurpose the holiday to redress historic wrongs and imagine a new Canadian identity."

We are well underway to "repurpose the holiday" by referring to it as "Turkey Day", an occasion to overeat for the sake of overeating with no thought to anything regarding gratitude for plenty.

I am sick to death of the "repurposing" and rewriting of history to suit the current narrative of atonement, 'truth and reconciliation' for actions taken by government generations and even centuries ago.

Our current Prime Minister falls over himself in apologies to First Nations, gays, trans-gender types and extends the hand of friendship to returning ISIS fighters who engaged in combat against Canadian soldiers and our allies in the Middle East.

According to him, we live in a secular, multi-cultural, pluralistic, gender-non-specific country with no history worth preserving and no core values. His words, not mine.

I will truly be grateful and appreciative when this politically correct narrative is put to rest once and for all. A return to what is good, fair and equitable without racial and religious overtones and incriminations.

You cannot say that we have diversity and equality at the same time. That is saying that we should have difference and equality at the same time. Two things cannot be different and the same at the same time in the same way. That's critical thinking 101.

Political Correctness in all things has become our state religion, "Diversity" our strength. The Roman Empire and the British Empire practiced "diversity" and it led to the downfall of both as they got away from their historic roots and core identities.

Rant mode off ..... and I wish all a Happy Thanksgiving, regardless of who originated the holiday.
"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, I won't be laid a hand on.
I don't do these things to others and I require the same from them."  John Wayne

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com