CAS TOPICS > The Powder Room - CAS reloading

Regarding the Cleaning of Guns After the Use of Pyrodex and 777

<< < (2/2)

DTS:
Guess I will flush the T-7 - The man is now retried from "the industry" - appears he was also wrong about the content of perchlorate as the list shows 30% perchlorate, not 17% as reported.

Professor Marvel:
Well sir, I would not be overly concerned over a misunderstanding, I myself have been wrong more times than I have been right :-)
Also, Lots of warm water never seems to hurt :-)

yhs
prof marvel

DTS:
I personally use water from the cold tap for cleaning black powder fouling from my barrels, ml and ctg.  I've used cold water ever since Holland and Holland told "us" to, in 1978.  My friend, a double rifle and shotgun collector asked them about hot water with an order for his SxS 6 bore ball and shot gun refurbish and a fitted leather bound case for it - they said "do not use other than water from the cold tap".  They said cold water will dissolve the fouling. Hot water can have a glazing effect on hard breech plug fouling buildup, whereas the cold water has no such effect. I've done this since 1978 and have never pitted nor rusted a barrel - since.

Advertising:

Professor Marvel:
As I have been perusing recent information regarding "water on Mars" I found interesting info about the possibility  of  water on Mars and how the perchlorates detected there play a role.

http://redplanet.asu.edu/?p=13081

This tells us that perchlorates are particularly corrosive under , shall we say, "different" atmospheric conditions, which can substantiate why different folks have experienced either the "pervasive brown bloom"
Or "no problems here" ...

And as a result I went down the chemistry rabitt hole to discover a few things that are more recent, to wit:

From here
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Perchlorate

We see
"These data show that the perchlorate and chlorate are stronger oxidizers in acidic conditions than in basic conditions."

Which is what happens when it is burned in a firelock....

And
" Potassium perchlorate has the lowest solubility of any alkali metal perchlorate (1.5 g in 100 ml of water at 25 °C). "

Note that 25 deg C is 77 deg F

Which means IT IS HARDER TO DISSOLVE"

Thus we can see that , whilst real BP residue may be readily cleaned by "cold water" ,  the perchlorates salts from Pyro or  Triple 7 will actually require "at least" warm water. Preferably "hot from the tap" .
Boiling is probably so hot as to produce the "glaze" that DT had mentioned.

Since Holland and Holland is an old ( even ancient) British company I daresay they have been advising people based on the cleaning of true BP as opposed to Pyro and 777.

Plus these guys have a tendency to follow the old " great grandpa did it this way, so there."   ;D ;D ;D

So.
With the current demise of GOEX, this becomes more important.

The advice of cleaning Pyro and 777 residue with warm to hot (not boiling) and plain soap still stands

No fancy bizarre mixes.
Do not bother with vinegar, peroxide, Ed red, moose milk, lemon juice, white wine, etc.

Barrel or bore solvents will not do it.

Soap and Hot water.
Be thorough.
Scrub a lot.
Bore brushes are good, as are tight cleaning patches.
Do not oil until after cleaning as salts "may" be trapped.
YMMV
Just offering free advice
Nobody is responsible for anything you do or do not do.
Don't blame the author
Do not shoot the piano player
More lawyer speak blah blah blah

Hope this helps
Or at least makes you laugh
Prof Marvel

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version