Author Topic: Military History Fest  (Read 3021 times)

Offline S. Quentin Quale, Esq.

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 6
Military History Fest
« on: November 02, 2014, 08:40:52 AM »
Anybody ever attend this?  If so, thoughts?

http://www.militaryhistoryfest.com/

G.

Offline pony express

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: Military History Fest
« Reply #1 on: November 02, 2014, 08:48:54 AM »
Never been to anything like that, but it is right in Doug Strong's neighborhood.

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: November 02, 2014, 09:01:02 AM »
My sister lives nearby and if the event were worth the time and gasoline I'd brave No. IL in the winter and visit.

The few "militaria" shows I've gone to have been disappointing.  There is lots of Nazi and WWII items but not much else.  Maybe there might be more WWI stuff now given the centennial but seldom, if ever, do you see pre-WWI stuff.  I'm not a serious collector and just do a couple of impressions but I'd still like to be as fair to the portrayal as possible.

Any info would be appreciated.

G.

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 11:16:54 AM »

Offline Drydock

• MA1 USN ret. GAF #19, Colonel, Chief of Staff. BC, CC, SoM. SASS 1248 Life
  • American Plainsmen Society
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 18
« Reply #3 on: November 02, 2014, 09:44:15 AM »
We have something like that here in Missouri:  http://www.audrain.org/wbit.aspx

I've been the sole representative from the Spanish American War for the last few years!  But great fun, with good representation of several eras.
Civilize them with a Krag . . .

Offline pony express

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #4 on: November 02, 2014, 02:40:12 PM »
Just from looking at the photo gallery, looks like eras other than WW2 are well represented, although they could just be showing every single non WW2 exhibit, giving the impression that it covers more.

Drydock, someday I'm going to have to make it up there. Seems like every weekend in September is full of events, though.

Offline G.W. Strong

• Grand Army of the Frontier, (Bvt.) Colonel, Commander of the Department of the Missouri
  • NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • GAF, Department of the Missouri
    • Talbot's Fine Accessories
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
« Reply #5 on: November 05, 2014, 12:43:23 PM »
I go every year. There is a wide variety of different periods represented. There was even a Span Am group with an awesome artillery piece. It is not a militaria show in the normal sense. The purpose is not to buy and sell stuff (though there is plenty of that!) The purpose is for reenactors of various periods to get together and cross pollinate.

I found my WWI and WWII reenactment groups through this event. My WWI group built a full trench there last year that people could walk through. The Roman group has a Taverna you can visit and the Vikings have an encampment. There are Rev war and Civil war folks as well as modern US marine reenactors. There are groups for the middle ages, Elizabethan England, the Golden Age of Piracy and the crusades. I have seen British 24th foot (Zulu war) reenactors talking with Romans and US GIs all in one big group.

There is lots of cool stuff going on including classes, displays, demonstrations, a fashion show and a costumed ball. It used to be on my way home from work but it has moved a little further south to a much bigger venue that is conducive to setting up encampments and it is particularly inviting to military vehicles.
George Washington "Hopalong" Strong
Grand Army of the Frontier #774, (Bvt.) Colonel commanding the Department of the Missouri.
SASS #91251
Good Guy's Posse & Bristol Plains Pistoleros
NCOWS #3477
Sweetwater Regulators

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: November 07, 2014, 07:44:35 PM »
Thank you, Col. Strong, for you excellent report!!!   :)

We'll see if I can work up the courage to face No. IL in the winter!!!

SQQ

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com