Author Topic: Proposed Military Catagory  (Read 19926 times)

Offline Pawnee Bill

• Very Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: Proposed Military Catagory
« Reply #40 on: July 12, 2006, 12:15:41 PM »
Why is there so much effort being made to fit a square peg in a round hole.

Authentic military arms of the Victorian era are not compatable with SASS or NCOWS rules regarding what arms can be used.

The GAF needs to develope its own rules, classes, etc.

Weapons & Uniforms must be matched for the era portrayed.  For military personell they must unit's TO& E for the era.

And the final product will be far superior.

Just the humble opinion of an old military living-historian. (Who is becoming a decent CAS shooter.)

Michael "Books" Tatham
Capt. 5th Kansas Battery
Acting Artillery Commander, Dept. of Missouri
Although I don't really have a dog in this fight I agree it's kinda like reinventing the wheel
Cheers
Pawnee Bill

Offline Major Matt Lewis

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #41 on: July 12, 2006, 01:28:41 PM »
I don't see it as reinventing the wheel.  I see it as making the wheel bigger.  Now, if you look at the idea of a Military catagory and the guidelines in which I wrote, nobody is proposing to use big bore stuff or change the way the SASS Game is played.  As with B-Western and Classic Cowboy, it is a catagory based on costuming and other accoutraments.  And it has the same merits of B-Western and Classic Cowboy.

Now, that being said, as a SASS Catagory, I am about to be blunt here, I don't give a hoot or a holler about complete and total authenticity.  I dress mostly authentic, but that's me....Also, being a SASS Catagory, under SASS guidelines, Hollywood Military impressions are not only allowed, but they are welcomed with open arms.  Also, under SASS guidelines, Big Bore Rifles are not allowed in main-matches. 

Now, that said, if you want to shoot your Big Bore stuff in a main match, checkout Sgt Drydock's thread on the subject.  Also, I strongly urge that before taking the time to post a response to a thread, we take the time to reflect on the meaning of the post.  The Military Catagory has been proposed to the SASS Wild Bunch as a new catagory, so that would mean that all SASS rules would apply to the catagory.  That means no Big Bores in the main match, Hollywood looks are fine.  All SASS rules for main match guns, ammo and safety would apply.  Many are reading way too much into this and interjecting their thoughts and ideas, while mudding the intention.  Many are doing so, because they have not read nor taken care to understand the point of this post, which has been clearly posted with in the thread. 
Major Matt Lewis
Grand Army of the Frontier * SASS Life * NCOWS * Powder Creek Cowboys * Free State Ranges * RO II * NRA Life * Man on the Edge

Offline Major Matt Lewis

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #42 on: July 12, 2006, 01:32:23 PM »

Hmmmm.  A Hollywood class for those who just want to shoot SASS in a uniform of sorts.  I think that would be okay, as long as there are also some authentic classes.

Gee Mike, I am glad you approve.  Does this mean you are going to join SASS now?  Buy the way, this is what the entire thread was about....I know it can be hard to rake through all the muck, but you got it....
Major Matt Lewis
Grand Army of the Frontier * SASS Life * NCOWS * Powder Creek Cowboys * Free State Ranges * RO II * NRA Life * Man on the Edge

Advertising

« Reply #43 on: Today at 04:51:39 AM »

Offline Books OToole

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Michael Tatham
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 91
« Reply #43 on: July 12, 2006, 02:14:01 PM »
Rich;

Sorry about high-jacking your thread.  :-[  I thought it would be a good place to start a discussion of creating a real Military Action Shooting organization.  I believe that the GAF has that potential, but we have to think outside the SASS/NCOWS boxes.

And no on joining SASS.  I refused to join NCOWS until they created a 2 gun class.  If SASS were to do that, I might consider joining.

The quote that you used regarding a "Hollywood Class" was in the context of a new Organization.  [I don't really care what SASS does, I don't have a horse in that race.]

Books
G.I.L.S.

K.V.C.
N.C.O.W.S. 2279 - Senator
Hiram's Rangers C-3
G.A.F. 415
S.F.T.A.

Offline Major Matt Lewis

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #44 on: July 12, 2006, 02:26:58 PM »
Rich;

Sorry about high-jacking your thread.  :-[  I thought it would be a good place to start a discussion of creating a real Military Action Shooting organization.  I believe that the GAF has that potential, but we have to think outside the SASS/NCOWS boxes.

And no on joining SASS.  I refused to join NCOWS until they created a 2 gun class.  If SASS were to do that, I might consider joining.

The quote that you used regarding a "Hollywood Class" was in the context of a new Organization.  [I don't really care what SASS does, I don't have a horse in that race.]

Books

You know, the idea of a MAS or as I once called it, FMAS, is a dang fine one.  Great idea for nitch marketing.  No worries about the hijacking, this thread has been high jacked so many times, now even Lebanon will not allow it to be read there.... ;)
Major Matt Lewis

Offline Major Matt Lewis

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #45 on: July 13, 2006, 09:04:34 AM »
Not looking to change the GAF Muster or to disaffiliate with NCOWS.  As a matter of fact, in reality, GAF has nothing to do really with the proposed shooting catagory.  It's not "GAF Approved."  There was no "GAF Committee."  This is just my effort to get like-minded SASS shooters together and show SASS that there is interest in this potential catagory.
Major Matt Lewis

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com