51 (17.6%)
1894 Winchester
11 (3.8%)
1894 Marlin
41 (14.1%)
Other
9 (3.1%)

Total Members Voted: 272

Author Topic: Main Match rifles and why...  (Read 121990 times)

Offline Marshal Halloway

• Editor & Webmaster of Cas City.
  • City Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Don't squat with your spurs on. Have fun shootin'.
    • Cas City
  • SASS #: R3411
  • NCOWS #: HL-179
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 69
Main Match rifles and why...
« on: September 28, 2005, 10:15:41 PM »
Let us help the newcomers with answers to a few of the questions they ask us who have been in this sport for some time.

What is your rifle of choice? Why did you pick the model you are using?

Was it price, looks, authenticity or other specific reasons?

Editor & Webmaster of CAScity.com
Director - Digital Video Division - Outdoor Sportsman Group (OSG).
Digital Video Production & Post Production OSG
Owner of Down Range Media GP

Offline Gus Hall

• Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: Main Match rifles and why...
« Reply #1 on: September 28, 2005, 10:37:34 PM »
I use a Cimarron '66 "yellow boy" with a 24" barrel chambered for .44 Special. Use it 'cause I can shoot .44 Colts through it. (Same as my pair of Richard's conversions) Would kinda prefer a 20" barrel for easier handling around barricades and windows during a match, but this was the only one my dealer had. This loooong rifle looks realy cool though. ;D

Offline Jax Orebetter

• CAS-L Ghost Rider
  • Top Active Citizen
    • Jax's Poker Table
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: September 28, 2005, 10:54:11 PM »
Well, the first 5 years I shot a Winchester '94 in 45Colt. Now some folks will tell you that this rifle isn't a good choice for CAS. I have over 10,000 rounds through it without any problems. Is it the fastest? Nope. Is it the most stylish? Nope. But the price was right when I was getting into this, and I didn't know any better. If I had know then (how many times have we said that in our lives?  ;) ) For about the same money you can get a model '92 and is better suited for CAS use.

THat being said, I now shoot a Uberti Winchester '73 45 Colt with a 24" bbl. How many other guns have a movie named after them?  ;D
Time to fold,
Jax Orebetter
~WARTHOG~

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 06:03:02 AM »

Offline Marshal Halloway

• Editor & Webmaster of Cas City.
  • City Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Don't squat with your spurs on. Have fun shootin'.
    • Cas City
  • SASS #: R3411
  • NCOWS #: HL-179
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 69
« Reply #3 on: September 28, 2005, 11:13:24 PM »
Now some folks will tell you that this rifle isn't a good choice for CAS. I have over 10,000 rounds through it without any problems. Is it the fastest? Nope. Is it the most stylish? Nope.

I bought a Winchester 94 Trails End from Har Trigger back in 1998 and I have no idea how many rounds I put through that rifle before I sold it to a police officer in Norway earlier this year. It never failed me the 6-7 years I used it. Solid and reliable.

What is my choice now? A Winchester 94, believe it or not.

As Jax said, it is not the fastest, but it is a solid rifle for a good price and I just like it. Yes, it needs some firm treatment when you cycle the action and I have to say that it is probably not the very best choice for a newcomer who wants to be fast shooter in a short time. But if money is one of the arguments to get started or not, this 500 dollar rifle is an option for CAS.

And since I am kind of stuck in the 1890's, I don't complain over authenticity either, even though the rifle is in .45 Colt.

Editor & Webmaster of CAScity.com
Director - Digital Video Division - Outdoor Sportsman Group (OSG).
Digital Video Production & Post Production OSG
Owner of Down Range Media GP

Offline Doc Shapiro

• Top Active Citizen
    • Custom Handmade Pistol Grips
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: September 28, 2005, 11:15:56 PM »
Navy Arms '73.  20 inch barrel, straight stock.  It just fits.  That's all.

Doc

Offline Old Top

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: September 29, 2005, 02:55:33 AM »
Evening All,

I sort of went about this exactly backwards, I bought a 73 winchester back in 62 for 25 dollars, problem was that no one had ammo for it so I put it in the gun rack and did not use it untill last year when Curly Cole drug me screeming and kicking into this sport (or madness) so I had the rifle and got the pistols to match the caliber 44-40, the rifle shoots better then I do and is all orignal except for the rear sight but I am working on that.

Old Top
I only shoot to support my reloading habit.

