Author Topic: Need ammo for your Volcanic?  (Read 2756 times)

Offline Drydock

• MA1 USN ret. GAF #19, Colonel, Chief of Staff. BC, CC, SoM. SASS 1248 Life
  • American Plainsmen Society
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 18
Need ammo for your Volcanic?
« on: August 25, 2020, 08:48:10 AM »
Civilize them with a Krag . . .

Offline ndnchf

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
Re: Need ammo for your Volcanic?
« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2021, 06:28:07 AM »
As always, another great video from Ian.  It makes me wonder if anyone has tried to make a modern version of the rocket ball.  Not that there are a lot of Volcanic repeaters laying around needing ammunition ;D But it would be neat to replicate it. 
"We're all travelers in this world.  From the sweet grass to the packing house, birth till death, we travel between the eternities"  Prentiss Ritter, Broken Trail

Offline Major 2

• "Still running against the wind"
  • Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • NCOWS #: 3032
  • GAF #: 785
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 415
« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2021, 06:53:08 AM »
Wow  20 grand  .....kinda like where primers are today  :o  rare & costly
when planets align...do the deal !

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 08:41:51 AM »

Offline Coal Creek Griff

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 634
« Reply #3 on: April 06, 2021, 11:23:24 AM »
Wow  20 grand  .....kinda like where primers are today  :o  rare & costly

With current ammo and component prices, that's not looking so bad.  Let's see... If I sell one of my AR15s at current prices, I could probably buy a Volcanic rifle. I have 1000 large rifle primers to trade for ammo... Yeah, this might work!  ;D
Manager, WT Ranch--Coal Creek Division

BOLD #921
BOSS #196
1860 Henry Rifle Shooter #173
SSS #573

Offline Cap'n Redneck

• Commd'g Co. D, Frontier Batt'n, Texas Rangers.
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Cap'n Redneck SWS #163.
  • GAF #: 273
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #4 on: April 06, 2021, 11:26:14 AM »
@ ndnchf:  Yes, the Rocket Ball has been replicated in modern times.  I recall one of the gunsmith-reality shows on History Channel did just that in an episode some years ago.
They took a .41 caliber lead bullet, drilled a hole in the bottom of it, a little smaller diameter than a large pistol primer, and then made a recess that would serve as a primer pocket.  This was all done on a lathe. 
The cavity was filled with a pinch of blackpowder, then a large pistol primer plugged the cavity. 
(Maybe the primer would need to be glued in place or secured with a layer of varnish?)
They made a handful of Rocket Balls this way, and they were fired in an original .41 cal. Navy Size Volcanic pistol.  If I remember correctly the owner of the Volcanic pistol was some kind of celebrity, and the gunshop was a family-operated one in Colorado, where the owner piloted his own helicopter...?

YouTube had the answer: Rich Wyatt of the "American Guns" reality show.  Couldn't find the Volcanic-episode, though...
"As long as there's lead in the air, there's still hope..."
Frontiersman & Frontiersman Gunfighter: The only two categories where you can play with your balls and shoot your wad while tweaking the nipples on a pair of 44s.

Offline Abilene

• CAS-L Ghost Rider
  • Top Active Citizen
    • Abilene's CAS Pages
  • SASS #: 27489
  • NCOWS #: 3958
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1180
« Reply #5 on: April 06, 2021, 12:16:05 PM »
If that's the show I'm thinking of, I think a great deal of the episodes on that show were "faked".  Like building a '73 and '66 from scratch.  Don't know about the rocketball episode, didn't see that.

Offline Major 2

• "Still running against the wind"
  • Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • NCOWS #: 3032
  • GAF #: 785
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 415
« Reply #6 on: April 06, 2021, 12:37:05 PM »
That not all Rich Wyatt did
Rich Wyatt lost his Federal Firearms License (FFL) in April, 2012 in the middle of Discovery’s American Guns television series due to violations of federal laws and regulations.
But he continued to operate his gun store and sell firearms under a straw license belonging to someone else.
He was sentenced in 2017  to 6.5 years in prison for tax fraud and conspiracy and ordered to surrender 490 guns.
when planets align...do the deal !

Offline ndnchf

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: April 06, 2021, 12:38:07 PM »
@ ndnchf:  Yes, the Rocket Ball has been replicated in modern times.  I recall one of the gunsmith-reality shows on History Channel did just that in an episode some years ago.
They took a .41 caliber lead bullet, drilled a hole in the bottom of it, a little smaller diameter than a large pistol primer, and then made a recess that would serve as a primer pocket.  This was all done on a lathe. 
The cavity was filled with a pinch of blackpowder, then a large pistol primer plugged the cavity. 
(Maybe the primer would need to be glued in place or secured with a layer of varnish?)
They made a handful of Rocket Balls this way, and they were fired in an original .41 cal. Navy Size Volcanic pistol.  If I remember correctly the owner of the Volcanic pistol was some kind of celebrity, and the gunshop was a family-operated one in Colorado, where the owner piloted his own helicopter...?

YouTube had the answer: Rich Wyatt of the "American Guns" reality show.  Couldn't find the Volcanic-episode, though...

I didn't see that, but its the same basic idea I was thinking about.  It would be interesting to see. But as Abilene mentioned, a lot of these so-called reality shows are faked. So who knows. 

One thing that puzzles me slightly in the originals is what happens to the primer anvil and other metal bits after ignition?  As Ian says, there is nothing to extract. But does this metal debris remain scattered in the barrel?, or does it all blow out the muzzle?  Hmmmm
"We're all travelers in this world.  From the sweet grass to the packing house, birth till death, we travel between the eternities"  Prentiss Ritter, Broken Trail

Offline ndnchf

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #8 on: April 06, 2021, 01:08:15 PM »
OK, I got curious and looked up the patent. I think I found the answer to my question about what happens to the primer debris after firing. The end of the 4th paragraph of the patent application says:  "... It also serves as a means for withdrawing the primer from the arm after it has been discharged"  So, it sounds like after each shot, the primer debris must be removed.

Here is another interesting RIA video about the difference between the Hunt Rocket Ball and the Volcanic cartridges.

Offline ndnchf

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #9 on: April 06, 2021, 03:29:37 PM »
Call me crazy, it won't be the first time  ;)  But just for fun, I made up a kind of dummy Volcanic cartridge. I started with a lyman 427098 bullet, the closest I had to .41 cal. It was step bored with 3 bits to hollow it out. Then a 32 mag case head was modified, and cut off to make the primer plate. Then it was pressed into the bullet. Wala! A dummy Volcanic round  ;D

Offline Professor Marvel

• purveyor of useless items to the gentry
  • American Plainsmen Society
  • Top Active Citizen
  • learn from the past, or be doomed to repeat it
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1118
« Reply #10 on: April 07, 2021, 08:45:48 PM »
Call me crazy, it won't be the first time

OK, I am Happy to oblige
       "you are crazy. but in a good way."

yhs
prof marvel
Your Humble Servant
~~~~~Professor Algernon Horatio Ubiquitous Marvel The First~~~~~~
President, CEO, Chairman,  and Chief Bottle Washer of

Professor Marvel's
Traveling Apothecary
and
Fortune Telling Emporium

Acclaimed By The Crowned Heads of Europe
Purveyor of Patent Remedies, Snake Oil, Powder, Percussion Caps, Cleaning Supplies, Dry Goods,
and
Picture Postcards

Offering Unwanted Advice for All Occasions
and
Providing Useless Items to the Gentry
Since 1822
[
Available by Appointment for Lectures on Any Topic

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com