Author Topic: Perversions of the Holy Black  (Read 11255 times)

Offline kflach

• The Cockroach Kid
  • Top Active Citizen
  • NCOWS #3258
    • Kevin Flach - Digital Communicator
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Perversions of the Holy Black
« on: September 16, 2009, 08:58:55 PM »
Yesterday the rain cleared out enough that I got to go to the range. As I was in the office/store, paying for my pleasure, I noted that they had some things that appeared to be laser sights that could be mounted on a pistol. I must admit that a perverse thought crossed my mind, but even if I had the money I wouldn't do that to my beloved Remmie.

However, it set my mind to wondering, and I thought I'd ask ya'll what was the most perverse/unusual modification you've seen or tried out on a BP gun?

Did it work the way it was supposed to?

Offline Icebox Bob

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
Re: Perversions of the Holy Black
« Reply #1 on: September 16, 2009, 09:21:02 PM »
Pardon me  ;) - but I've got this image of laser beams flashing through the smoke.............. ;D
Well.... see, if you take your time, you get a more harmonious outcome.

Offline Dalton Masterson

• Freeda Bee Mee's driver and ammo loader
  • Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Wheeeeee!
    • Dalton Masterson's site
  • SASS #: 51139
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 4
« Reply #2 on: September 16, 2009, 10:20:44 PM »
Odd thing I saw posted once.
A blackpowder barrel for a 1911.
DM
SASS #51139L
Former Territorial Governor of the Platte Valley Gunslingers (Ret)
GAF (Bvt.) Major in command of Battalion of Western Nebraska
SUDDS 194--Double Duelist and proud of it!
RATS #65
SCORRS
Gunfighting Soot Lord from Nebrasky
44 spoke, and it sent lead and smoke, and 17 inches of flame.
https://www.facebook.com/Plum-Creek-Leatherworks-194791150591003/
www.runniron.com

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 08:49:40 PM »

Offline Angel_Eyes

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: September 17, 2009, 01:01:32 PM »
I don't know if you guys know anything about UK licensing, but once when I applied for a variation of my Firearms Certificate for a M/Loading  .451 rifle, I was also granted permission to hold 600 rounds of ammunition!!
(We have to tell them what type of firearm and calibre we want before we can buy it).

A similar instance happened when I obtained my Uberti Walker, 600x .44 cartridges!
(We can't have Kirst style conversion cylinders)

You would think they would have someone in the Police Firearms dept who knew what they were administering.

AE (who still chuckles about it!)
Trouble is...when I'm paid to do a job, I always carry it through. (Angel Eyes, The Good, The Bad & The Ugly)
BWSS # 54, RATS# 445, SCORRS,
Cowboy from Robin Hood's back yard!!

Offline Cuts Crooked

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: September 17, 2009, 01:45:37 PM »
Once saw a 3 X 9 scope mounted on an Ohio style rifle. It did shoot great, but it sure looked wierd!
Warthog
Bold
Scorrs
Storm
Dark Lord of the Soot
Honorary member of the Mormon Posse
NCOWS #2250
SASS #36914
...work like you don't need the money, love like you've never been hurt, and dance like you do when nobody is watching..

Offline Grapeshot

• Grapeshot. Cpt US Artillery
  • Top Active Citizen
  • WARTHOG
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 2
« Reply #5 on: September 17, 2009, 03:57:23 PM »
I don't know if you guys know anything about UK licensing, but once when I applied for a variation of my Firearms Certificate for a M/Loading  .451 rifle, I was also granted permission to hold 600 rounds of ammunition!!
(We have to tell them what type of firearm and calibre we want before we can buy it).

A similar instance happened when I obtained my Uberti Walker, 600x .44 cartridges!
(We can't have Kirst style conversion cylinders)

You would think they would have someone in the Police Firearms dept who knew what they were administering.

AE (who still chuckles about it!)

There were cartridges for cap and ball revolvers.  They were made from, paper, foil, and animal membrane.  Completely self contained and sealed with colodial, a solution of nitro cellulose and alcohol.