Offline Russ T Chambers

• Littlest ol' fart Cowboy in Nevada Territory
  • CAS-L Ghost Rider
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Well preserved for my age!
  • SASS #: 262
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 20
« Reply #6 on: September 29, 2005, 11:07:56 AM »
Used to have a Rossi ’92 that I wasn’t the best shot with, and when it started having feeding problems, I acquired my Cimarron Arms ’73. 
I don’t know what it was, but my misses with the ‘73 dropped by about 30-40% (needless to say I usually miss a lot, but at least my rifle misses went to almost nil).
I doubt I'd ever get rid of this little puppy, (may even think about given it a name)!
Russ T. Chambers
Roop County Cowboy Shooters Association
SASS Lifer/Regulator #262
WartHog
SBSS #1441
IPSAC
CRPA Lifer 
NSRPA Lifer
NRA Benefactor Member
Brother of the Arrow

Offline tarheel mac

• Top Active Citizen
  • SASS Number 69437 WARTHOG!
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: September 29, 2005, 05:12:02 PM »
I use a Model 92, made by Rossi...strictly a price deal...I like it fine, but it only holds 9 cartridges, and most match stages are 10, so it always costs me some time there...Wouldn't mind having one of the new Taurus pumps, or a Win 66 replica...

Offline Four-Eyed Buck

• Top Active Citizen
  • Tusco LongRiders,
  • Liked:
« Reply #8 on: September 29, 2005, 06:33:32 PM »
I use the Marlin because of the ease of maintenence. One screw and it's apart for cleaning. There's not a lot of parts to deal with. My Marlins are accurate and reliable.
 Between the wife and I, we have 4 1894's, an 1889, and an 1893....Buck 8) ::) ;)
I might be slow, but I'm mostly accurate.....

Offline Arcey

• Underlord of Soot
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #9 on: September 30, 2005, 08:21:20 AM »
When we were kids plinkin' with .22s we had Marlins.

When I got back into shooting, I bought a camp carbine.  Good plinker and it used the same mags as my Smiths.

Started this game with a '92 Rossi.  Soon found a deal on a '94 CS.  Bought a Cowboy a couple years ago.  No complaints.  No desire to shoot anything else.
Honorary Life Member of the Pungo Posse. Badge #1. An honor bestowed by the posse. Couldn’t be more proud or humbled.

All I did was name it ‘n get it started. The posse made it great. A debt I can never repay. Thank you, mi amigos.

Offline Qball

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #10 on: September 30, 2005, 08:58:04 AM »
Got a Rossi 92 in .45Lc and it was the cheapest .45 levergun i could find here in Sweden.
24" and octagon barrel works just fine so far.
And it looks so slender compares to my original Winchester 1886 .45-90 wcf
WartHog
SCORRS
SootLord
STORM

Offline Camille Eonich

• Top Active Citizen
    • Stump Water and Camille Eonich's Website
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 2
« Reply #11 on: October 04, 2005, 11:09:16 AM »
I started out sharing a Marlin with Stump while I was deciding what I wanted.  The '92 was cheap, looked good was light and hey China Camp uses one.  I bought one with a full action job and it felt pretty good just working the action even so the action is sooooo long that I really had to work at to shoot it.  Then there was the stove piping thing.  Then we changed ammo and it started throwing them out of the top.  I sent it back to the smith and he worked on it some more.  It came back feeling even slicker and working a bit better.  Then one day I loaded ten in it and started in on a team shoot.  It wouldn't feed a single round.  I haven't shot it since that day.  BTW the calber is .45

Next I got a 20" '73, straight stock.  Cody did the action job and short stroked it for me.  Great gun and it never let me down.

Now I have a '73 deluxe in .38 put together for me Harland Wolfe.  I LOVE THIS GUN.  I don't see any other cowboy rifles in my future because this one is just too sweet.
“Extremism is so easy. You've got your position, and that's it. It doesn't take much thought. And when you go far enough to the right you meet the same idiots coming around from the left.”
― Clint Eastwood

Offline Scattered Thumbs

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 61
« Reply #12 on: October 06, 2005, 10:39:44 AM »
My rifle is...a carbine. ;D

An 1873 made by Uberti in 44-40

Why? you ask. Well, because I like it, and they made a Western called Winchester 73, and it's the most period correct covering a large span of the Old West years. there's the 66 of course, but it can't be had in the original caliber. And I just plain like the 73. ;D Also, the 73 action is quite fast to operate and is not prone to jamming.

