Author Topic: How 'Bout Some Suggestions?  (Read 9511 times)

Offline Doc Shapiro

• Top Active Citizen
    • Custom Handmade Pistol Grips
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
How 'Bout Some Suggestions?
« on: March 24, 2004, 10:53:57 AM »
Hext suggested writing more articles like the dry fire one.  It's a good idea! 

I came up with that one as I was addressing a specific issue that I had.  Other than that, I don't often have a brain storm on what to write about.

So, if there are any specific topics that you'd like to see addressed as pertains to practice or techniques, let me know and I'll see what I can do.  If it's better done as a video, I'll try that.  If it works written, I'll try that.

Check out the "Tips and Help" section of my web site (link below) to see what I've already written.

So how about some suggestions!

Thanks,
Doc
jnshapiro@mindspring.com
http://www.jspublications.net

Big Hext Finnigan

Re: How 'Bout Some Suggestions?
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2004, 11:41:48 AM »
I think that mechanical reliability is the single most frustrating part of the game for new and old alike.  If you can take a look at the issues which affect reliability, and make some suggestions, both home and gunsmith oriented, that would be a valuable resource.

Adios,

Offline Doc Shapiro

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2004, 12:56:19 PM »
Good idea Hext! 

Article is done.  It's toward the bottom of the list at: http://www.jspublications.net/tips.html

Let me know if this helps.

Doc

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 05:07:59 PM »

Offline Willie Wheelgun

• Very Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2004, 08:50:51 PM »
Doc,
My biggest frustration has been point of aim with fixed sight resolvers.  As an example, I have four 45 Colt six-guns, two short barrel and two long.  I shoot the long barrel six-guns with BP and I resort to shooting the short barrel ones when I choose to shoot smokeless (usually a match a fair distance from the homestead).
I recently invested in a barrel vice, but you still have a trial and error situation.  I cannot find any local smiths that will work on this aspect even though I assume it only takes a limited amount of time. 
Willie
Land of the free BECAUSE of the brave!
God Bless America
Soos Creek, Washington Territory

Offline Doc Shapiro

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: March 24, 2004, 09:33:18 PM »
Willie, that's a pretty quick thing to change, and is trial and error.  It's best to do it at the range if you can.  That way you can shoot a group, nudge the barrel, shoot a group, etc.  Once you have the windage dialed in, it should be fine.  Now elevation changes with bullet weight and load, so that you may have to compensate some for.

Turning a barrel isn't a process that I've done.  I've always sent the gun off to someone to do it for me.  I wouldn't feel confident about writing an article addressing it.

But thanks for the suggestion.

Doc

Offline Paper Chaser

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: March 25, 2004, 06:25:34 PM »
Howdy, Doc.  Well how about a 'basics' on cleaning our shooters and then some of your personal insights about what works best for you?
SASS #54926
Mississippi Peacemakers,NatchezSixgunners
BOLD #H13
GAF #310; SBSS #1415; SCORRS

Offline Doc Shapiro

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: March 25, 2004, 06:36:08 PM »
Basics on cleaning?  Depends on what I've been shootin.  If smokeless, I just put 'em back in the safe.  If BP, they get cleaned with water, brush, patches, and then lube.

When they come all the way down, the parts get covered with bore butter during reassembly.  But I only break 'em down about every 10,000 rounds or so, or about once every other month, or right before a big shoot.  Next time will be right before EOT.

If they get wet, they come all the way down to make sure they are well dried, then any rust is worked off gently with 000 steel wool and oil, then they are cleaned up and lubed.

If there's leading, I'll use a Lewis Lead remover and one of those lead away cloths.  Those work pretty good.  For lube I normally just use Ballistol and Bore Butter.  Though I slather the hinge parts of my SxS with white lithium bicycle grease.

That help?

