Author Topic: Thoughts on the Browning model 78 High Wall clone?  (Read 1005 times)

Offline Doc Holloman

• Very Active Citizen
  • SASS #: 110783
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Thoughts on the Browning model 78 High Wall clone?
« on: July 04, 2022, 05:57:48 PM »
While scanning through Gunbroker for a possible trapdoor purchase, I ran across the Browning 78 in .45-70, a Highwall clone.  I have a Browning-Miroku 1895  in .30-40 that I am happy with.  Wondering if the 1883 clones are just as good.  It has a 24 inch barrel which might wrok well for my Cody Dixon rifle.   I have been using a Sharps, but find the loading process too slow to be competitive, even against trapdoors.  Thinking maybe moving the Sharps over to the long range bench. 

Doc sends

Offline Blackpowder Burn

• Top Active Citizen
  • Smoke & Lightning
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 5
Re: Thoughts on the Browning model 78 High Wall clone?
« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2022, 07:26:32 PM »
The Brownings and Winchester Highwalls are outstanding rifles.  I have one of the Browning BPCR's I've used for long range (1,000 yards) for many years.  I also have a Winchester Highwall sporter in 45-70 that I use for Cody Dixon. I have also used the Winchester sporter out to 600 yards with excellent results. I love them both.

I also have several friends that have the Winchester sporter version in both 38-55 and 45-70. Also one of the Low Wall versions in 22 LR.   All shoot exceptionally well.
SUBLYME AND HOLY ORDER OF THE SOOT
Learned Brother at Armes

Offline RattlesnakeJack

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 9
« Reply #2 on: September 09, 2022, 01:22:06 AM »
Gotta say .. it was the Winchester Model 1885 Highwall that was a "clone" of the original Browning rifle, not the other way around!

Browning designed this action, and marketed it as the Model 1878 for a number of years, before selling the design to Winchester, who wanted to add a good, reliable single-shot rifle to their product line, bringing it out as their Model 1885 …

Browning refers to its more recent-production rifles as the Model 78 as a nod to this history ...

Here is an original Model 1878 Browning rifle, with an inset of its barrel markings ...
Rattlesnake Jack Robson, Scout, Rocky Mountain Rangers, North West Canada, 1885
Major John M. Robson, Royal Scots of Canada, 1883-1901
Sgt. John Robson, Queen's Own Rifles of Canada, 1885
Bvt. Col, Commanding International Dept. and Div.  of Canada, Grand Army of the Frontier

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 08:35:40 PM »

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com