Likewise for M/L rifles,  Paper tube with powder and ball.  It also was called a cartridge.  So maybe, just maybe they do know what they were telling you and figured you didn't know what they were refering to. 
Listen!  Do you hear that?  The roar of Cannons and the screams of the dying.  Ahh!  Music to my ears.

Offline Angel_Eyes

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: September 17, 2009, 05:21:30 PM »
No Grapeshot, I was not mistaken on this subject, believe me.
If only some of them were that knowledgeable, they might be better at administration on our behalf.
The way some of them act, you would think they were trying to put themselves out of a job.

"It's pitiful, boy, just pitiful !"

AE
Trouble is...when I'm paid to do a job, I always carry it through. (Angel Eyes, The Good, The Bad & The Ugly)
BWSS # 54, RATS# 445, SCORRS,
Cowboy from Robin Hood's back yard!!

44caliberkid

« Reply #7 on: September 17, 2009, 05:54:18 PM »
How about the time the Lone Gunman lost the wedge out of his Colt style revolver during a match and wired his barrel on with bread sack ties.   Then he printed a picture of the Outlaw Josey Wales, pointing his pistols, with bread ties in the wedge slots. (photoshop trick)   Had me LOL.

Offline Hedley Lamarr

• Top Active Citizen
  • ~Aggravator Emeritus~
  • Liked:
« Reply #8 on: September 17, 2009, 09:13:35 PM »
Tactical SAA:

Hedley Lamarr
SASS #14478 ROII
~Aggravator Emeritus~
"Dashingly Corrupt"

Offline kflach

• The Cockroach Kid
  • Top Active Citizen
  • NCOWS #3258
    • Kevin Flach - Digital Communicator
  • Liked:
« Reply #9 on: September 17, 2009, 10:00:21 PM »
Well tie me to an ant hill and spread jam between my ears! Hedley that's brilliant, and it's even Period Correct ain't it!

LOL!

Offline Three Steps

• Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #10 on: February 20, 2010, 04:34:12 PM »
I slipped a laser pen into the left barrel of a flinlock double shotgun at a night time candle shoot at a rendezvous. When I fired the flame went out and of course  they all said fowl and disqualified me. When re-lighting the candle we noticed I had missed by a couple of feet and hit a fresh cow patty and splattered the candle. I would rather have a good story than first place anytime.

Offline fourfingersofdeath

• The Old Loquacious one's loquacious signature:
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Dang! Caught shooting a 357!
    • Mick's photobucket!
  • Liked:
« Reply #11 on: February 20, 2010, 10:48:18 PM »
I slipped a laser pen into the left barrel of a flinlock double shotgun at a night time candle shoot at a rendezvous. When I fired the flame went out and of course  they all said fowl and disqualified me. When re-lighting the candle we noticed I had missed by a couple of feet and hit a fresh cow patty and splattered the candle. I would rather have a good story than first place anytime.

Not a shooting story, but the cowpat reminded me of it. The little country town in which my bro in law used to live in had a novel fun raiser. They fenced off an area at the showground and just before the annual agricultural show they mowed it into squares. and numbered them. You bought a ticket with a grid on it and picked 10 numbers I think it was. The cow munched away for the two days of the show and as it was closing, they removed the cow and did a count. Highest score won. Raised lots of money and assured multiple attendance at the show. Normally it was about deserted on the second afternoon, but since they have been doing that, it is packed right up until closing. It has the same numbers of squares as a lotto card and of course is called Poop Lotto.
All my cowboy gun's calibres start with a 4! It's gotta be big bore and whomp some!

BOLD No: 782
RATS No: 307
STORM No:267

www.boldlawdawgs.com

Offline Dalton Masterson

• Freeda Bee Mee's driver and ammo loader
  • Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Wheeeeee!
    • Dalton Masterson's site
  • SASS #: 51139
  • Liked:
« Reply #12 on: February 20, 2010, 11:22:01 PM »
We did that in FFA, but with chickens. Folks basically bought a square, and we split the pot, if I recall.
 We called it Chicken Checkers....
SASS #51139L
Former Territorial Governor of the Platte Valley Gunslingers (Ret)
GAF (Bvt.) Major in command of Battalion of Western Nebraska
SUDDS 194--Double Duelist and proud of it!
RATS #65
SCORRS
Gunfighting Soot Lord from Nebrasky
44 spoke, and it sent lead and smoke, and 17 inches of flame.
https://www.facebook.com/Plum-Creek-Leatherworks-194791150591003/
www.runniron.com

