Author Topic: SPENCER RULES! 1st PLACe IN LONG RANGE LEVER RIFLE AT RR FLAT!  (Read 3858 times)

Offline Tuolumne Lawman

• CAS-L Ghost Rider
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Grass Valley, CA in the Sierra Nevada Mountains
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 46
 ;D ;D  HOWDY TO THE CAMP,

Well Tuolumne Lawman is grinning like a Chessire Cat!  AT this last week end's High Sierra Shoot Out annual match at Railroad Flat California, I took first place in the long range match for lever action rifle. in rifle caliber!  My sweet Taylors 56-60, even with its 9 or 10 pound trigger. kicked butt.  It was eight shots timed at a 6" disk at 50 yards.  Using a 6 o'clock hold. I nailed 7 of 8 dead center on the plate in something like 35 seconds, including a single load for the last round from a Civil War cavavlry carbine ammo pouch!  I was shooting my loads (38 grains Triple 7 FFG, 350 Kens Ten-X bullet, and CCI magnum rifle primer).  I also took third in BP single shot with my 50-70 Sharps.

I used the Spencer in sigle shot mode fo the Plainsmen event, shooting clean. I single loading each shot from the top, al-la 1870's cavalry style.  There I used Ken's Ten-X BP loads.

I also used the 56-50 Taylors as a main match rifle (with the posse leader's blessing) on several stages, also shooting clean.  It was a great day for Spencers!

Being as how I shoot odd guns, antiquesss, SPencer's BP, etc., I never place above the bottom of the pack.  I was packing up camp as the awards ceremony started.  Suddenly Bad Lands Bud (EOT world champion junior?) came runing up to me shouting "Tuolumne, Tuolumne, they need you in the tent.  You got an award!"

I came up to the front and asked if I got the last place award, since I was shooting with a broken middle finger on my strong hand (courtesy of the 50-70 Sharps on the long range on the first day).  Everyone laughed, an Black Jack Traven said "No, you won 1st place in long range lever rifle in rifle caliber"  My mouth hung open like a carp, and I asked if I got 1st because no one else shot in that category.  Surprisingly the answer was no, there were actually others and I beat them.  I was momentarily speachless (a condition rare with me).  I finally said "Well heck, I couldn't be more surprised if I woke up with my face stapled to the floor!"  SHortly after that, I got my award for third in BP single shot.  In 11 years of CAS shooting, I have only gotten an award once before, about 5 years ago.  I think it was third in BP cartridge at Fort Miller.

I do love my Spencer.

It functioned smoothly and flawlessly.  I had over 150 rounds of BP and BP substitute through it before I cleaned it.  It never failed me.  My Henry is only good for 5 or 6 stages before BP starts to foul it and make the action stick.

I think I will get a stabler cut off to make the single loads easier on Plainsmen.
TUOLUMNE LAWMAN
CO. F, 12th Illinois Cavalry  SASS # 6127 Life * Spencer Shooting Society #43 * Motherlode Shootist Society #1 * River City Regulators

Online Two Flints

• Spencer Shooting Society Founder & Moderator
  • Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Moderating SSS IS a "Labor of Love"!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 2
Re: SPENCER RULES! 1st PLACe IN LONG RANGE LEVER RIFLE AT RR FLAT!
« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2005, 05:46:53 AM »
T.L.

:o :o :o :o  Some great shooting there!!!!!   Congratulations on your awards.    Got a feeling that their is going to be a rebirth in the shooting of Spencers as news of their reliability and accuracy spreads to members of CAS and beyond.  I'm so thankful that so many have joined SSS and are sharing their knowledge of Spencers with the rest of us.   ;D ;D ;D

You mentioned that you "will be adding a stabler."  Please explain in more detail if you have a chance!

Two Flints

Una mano lava l'altra
Moderating SSS is a "labor of love"
Viet Vet  '68-69
3/12 - 4th Inf Div
Spencer Shooting Society Moderator
Spencer Shooting Society (SSS) #4;
BOSS #62
NRA; GOAL; SAM; NMLRA
Fur Trade Era - Mountain Man
Traditional Archery

Offline Tuolumne Lawman

• CAS-L Ghost Rider
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Grass Valley, CA in the Sierra Nevada Mountains
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 46
« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2005, 09:49:28 AM »
Howdy Two Flints,

The Stabler cut off was added in the trigger guard to Spencers after the Civil War.  It prevents the block from droping far enough to allow a round to exit the magazine onto the cartridge carrier.  This also allows for easier single loading of the Spencer.  The whole idea (which was still used with the magazine cut-off in the 30 Army Krag Jorgenson) was to use the weapon as a single shot to save ammo, then use the magazine full of ammo in emergencies.
TUOLUMNE LAWMAN
CO. F, 12th Illinois Cavalry  SASS # 6127 Life * Spencer Shooting Society #43 * Motherlode Shootist Society #1 * River City Regulators

Advertising

Online Two Flints

• Spencer Shooting Society Founder & Moderator
  • Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Moderating SSS IS a "Labor of Love"!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 2
« Reply #3 on: May 31, 2005, 12:19:10 PM »
T.L.,

Should have worded my Stabler question better!   Where are you getting the stabler part?  What's involved in adding it to your Spencer?  Are you adding it to your Taylor Spencer? or another original Spencer?  If it can be added to a Taylor Spencer, would it only be for the 56-50 shooter?

Two Flints

Una mano lava l'altra
Moderating SSS is a "labor of love"
Viet Vet  '68-69
3/12 - 4th Inf Div
Spencer Shooting Society Moderator
Spencer Shooting Society (SSS) #4;
BOSS #62
NRA; GOAL; SAM; NMLRA
Fur Trade Era - Mountain Man
Traditional Archery

Offline Gunner

• Very Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #4 on: June 02, 2005, 04:33:46 PM »
Yabba-dabba doo!! ;D
Gunner SASS #1940L
Spencer Shooting Society #1/Founder, LASSOOS #1s/Founder, SBSS, SCORRS, BOSS, STORM, PoR
"..I wanna be a cowboy when I grow up.."

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com