Author Topic: Do you know where your Bowie is?  (Read 22441 times)

Offline rebsr52339

• Bowie Knife Dick (SASS#87007)
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Do you know where your Bowie is?
« on: January 07, 2010, 02:19:37 PM »
Pursuant to Ned's suggestion I will post some of my Antique Bowies and some of the new ones I have made. To me there are only two icons which are in truth "only in America" That is; The American Cowboy and the Bowie knife.  Think about it, no single image of either a Cowboy or a Bowie Knife can come to your mind without a flood of images, emotion and down right pride as these two.  I will show one of the knives I made to be exhibited at the Muleback Hotel in Chicago in 1976 for the centennial celebration in conjunction with the Annual Knife Guilds show. I have owned many 1/2 horse 1/2 alligator bowies, by Wragg, Woodhead and other Sheffield makers. I was given a pommel by Bob A. and he said, "Go ahead and copy one of your bowies" The blade was cut out by a knife maker friend in Ct where I lived at the time. He showed me how to remove the stock and shape and polish the blade. This one is mounted in solid silver and gold. The sheath took me three months to do all the piercings. In 1976 at the show a German collector offered me $5000 for the knife. He "still" calls me to se if I still have it. I guess it will go to my son. I would hope many more of you will post knives, new and old as you know the passion. You CANNOT get too much of a good thing. I can only post two photos so would have to do another post to get more on if you wish to see more detail. Enjoy and ask questions if you want.

Bowie Knife Dick
SASS#87007
ABKA # 23
Bowie Knife Dick
NCOWS #3318
SASS #87007
RATS #564
ABKA #23

Offline Ned Buckshot

• Top Active Citizen
  • Ned at Silverado, NM
  • Liked:
Re: Do you know where your Bowie is?
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2010, 02:23:48 PM »
Beautiful Dick!

You don't need to do another whole post. Just reply to the the thread you started and post more pictures!

Keep 'em coming, that one was awsome!

Ned
Ned Buckshot

SASS# 2901   nedbuckshot@gmail.com

SEE MY ADS IN CAS CITY CLASSIFIEDS

Offline rebsr52339

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2010, 02:38:17 PM »
Here are a couple of more detail shots. I was taught to engrave by a good friend who retired to Kallispell Mt and who has sence died. A real shame and a truly great loss of talent. The blade is engraved "Arkansas Toothpick" My God what else would it be.   ;D

Bowie Knife Dick
SASS#87007
ABKA #23
Bowie Knife Dick
NCOWS #3318
SASS #87007
RATS #564
ABKA #23

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 05:03:50 PM »

Offline Josh Dabney

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: January 07, 2010, 02:45:07 PM »
WOW !!!

Just amazing stuff !!!

Thanks for sharing them with us and as Ned said "Keep them comming"

-Josh

Offline rebsr52339

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: January 07, 2010, 04:17:34 PM »
Thank you so much. Would hope some of the other folks will put some up. This country is full of some very tallented people. I am always amazed at the caliber of artisans out there. Kinda inspires us. I'll wait and see who else posts. Don't want to "hog" this discussion. I will also try and fill you in on the history behind each knife as I know it. Most of mine have a stack of paper work associated with them. I'll explain later.

Bowie Knife Dick
SASS #87007
ABKA # 23
Bowie Knife Dick
NCOWS #3318
SASS #87007
RATS #564
ABKA #23

Offline rebsr52339

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: January 07, 2010, 07:38:05 PM »
OK The last photo of the 1/2H 1/2A Bowie. You talked me into it.   ;D Time for a rest.
Bowie Knife Dick
NCOWS #3318
SASS #87007
RATS #564
ABKA #23

Offline GunClick Rick

• Top Active Citizen
  • Scudders all of yas~
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
« Reply #6 on: January 08, 2010, 10:41:17 PM »
What i would give to be able to focus long enough to do something like that.STUNNING piece of work..~
Bunch a ole scudders!