Offline Jamie

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #13 on: February 21, 2010, 07:49:52 AM »
Sounds to me like the "dropping" attendance at the showgrounds was actually an increase.  Will PERVERSIONS of science never cease?
(did you like the way I got back to the thread's subject? ;D)
Jamie

Offline fourfingersofdeath

• The Old Loquacious one's loquacious signature:
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Dang! Caught shooting a 357!
    • Mick's photobucket!
  • Liked:
« Reply #14 on: February 21, 2010, 08:25:22 AM »
I think those in line modern BP guns are a bit of an abomination, but then we don't have much in the way of seasons here. We now have deer season for a few of the species, which is basciallly from early autumn to late winter but any guns are ok, as long as they make a minimum power level in certain cases. I suppose if I had seasons that dictated use of black powder guns, I would think differently. I didn't mind the look of the Remington black powder gun though. At least it has good lines. Some of them are just plain hard on the eyes, no style at all.

Those underhammer guns are as ugly as sin as well, even if they are historically correct.
All my cowboy gun's calibres start with a 4! It's gotta be big bore and whomp some!

BOLD No: 782
RATS No: 307
STORM No:267

www.boldlawdawgs.com

Offline Dick Dastardly

• Master of the Dark Arts - MDA
  • Top Active Citizen
    • Big Lube molds
  • Liked:
« Reply #15 on: February 21, 2010, 08:28:19 AM »
Now, if we could only score the BS that flies around our Capitol I'm pretty sure a lottery would yield enough to settle our national debt.  Of course with all that smoke and no flames it would be hard to sort out, if the smoke ever did clear. . .

DD-DLoS
Avid Ballistician in Holy Black
Riverboat Gambler and Wild Side Rambler
Gunfighter Ordinar
Purveyor of Big Lube supplies

Offline Blackpowder Burn

• Top Active Citizen
  • Smoke & Lightning
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 5
« Reply #16 on: February 25, 2010, 10:19:21 AM »
Dick,

ROFL!  How very true!!   :o
SUBLYME AND HOLY ORDER OF THE SOOT
Learned Brother at Armes

Offline Gatofeo

• Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #17 on: February 27, 2010, 01:40:22 PM »
A wee bit off-topic but still in the blackpowder realm:
In the early 1980s, there was a guy in the parking lot of the gun show at Spokane, Washington that was touting a firewood splitter he'd devised.
It was mounted on a small trailer and used, if I recall correctly, about 40 grs. of black powder to drive the wedge into the chunk of wood. He filled a chamber, nestled the wedge against the block of wood, and fired it with a lanyard. Don't recall what he used for a primer.
It worked, but what a noise!
And I kept thinking, "Hope he doesn't bring that contraption into the woods or he'll burn the whole West down!"
It spewed hot sparks all over the ground under the trailer.
Even back in the 80s, it was a task to find black powder. And it was just too cumbersome for practical use. Today, it's probably sitting in the weeds, rusting away.
And his family probably continues to josh him:
"Hey grandpa! How many millions did ya make off that Cordwood Cannon ya invented?" muhahahahahahahahaha!
"Oh ... shut ... up," he probably grumbles back at them. "Don't make me push this walker over there and kick yer butt!"
 ;D
"A vast desert. Smoke. Brimstone. Pierced parchment. The ugly cat is much amused." -- The Quantrains of Gatodamus (1503-1566)

Offline Drayton Calhoun

• American Plainsmen Society
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #18 on: May 09, 2010, 07:18:55 PM »
I have been told I am too traditional. I had a hard enough time accepting the T/C Renegade because it had coil springs in the action. Suffice to say, I am not fond of inlines.
The first step of becoming a good shooter is knowing which end the bullet comes out of and being on the other end.

Offline Percussion Pete

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #19 on: May 10, 2010, 10:56:47 AM »
This is a personal thing, but I hate the looks of stainless steel.
Pete

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com