Author Topic: HRA H011 Henry Review  (Read 37268 times)

Offline USMCJGREEN

• Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: HRA H011 Henry Review
« Reply #20 on: November 15, 2014, 10:51:59 PM »
I have one of the H011D "deluxe engraved" editions. I'm pretty sure its laser engraved, then the scroll work is gone over by hand. I've taken it out shooting only once. It shoots awesome. Standing at 50 yards, I was holding 2 inch groups. The range I was at only had bench shooting at 100 yds. I didn't put alot of rounds through it at that range, because I wanted to spend time on my 1903 Mark I. The rifle is beautiful, if you can just keep all of the hand prints off of it. I had some problems chambering rounds at first, but after I put a few rounds down range, the problem worked itself out. My wife bought the rifle for my birthday. She got it a few hundred under MSRP. I do not have a uberti. I have wanted an 1860 since Lonesome Dove came out when I was a young boy. Once I saw they were being made in America again, I had to have one. But, I never would have dropped that kind of bread. My wife on the other hand, spent if for me. I love the rifle, it shoots great, its made in America, and I have always wanted one. To me, its worth every penny and I would not have bought a Uberti. They are fine rifles, I just have a made in America kick. As a shooting, using rifle though, they are an old design with lots of problems. So, if you are looking for something to use for action packed, long range, shooting/hunting, there are better rifles to spend your money on. However, for the classic, fun to shoot, piece of art, they are worth it. Original Henry's are rare, old, and have made their spot in history, that is why they are worth so much. These new Henry's are none of those things, I don't think they will be collector's firearm in 100 years. I have no problem shooting mine and will use it as I see fit. I wouldn't spend the money on one, thinking that you are buying some collector dream that is only going to climb in value.

Offline Crow Choker

• Top Active Citizen
  • River Banker Extraordinaire
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 36
« Reply #21 on: March 17, 2015, 02:11:42 PM »
Major 2: Great review. From the several I've seen in the last month at area gun shows (North/Central Iowa), the quality is 'top shelf'. I think HRA has hit the bullseye in a copy of the original. There could be a few minor ones, but as with all their products, the quality is there and so is the customer service if need be. Price was around $1800. If I were in the hunt and real need for a Henry, I'd buy one. Of course, there will be the naysayers who will 'pick' at ever square inch of the rifle as they do with all of HRA rifles. I say to them, if you don't like it, go buy a Uberti. There are things about them that isn't exactly 'as the original' either. If they really want to bitch about HRA, an American company producing a product that can't be found anywhere, except the imported ones-go drain your savings account an buy an original, that'll satisfy their lust for a Henry that looks every bit a Henry.
Darksider-1911 Shooter-BOLD Chambers-RATS-SCORRS-STORM-1860 Henry(1866)-Colt Handgun Lover an' Fan-NRA-"RiverRat"-Conservative American Patriot and Former Keeper & Enforcer of the Law an' Proud of Being Both! >oo

Offline Major 2

• "Still running against the wind"
  • Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • NCOWS #: 3032
  • GAF #: 785
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 415
« Reply #22 on: March 17, 2015, 03:08:46 PM »
NCOWS legal

Winchester Models 1860, 1866, 1873, 1876, 1886, and 1892 manufactured by Armi San Marco,
Uberti, and others
Winchester ’94s if they retain the physical characteristics and appearance of 1894 models
manufactured prior to 1899, in approved cartridges.
when planets align...do the deal !

Advertising

« Reply #23 on: Today at 10:40:52 AM »

Offline Crow Choker

• Top Active Citizen
  • River Banker Extraordinaire
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 36
« Reply #23 on: March 17, 2015, 07:50:33 PM »
Major 2:
NCOWS legal

Winchester Models 1860, 1866, 1873, 1876, 1886, and 1892 manufactured by Armi San Marco,
Uberti, and others

I stand corrected.  Yours, Crow Choker
Darksider-1911 Shooter-BOLD Chambers-RATS-SCORRS-STORM-1860 Henry(1866)-Colt Handgun Lover an' Fan-NRA-"RiverRat"-Conservative American Patriot and Former Keeper & Enforcer of the Law an' Proud of Being Both! >oo

Offline Tuolumne Lawman

• CAS-L Ghost Rider
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Grass Valley, CA in the Sierra Nevada Mountains
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 46
« Reply #24 on: January 30, 2017, 04:34:22 PM »
Thanks, Roger.  Great review.  Fast forward to 2017, I have never seen an HRA 1860 Henry for sale at any price. 
TUOLUMNE LAWMAN
CO. F, 12th Illinois Cavalry  SASS # 6127 Life * Spencer Shooting Society #43 * Motherlode Shootist Society #1 * River City Regulators

Offline Major 2

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #25 on: January 30, 2017, 06:10:49 PM »
Thanks, Roger.  Great review.  Fast forward to 2017, I have never seen an HRA 1860 Henry for sale at any price. 