Offline rebsr52339

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: January 09, 2010, 02:45:19 AM »
GunClick Rick, The story behind it is a simple one. After Bob Abels gave me the 1/2H 1/2A pommel, I had it for a couple years. I hung around with a Dental surgen, my best friend, and he made a dental mold so we could do wax castings. From these we used the "lossed wax" metheod to cast the pommels in Sterling. Without these we could not do "the" knife". Later I will show you the pommel and "how" the English cutlerers made them. You may be surprised.
   In 1975 my knife making friend wanted to do something for the "76" Knife Makers Guild meeting in Chicago . I thought it would be a good idea to do a few knives, three of them, by me with his help, (I am not a professional knife maker) and Gerry was to do a couple for exhibition himself. It was a good thing I, at least, started a year before because it took me a year to do them. I had NO clue what I was letting myself in for. The knife I show here in this thread and in a couple more posts is another one. Its one of Gerry's boot knives. He made them primarilly for some poilce officers in the Hartford Police Dept. They had leather sheaths and were strapped to the calf of the leg or the forearm with velcro. We decided to use "Micarta" to do the sheath and the handle insert, because Gerry wanted to see what the long term effects of the material were. BTW I showed him the knives two years ago, 31 years after we did them. He was astonished I still had them. Gerry did the blade work and I did the scrimshaw work on this one with a leather needle and colored india ink. Again enjoy.
Bowie Knife Dick
NCOWS #3318
SASS #87007
RATS #564
ABKA #23

Offline rebsr52339

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #8 on: January 09, 2010, 02:49:19 AM »
A couple more. You will note on the recasso of the blade Gerry's initials and date "GJ76". Guess we know what year it was made in. The handle insert has my initials "REB"
Bowie Knife Dick
NCOWS #3318
SASS #87007
RATS #564
ABKA #23

Offline rebsr52339

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #9 on: January 09, 2010, 02:59:21 AM »
One more. Gee I hope other folks add knives to this thread. I know you are out there. I would be a little embarrassed if I was the only one posting. The next two knives I will show will be Antigue Bowies that I owned. Good stories behind them. BTW if you are at any CAS matches in NC this comming year and want to "hold" any of these knives I show, Just ask and I will bring them for you to see. I will try and hit Sallsbury NC this year (I live in Mebane, just 1 1/2 hrs away) and some others.
Bowie Knife Dick
NCOWS #3318
SASS #87007
RATS #564
ABKA #23

Offline Ned Buckshot

• Top Active Citizen
  • Ned at Silverado, NM
  • Liked:
« Reply #10 on: January 09, 2010, 05:20:16 AM »
I would put some pictures up but looking at yours makes me want to throw mine away!

Ned
Ned Buckshot

Offline rebsr52339

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #11 on: January 09, 2010, 06:44:20 AM »
Oh my God Ned please don't feel that way. I personally believe every knife out there is a special one and we can find some beauty in it. I have looked at a lot of knives in my 70 years and cannot remember ONE that did not fascinate me. My friend Norm Fladerman said it best that every knife "is" a story. You just have to "dig" it out. Bob Abels claimed handling a Bowie was "almost" as good as you know what. I am very anxious to see the finished push dagger you are working on. The blade is awesome. Makes me want to do another one. Come to think of it maybe I will get a blade and do one and then hide it under my vest. Kinda sneaky.
  I know every mans skills are not up to say a D. E. Henry or an Alvin White, and I sure recognize I am not, BUT, when a man puts his best and all into a project, he is at the top of his game. That is good enough for me. I am by far and away not as good as a lot of the people I know. A lot of them are unknown and do "Their thing" in quiet resolve and for their own personal satisfaction. That is me and my philosophy. If you or others find it a pleasure looking at some of my efforts, that is OK and I am glad we shared a laugh or serious moment together. Each time we put out effort, we get better than the last time. NOW lets "cut out the crap, ops I mean rhetoric" and post some knives.
Bowie Knife Dick
NCOWS #3318
SASS #87007
RATS #564
ABKA #23

Offline Ned Buckshot

• Top Active Citizen
  • Ned at Silverado, NM
  • Liked:
« Reply #12 on: January 09, 2010, 06:57:19 AM »
Ok here goes. I made this damascus dagger for Gun Click Rick a few years ago. I think it looks really good and the balance in the hand is almost spooky!