Doc

Offline Willie Wheelgun

• Very Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: March 25, 2004, 11:19:59 PM »
Thanks for the reply Doc.  I do not relish the thought of sending my six-guns out of state because of the regulations.
I am going to try what you suggested.  I have a Lee hand loader and I am going to size, prime, and bell some cases and take powder, measure, trickler and components to a range and play with them a little. If I am less than brain dead on that day I will take my picture machine and try to record the progress and send you the pictures and results.
Thank you for your outstanding support of this sport.
WW :)
Land of the free BECAUSE of the brave!
God Bless America
Soos Creek, Washington Territory

Offline Doc Shapiro

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #8 on: March 25, 2004, 11:25:00 PM »
Willie, once you have a load that you've settled on, if the groups print low, take a file to your front sight.  File a little, shoot, repeat until the groups are where you want them.  Remember, it's easier to take metal off than put it back on!

Doc

Big Hext Finnigan

« Reply #9 on: March 25, 2004, 11:36:12 PM »
Hey Doc,

Would you like me to split these topics up?  Make them more specific or just leave them.  Up to you.

Offline Doc Shapiro

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #10 on: March 26, 2004, 01:52:21 AM »
Hext, I kinda like the single thread.  It's a lot easier for me to follow and makes it easy for others to see what's been discussed.

Thanks for the offer though.

Doc

Offline Will Pluggum

• Mesa, Arizona
  • Top Active Citizen
  • SASS 57339, NRA
  • Liked:
« Reply #11 on: March 27, 2004, 03:24:41 PM »
Hey Doc....you got any dis-assembly/re-assembly and tuning instructions for SAA's that you could post?
N.R.A. ....the big posse' is keepin an eye on them bushwackers for us....JOIN UP!   www.nra.org

Offline Doc Shapiro

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #12 on: March 27, 2004, 04:37:31 PM »
Will, here's my SAA tuning instructions.... 
Box it up and ship it to Cody Conager.  301-624-4348

That's something I don't normally mess with, Cody tunes the Colt/Clones that I have and get.  I don't even shoot them first, they just go straight to him.  Same with my rifles.

Doc

Offline Will Pluggum

• Mesa, Arizona
  • Top Active Citizen
  • SASS 57339, NRA
  • Liked:
« Reply #13 on: March 27, 2004, 04:58:10 PM »
Will, here's my SAA tuning instructions.... 
Box it up and ship it to Cody Conager.  301-624-4348

That's something I don't normally mess with, Cody tunes the Colt/Clones that I have and get.  I don't even shoot them first, they just go straight to him.  Same with my rifles.

Doc

Your a smart man, Doc.  Don't have any missing gun springs hiding in your house, do ya!    I still haven't found that lost bolt spring from my shotgun!
N.R.A. ....the big posse' is keepin an eye on them bushwackers for us....JOIN UP!   www.nra.org

Offline Doc Shapiro

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #14 on: March 27, 2004, 08:46:04 PM »
Nope, no missing springs.  They are all accounted for.  I have been known to do some of that though.  I can replace parts and do some basic action work.  But I don't have the knowledge or tools to build a real "race gun." 

Your a smart man, Doc.

Not many folks tell me that!   8) ;D

Doc

Offline Howdy Doody

• CAS-L Ghost Rider
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #15 on: March 28, 2004, 01:17:11 PM »
Doc, I notice that you notice things about others that they don't notice themselves. Does that make sense? What I am saying is that you have no doubt noticed that I tend to miss a lot of easy pistol targets, but seldom a rifle target. Well, I think I am honing in on the answer. Old and bad eyesight. This you have no experience in........yet.  :) You may have noticed I had a better time of it last week and missed less. The cure? I had a different pair of glasses on. Not on purpose, but by accident. I usually wear trifocals and had the bifocals on that I usually wear at the computer. Hmmmmm. I could see my sight better in bright sunlight than usual and it got me to thinking, so I ordered a new pair of safety glasses up that has my prescription and they will duplicate my bifocals I really shouldn't have been wearing last week, because they are not polycarb safety. Being near brain dead, I never realized I was risking injury until about the last stage when I realized it was not my shooting glasses I had on.
So, what I am saying about front sight, front sight is first you have to be able to see front sight  :D I sure hope I can get them by the time the shoot this week comes up. Cya there pard.
yer pard,
Howdy Doody
Notorious BP shooter

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com