On the other hand, I recently aquired (it's not in my hands yet, darn beurocratic Country) a Rossi 92 rifle with 24 inch octagon barrel in .44 Mag. It's a John Genius Browning design afterall.  ::)   Also, the action is really strong, much stronger than the 73 and dare I say it, stronger than the 94. That's why I chose it in the non period correct .44Mag, to use the action true potencial, since it's also intended as a hunting rifle.

Offline Missouri Marshal

• Top Active Citizen
    • Missouri Marshal's Cowboy Action Shooting Homestead
  • Liked:
« Reply #13 on: October 06, 2005, 11:10:49 AM »
I have 2 Marlin 94's and a Uberti 73.  Shoot the Marlins mostly cause they are slick, fast, reliable, easy to load one on the clock, easy to clean and it's a side eject.  For the money you can't beat a American Made Marlin!  You can git the 1894C starting at about $350 or so through Wal-mart.  Mostly I like it when I can beat my pard Tensleep with my "Fish" gun and I do that every now and then.(he don't like Marlins). :)
NRA Life, SASS Regulator, TG Pungo Posse, TG Mattaponi Sundowners, DTP, RATS #132
CLICK HERE FOR MY CAS CITY PROFILE
AND CHECK OUT THE LOADING BLOCKS IN THE CLASSIFIEDS

Offline Ozarks Ranger

• Very Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #14 on: October 18, 2005, 06:36:41 AM »
I'm like Jax, I started with a Winchester  Legacy Never had a problem with it and it is still a good gun ( fire away)I an now shooting a 73 carbine 19 in. barrel, Do not have a short stroke kit in it nor have my Rugers been tricked out.
Snake Eyes
Stand up for whats right , even if your standing alone
Intro To CAS instructor
RO11,
WARTHOG
BOLD 291
SBSS,   RATS #250

Offline Terry Lane

• CAS-L Ghost Rider
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #15 on: October 18, 2005, 04:08:22 PM »
Howdy all,
Started out 12 years with a Navy Arms '60 Henry 1 of 1000 steel frame .44 WCF. Still my favorite. Backup is a Uberti '73 Deluxe Sporting rifle .44 WCF. All I've ever needed. Take care. 
Terry Lane, Nebraska Territory,
Nebraska's Official Hon. Col. Wm. F. "Buffalo Bill" Cody
Grand Army of the Frontier Department of the Missouri Chief of Scouts

Offline Marshal Will Wingam

• Garden Variety
  • Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Smile. It makes people wonder what you're up to.
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 307
« Reply #16 on: October 18, 2005, 08:21:21 PM »
I started with a Rossi Model 92 carbine in 38/357. It took a while to figure out how deep to set the bullets so it would feed smoothly. That worked fine until I got fast enough to cause it to hiccup when I racked it. I went to a '73 carbine in the same caliber and was able to go waaaaay faster with that. Not only can it take any speed I put it to, but I can feed .38 spl or .357 rounds with equal smoothness. Darn good design. Both guns had action jobs done to them and they were slick. My wife stayed with that '92 for a couple years until one time she borrowed my '73. LOL, I had to buy her one to get mine back. We sold the Rossi. Although the '66 looks great, I prefer the '73 because of the lever safety.

SCORRS     SASS     BHR     STORM #446

Offline Wymore Wrangler

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #17 on: October 19, 2005, 02:39:04 PM »
I tried the Rossi 92, then went to a 66, love that gun, have a 73 for a backup gun... ;D
Fast horses for sale, Discount for newly minted gold coins, no questions asked....

Offline Hell-Er High Water

• Top Active Citizen
    • Hell-Er High Water
  • Liked:
« Reply #18 on: October 19, 2005, 02:49:37 PM »
I shoot an original '73 octogon barreled rifle that has had the barrel shortened to 17" (No, I didn't shorten it, it was that way when I bought it years and years ago, long before CAS).  I had it re-rifled to 45 Colt as the collector value was gone anyway and the original 44-40 barrel was shot out.  It has held up fine for an 1885 production gun and I will probably use it as a back up gun when I get around to getting a new main match rifle.  It just has a classic look to it with a short, heavy octogon barrel and wood that has obviously been around a while.

Hell-Er High Water

Offline dangerranger

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #19 on: October 22, 2005, 03:58:55 PM »
I started with a 94 marlin for two reasons, spare parts[I have one in 44mag] and price [I found one new on a clearence sale for $250 ]. My next will be a 73 win cause I just like the look.
Life is a rush into the unknown, You can duck down real low and hope nothing hits you, Or stand up tall, show it your teeth,and say "Dish it up Baby and dont get stingy with the Peppers!!!"

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com