Don't hold back tell me what you think.

Ned
Ned Buckshot

Offline rebsr52339

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #13 on: January 09, 2010, 08:39:12 AM »
I personally think it is beautifil. How? you say. Look at it from the outside. The handle is canted so the blade edges are verticle. Ex+++++. It also suggests a right handed person will use it. Good choice in picking the piece of antler or bone. The file work, while I can't see ALL of it looks great. If the joints are closed and there are no gaps. what more could one ask. I would be proud to wear it and own it. I am sure he is too. The blade is outstanding. Far beyond my capabilities. Todays bladesmiths command a hefty price/inch for these so one must be cautious when hilting them. Nice work and I am not just saying that. Outstanding one of a kind. That is how I look at each knife presented to me. Now you guys, lets see some more. We need ideas.
Bowie Knife Dick
NCOWS #3318
SASS #87007
RATS #564
ABKA #23

Offline Ned Buckshot

• Top Active Citizen
  • Ned at Silverado, NM
  • Liked:
« Reply #14 on: January 09, 2010, 08:49:25 AM »
Thanks Dick, I appreciate it.

BTW The handle is Moose Antler.

Ned
Ned Buckshot

Offline Josh Dabney

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #15 on: January 09, 2010, 09:50:19 AM »
Ned,

+1 on Dick's comment.   That's one to be proud of for sure !!

Making a dagger is exponentially more difficult that making a convetional knife with 2 bevels. 

Every feature thats added to a knife increases the chance of errors that are game enders, LOL   

You definatly pulled that one off,  She's a beauty !   Embellished with care too boot,  it's just my style  ;D

-Josh

Offline Ned Buckshot

• Top Active Citizen
  • Ned at Silverado, NM
  • Liked:
« Reply #16 on: January 09, 2010, 09:58:51 AM »
Dick and Josh, those are pretty fancy words going to a knife assembler from knife making guys like you.

I sure do appreciate the kind words, nothin' like a morning ego boost to get a guy goin'! ;D

Ned
Ned Buckshot

Offline Gun Butcher

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #17 on: January 09, 2010, 08:48:29 PM »
  Well if Ned has the nerve to do it then I reckon I can't let him ride alone.

These were made from some very old files as are most of my knifes ,and I've only made about 8, so any pointers are appreciated. I have found that when I get my hardening just right they will take a wicked edge and keep it fairly well.
The second one is a small "bowie style" Just a little over 7 in. long the first is my favorite skinner style and is 4 1/4 in. long
And last and least  a little boot knife that I made many years ago. There was a long hiatus between this one and the next. Actually about 15 years.
Hope you like them .
Lost..... I ain't never been lost...... fearsome confused fer a month er two once... but I never been lost.
Life is a Journey, the best that we can find in our travels is an honest friend.

Offline Ned Buckshot

• Top Active Citizen
  • Ned at Silverado, NM
  • Liked:
« Reply #18 on: January 10, 2010, 04:53:40 AM »
Here's another one I made awhile back, Damascus bowie with Greasy Ambonya scales.

Ned
Ned Buckshot

Offline rebsr52339

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #19 on: January 10, 2010, 05:22:20 AM »
Man Gun Butcher, these are so neet. I like the way you integrated the guard into the boot knife. See, that took some thinking. The sheath on the top one is cool. I like the middle one as another example of my class of "Cowboy Knives"

Ned, What can we say. beautiful knife AND sheath.I can see the Apache Indian now picking it out of a wagon they just raided and saying, "Well my wife has some work to do on a sheath" Good job.
Bowie Knife Dick
NCOWS #3318
SASS #87007
RATS #564
ABKA #23

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com