The Melbourne Florida, Bass Pro has sold a couple. But my Stocking Henry Dealer here, has not stocked one and has only received mine.
HRA is also offering an engraved model & and a Steel Frame....

Offline kwilliams1876

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #26 on: March 14, 2017, 12:00:49 PM »
having read all the previous comments and stored them away in my head, i had a chance check one out for my self this weekend. the gunshop was low on patrons so i ask to handle the one they had. it was the (iron)steel frame version. it took me less than 2 minutes to realize there was no "WOW" factor here for me. at $2100 it was totally lacking. i found the modern font choice for the barrel lettering distasteful, the rear sight staff was loose on the pivot pin when flipped up, the color case was a cheap cyanide job that had freckles, and lastly the choice of wood a poor one. also the butt stock seemed in need more wood removal around the comb as it had a club look and feel. just not seeing the 2x cost here over my iron uberti, really too bad as i am always willing to spend more for american.
for ref. check out the original iron frame that James Julia had on their site:

http://jamesdjulia.com/item/lot-1176-rare-iron-frame-henry-model-1860-lever-action-rifle-47622/

Offline Blackpowder Burn

• Top Active Citizen
  • Smoke & Lightning
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 5
« Reply #27 on: March 14, 2017, 11:37:19 PM »
I just bought a brass frame 1860 Henry a few weeks ago.  It has the most gorgeous polish and bluing I've seen in many, many years.  It looks much like the old Colt Royal Blue.  The brass is extremely well machined and with a mirror polish.  The wood on the buttstock is outstanding - it would be fancy or extra fancy with most gun makers.  In short, it's the prettiest rifle I've ever owned.

I've put a few dozen rounds through it and easily hit targets offhand at 100 yards with it, and the action is extremely smooth right from the box.  I'm looking forward to shooting my first CAS match with it this weekend.  If it continues to perform half as good as it looks, then the price will be well worth the extra when compared to a Uberti. They're not even in the same zip code as far as aesthetics - not to mention being American made.
SUBLYME AND HOLY ORDER OF THE SOOT
Learned Brother at Armes

Offline Major 2

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #28 on: March 15, 2017, 05:35:41 AM »
Every person is entitled to his personal preferences and tastes.

Offline Cliff Fendley

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 360
« Reply #29 on: March 15, 2017, 10:03:35 AM »
My LGS has sold a few and there was even one at the local Cabelas last time I was there. The problem is the recent ones I've seen look horrible because they are terribly over buffed. All the sharp edges on the octagon barrel are rounded.
http://www.fendleyknives.com/

NCOWS 3345  RATS 576 NRA Life member

Johnson County Rangers

Offline Major 2

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #30 on: March 15, 2017, 10:28:34 AM »
The Melbourne Bass Pro has sold a few ... $1795.   not the MSRP of $2100 

The three I've seen there  were fine ...no over polish .... they had an engraved one too,  it's gone , don't know the $

I own 4  , three Uberti's & the one HRA ...  Frankly,  I could care less if Luigi in Gardone' or Antonio in New Jersey builds them....

I like them all , they are all mine and all shoot just fine

Offline OD#3

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 2
« Reply #31 on: April 01, 2017, 12:19:21 AM »
kwilliams1876, your criticisms are valid.  Curiosity was just getting the best of me, and I broke down and ordered one--a brass-framed one.  Prices seemed to have fallen enough below MSRP on these now that more of us are taking the plunge--they still cost more than Uberti, but only a few hundred dollars more instead of twice the price like they used to be.  I'll post some pics on another post very soon and perhaps upload a little something on my youtube channel as well.  But my first impressions are that it is indeed overbuffed--especially on the barrel flats.  This is annoying and only partly offset by the resultant beauty of the bluing.  As another noted, it is almost like Colt's royal blue in quality. 

