Author Topic: Got Some Grashorn's Gunworks Elk Stags for my .44 Special New Vaquero!!!  (Read 5919 times)

Offline Jake MacReedy

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 13
Sitting here in Baghdad gets rather boring when I'm not flying, so I popped in RIO LOBO in the old computer and watched John Wayne and company fight the bad guys tonight.  Now Robert MItchum's son, Chris, is also in this fine movie, playing "Tuscarora."  Chris carries a Single Action with what appears to be a nickel finish and stag grips, with the 4 3/4" barrel.  There's a scene near the end of the movie when he and Jorge Rivero ("Captain Pierre Cardona") are in the creek and Chris lays his Single Action on the bank.  You get a real good look at the stag grips then.  This has "inspired" me to want to get a set of Patrick Grashorn's elk stag grips for my stainless Lipsey's Vaquero with a 4 5/8" barrel.  I know it's not a Colt, but it'll do for me!  Won't be able to get them until I get home in December, but that gives me something else to look forward to!  Yeehaw!

Here's a link to a pic of the ones I'm thinking about:
http://grashornsgunworks.com/sitebuildercontent/sitebuilderpictures/44spelkstags001.JPG

Jake

Offline Old Doc

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Don't have the movie handy. Were they real stag grips or the more familiar imitation Franzite type grips?

Offline Jake MacReedy

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
Doc,

I'm going to watch the movie again this evening and see if I can tell.  They could very well be the old Franzite grips.  I'm going to pause it when I can get a good look at them and see if I can tell.

Jake

Advertising

Offline Tascosa Joe

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • SASS #: 2770
  • NCOWS #: L-168
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 11
Jake:

If you are bored, look at Nutmeg Sports.  They dont have stag but they have grips that will make you drool on yourself.

T-Joe
NRA Life, TSRA Life, NCOWS  Life

Offline Jake MacReedy

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
You're right, Joe!  I've been drooling over Mr. Alaimo's ivory grips for years!  I've had several pairs of Patrick Grashorn's elk stag grips on various revolvers over the years, and I love them!  He makes them exactly to my specifications and they fit like a glove.  And it amazes me how quickly he provides them!

Jake

Offline Old Doc

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
You're right, Joe!  I've been drooling over Mr. Alaimo's ivory grips for years!  I've had several pairs of Patrick Grashorn's elk stag grips on various revolvers over the years, and I love them!  He makes them exactly to my specifications and they fit like a glove.  And it amazes me how quickly he provides them!

Jake
You will be very happy with Jim Alaimo's work. I have a set of one piece ivories he did on my Turnbull Cowboy Classic and they are superb. The gun is cased with a second Turnbull Cowboy Classic wearing one piece elk stag grips, which I believe were done by Grashorn.

Offline Jake MacReedy

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
Re: Got Some Grashorn's Gunworks Elk Stags for my .44 Special New Vaquero!!!
« Reply #6 on: November 29, 2011, 02:00:44 AM »
Patrick finished my elk stag grips, and, as usual, he did a fantastic job!  He sent me this picture of them...can hardly wait to get home and get them installed on my New Vaquero!  Here's a picture of the grips, and of the NV they will adorn when I get back to Texas!

Jake

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com