Special Interests - Groups & Societies > Uberti, Pietta and other SAA Clones

Pietta Thunderball

(1/2) > >>

Niederlander:
Gentlemen, I'm looking at a Pietta single action marked Thunderball .357 on the side of the barrel, but has the regular plow handle grip.  The frame looks like a Great Western II.  What the heck is that thing?

Abilene:
The Thunderball is the name Cimarron gave to the Pietta version of their Thunderer.  Thunderball grips are shaped like the Uberti Thunderer but are a tad thinner (not nearly as thin as the Lightning, though).  So, the gun you are looking at at one time had the Thunderball-type grip but has been changed for plow handle.  That essentially makes it the same as an EMF GW-II or a Cimarron Frontier.

Niederlander:
Okay.  That's what I thought, but I'd never even heard of a Thunderball, and when I looked it up, they all had the birdshead grip.  Thanks!

Advertising:

Coffinmaker:

:)  Whoops  ;)

Not so fast here.  It's not a Frankenpistol.  It depends on where/who the gun came from.  As in my Brandy knew set of El Malo 2.  If you source the sample example of the El Malo 2 from Cimarron, it has the Thunderball Grip and a Lower Hammer and will be .45 Colt.  It is a Great Western II.  If the gun is sourced from EMF (PIETTA) The gun will have Plow Handle Grip and a regular stand up Hammer and will be a .357.  It is a Great Western II.

Don't think I'd describe it as a "Thing."  Real god chance it has also not been altered from OEM, even though My El Malo have been altered (by Me) to Plow Handle and Stand Up Hammer.  Burma Shave

Niederlander:
Good to know!

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version