I don't think some of the receiver contours are quite as authentically-executed as the Uberti guns--at least not on my example.  But the polish job was pretty well done here, and it isn't as wavy as I feared.  They actually did a pretty good job on keeping the flats flat on the receiver.

Yes, the barrel font isn't "period", but it doesn't bother me.  The rear sight, however, IS poorly sprung and wobbles considerably when elevated.  It either needs to have closer tolerances in its mount side-to-side or utilize a stronger detent spring.  I think either would settle it down considerably.

The fella at my LGS who received the rifle was impressed with how smooth the action was.  Although smoother out-of-the-box than my last Uberti, it needs work.  Coffinmaker, you may be glad to know that I'm going to strip this one down and give you some good pics of the innards.  In other words, I'm going to do for you what I've been hoping in vain someone else would do for me.  I know it sounds like poor money management, but it was un-satiated curiosity that most prompted me to fork over the dough and buy this thing; there just isn't enough good info on the internet, and most reviews only include a few pics without going into enough detail about how they're put together.   

I have to say, this has the nicest wood I've ever owned on a firearm.  That, and the lustrous blue is probably going to make me forego my original plans to let the brass tarnish.  I don't think the rifle will look right with a mustard-colored receiver. 

Sorry I have no pics tonight.  I burned my hand heat-treating a small part on another rifle tonight.  I was just going to knock out that small chore before reviewing the Henry in earnest, but the burn was bad enough to curtail any serious disassembly stuff tonight.  More later.....

Offline kwilliams1876

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #32 on: May 29, 2017, 08:37:28 AM »
was strolling past the gun counter in the Billings Cabelas yesterday, noticed a brass frame in the rack. i asked to handle it, as it's being passed to me the first thing that jumps out to the eye is the front sight is in stalled backwards!  yikes, further review again reveals a wobbly rear sight and hugely over buffed barrel with all the flats rounded off and then there is the bulbous stock.  this is the 3rd one i have had a chance to handle, and as i noted in a prior post, there is no "wow factor" here for me. sure seems to me the the Qa/Qc department at HRA must be asleep. i would never have the courage to order one sight unseen. as far as American made Mfg. goes, they could take some lessons from C. Sharps or Shiloh.
kw

Offline OD#3

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 2
« Reply #33 on: May 29, 2017, 10:37:36 PM »
I hope to post a video this week on my first outing with the HRA 1860.  In the meantime, I have to say that I was very favorably impressed.  Despite the "wobbly" rear sight, accuracy was not affected.  I was regularly ringing the gong at 270 yards with a mild smokeless load that was only producing about 950 fps. out of the rifle--and this was without adjusting windage at all!   HRA certainly knows how to make a good barrel!  This rifle was a real pleasure to shoot, and it is fast becoming a favorite--overbuffing notwithstanding.  I have absolutely no regrets about shelling out a few hundred dollars more for this one than a comparable Uberti.  In my Youtube video, I was obviously a little dismayed at finding MIM parts on the inside, but that doesn't matter anymore.  This rifle can shoot, and it looks good doing it. 

Offline Rooster Ron Wayne

• Rooster
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Lube your Balls & Cap your Nipples ~ Just Sayin !
  • SASS #: 86029
  • Liked:
« Reply #34 on: December 08, 2017, 07:42:41 PM »
I have handled three of them.
I think they are  OK .

Its great that HRA made them and that they are Made in America .

But to be Honest ,
I dont think they are worth that much money .
Im very fond of My Old Used Uberti 44/40

Rooster
Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you:
1. Jesus Christ
2. The American G. I.
One died for your soul, the other for your freedom."

Offline Major 2

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #35 on: December 09, 2017, 04:01:34 AM »
I've owned one for 4 years and 3 Uberti's ,  one for 18 years and another 10 years ....an another one I had bought in1 980, that I sadly sold.

It is great that HRA made makes them and that they are Made in America .

I too am fond of my Uberti's  , I'm just as fond of the HRA and value it , it's worth is in owning one.

It's a good thing there are choices.....  Uberti , Pietta  own the market in Replica's of SSA as an example ....

much to the dismay of USFA , Standard and yes !  even Colt..."worth that much money " ?      you ask ?

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com