Author Topic: What caused this to happen?  (Read 570 times)

Offline Buckshot Bear

• Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 4
What caused this to happen?
« on: May 07, 2023, 06:52:20 PM »

New to owning a 1911, not new to shooting or competing.

Used the Ruger SR1911 .45 a lot in practice zero problems.

Had my first competition yesterday and was on the line first scenario, pistol out of holster wracked the slide and 'something' small and black fell out, just saw it hit the table  thought "What the hell was that" dropped the magazine wracked the slide back to remove live round and show TO clear and next thing the firing pin and spring are on the ground 🤨

Other more experienced WB shooters told me the firing pin stop had fallen out and then the firing pin and spring (but didn't know why) got it back in with their help in a short time and shot the rest of the day with zero problems.

This is a brand new pistol, besides around 300 rounds I've put through it getting my loads right in practicing and two cleanings (never stripped the gun down to taking the firing pin out).

Anyone know why this happened? Threw my confidence a bit as I was waiting for it to happen again and it was cold, very dark and raining and I didn't want to lose the parts if it did, but the pistol working faultlessly for the rest of the day.

Offline Baltimore Ed

• Top Active Citizen
  • SASS #: 11754
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 190
Re: What caused this to happen?
« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2023, 07:20:18 PM »
Was the firing pin spring installed? It keep pressure on the firing pin to the rear which keeps in it the hole in the stop. That helps hold the stop in place. Somehow the firing pin got hung up and the stop is loosey goosey so it fell out? Check your firing pin and channel for a burr. You might want to lightly peen the edge of the stop to give it more bite so it doesn’t just fall out.
"Give'em hell, Pike"
 There is no horse so dead that you cannot continue to beat it.

Offline Buckshot Bear

• Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 4
« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2023, 07:57:54 PM »
Yes firing pin was installed, pistol is stock standard. I've never taken it apart that far.

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 09:04:17 PM »

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com