Author Topic: Scoring  (Read 4420 times)

Offline Doc Shapiro

• Top Active Citizen
    • Custom Handmade Pistol Grips
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Scoring
« on: April 14, 2004, 11:07:03 PM »
I sat down and wrote an article on the various scoring methods.  I think this will be a good starting point for discussion.  See it at: http://www.jspublications.net/tips/Scoring.html

Doc

Offline Marauder

• CAS-L Ghost Rider
  • Top Active Citizen
    • Marauder's Old West Page
  • Liked:
Re: Scoring
« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2004, 12:56:50 PM »
Interesting, Doc.

One thing to remember is that when I started shooting SASS only some clubs had a computer.  Many were scoring with a calculator or by hand.  So they could not handle a complicated system.  Rank and total time were both pretty easy to do manually.  Computers do give us some additional flexibility, but do we want to require everyone to buy a $250 program, or would SASS provide one?

As to the suggested scoring, I’ve heard good things about some of them so twas eager to see your example.

It would take a lot of study and additional comparisons to see what the difference would really be.  But my initial guess would be that it may take a larger change including changing the penalty for a miss.  From a quick review, is 5 seconds appropriate for a miss – when using this new system?
For example, when I look at the results from stage four.  The time difference between places 1 & 2 (Bud & Doc) was 5 seconds with a variation of 4.3 it points.  The variation between 2 & 3 (Doc & J.C.) is 0.7 seconds with a variation of over 15 hit points.  This is a much lower difference in time but a higher variation in hit points.  Wouldn’t this be questioned?

The next thing I looked at was the difference between Jess Brown & Calaveras Bear (since the came in as 6 & 7 in hit points but were 8 & 6 respectively in both total time and rank.)  C. They split the 6 stages, winning 3 each compared to each other, with C. Bear the time differences listed below:

C. Bear         +5.2  -2  -1.5  -1  +3  +0.03
Jess

Certainly, there are close.

Before I could make a final decision, I would have to see more examples including more DNF, DQ, etc as I see that as the week point in rank scoring.  ( I know there was one of those, but that shooter placed consistently low anyway.)  Plus these stages were largely the same time required, so I’d want to see matches with a variety of required total times – as that is the weakness of total time.

But, at this point, the system isn’t really bad, but it would have additional controversies as I noted.  So it wouldn’t be worth the extra effort and may not be better than rank for large match OR total time for smaller ones.  But I’m still open to ideas (as if that mattered  ;)  ;)  )

Sorry for the long post, but tis complicated subject for a simple mind.

Offline Doc Shapiro

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: April 16, 2004, 06:25:07 PM »
Marauder, thank you for the response!

Looking at stage 4, you have to factor in RAW time instead of the time listed.  I shot the stage in 16.5 seconds, same as Bud.  But I missed a shot, creating a Hit Factor score of 114.  JC Boggs shot it clean in 22.8 seconds, giving him a Hit Factor score of 89.  That factors in both the time to shoot the stage and the misses.  With both rank points and Hit Factor points, I still beat JC Boggs on the stage. 

When you compare Jess and CB, you have to take those into account too.  The times listed are AFTER the misses are added in, not the raw times.

Take another look.

Incidentally, I'm not advocating that we switch scoring methods.  Just throwing it out for review and comment.

Doc

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 08:06:49 PM »

Offline Marauder

• CAS-L Ghost Rider
  • Top Active Citizen
    • Marauder's Old West Page
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: April 16, 2004, 07:55:20 PM »
I saw the miss and clean.  What I was trying to point out was the relative Hit point spread versus the final time spread.

By the way, nice shooting, Pard!

Offline Doc Shapiro

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: April 16, 2004, 10:53:34 PM »
The relative hit point spread is a better indicator of hits over a period of time than raw time is.  I think it's a better indicator of the skill of the shooter.  It also does a real good job of giving you an accurate indication of how far behind the top dogs you are.  Looks like in my case, pretty dang close!

On a personal note, I've been working real hard at improving and have dropped my stage times by about 30% from the last time you saw me.  I'm trying to catch Bud.  That kid (14 years old) is amazing.  Stage 4 at that match was a 10 pistol, 10 rifle, 2 shotgun run.  On the pistol miss, I shot when the front sight was on the target.  Problem was that the front sight was off to the right of the rear sight.  Not in the notch at all!  Bad draw  ::)

See ya at Mule Camp!

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com