Author Topic: A poll on .44 Colt box labels"  (Read 2896 times)

Offline Tuolumne Lawman

• CAS-L Ghost Rider
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Grass Valley, CA in the Sierra Nevada Mountains
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 46
A poll on .44 Colt box labels"
« on: October 07, 2019, 03:46:40 PM »
Taking a pole of the three labels.  Which do you like the best.  I'm not saying my choice yet.

1) Created by me based on an original 12 cartridge pack label

2)  Original Winchester .44 Colt label

3)  Original US Cartridge Corporation box label

TUOLUMNE LAWMAN
CO. F, 12th Illinois Cavalry  SASS # 6127 Life * Spencer Shooting Society #43 * Motherlode Shootist Society #1 * River City Regulators

Offline Coal Creek Griff

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 634
Re: A poll on .44 Colt box labels"
« Reply #1 on: October 07, 2019, 03:54:32 PM »
Well, I personally like #3.  The picture of "Colt's New" revolver, the phrase "Central Fire", the spelling of "calibre" all add up to the essence of cool.

CC Griff
Manager, WT Ranch--Coal Creek Division

BOLD #921
BOSS #196
1860 Henry Rifle Shooter #173
SSS #573

Offline The Pathfinder

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 7
« Reply #2 on: October 07, 2019, 04:10:18 PM »
Can we vote for all three? ;D I like no. 1, but I am an old GI.

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 04:32:18 AM »

Offline Black River Smith

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 36
« Reply #3 on: October 07, 2019, 05:11:14 PM »
I based mine, back in the late 90's, off of #2.  Used basically the same one as you listed.  I did that one because it was going into a Remington and then later for the '72 Open Top, if I deemed necessary.

Now if it was to be used in or strictly for the Richards then I would go with #3.  Really like that label and they kept the same general pattern for the SAA 45 boxes.

But for me, now, I just don't feel the need to do all the work to create #3 even though I have the Richards II in 44Spec and will only shoot 44Colts in it.  No-one but me would appreciate or see that work or effort, since I don't shoot competition any longer.

So my vote is #2 since I believe you are putting them in your 'new' '72's.

BRS
Black River Smith

Offline Tuolumne Lawman

• CAS-L Ghost Rider
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: October 07, 2019, 05:22:39 PM »
I have been using No. 3 for several years:

I paste the JPEG into a word doc, and size to the Cheyenne Cartridge box.  on a 45 box, its 4.75" x 2.5".  On a 44. Russian box, about 4.5" x 2.25".  I put three on a page, print on a color printer, then cut out.  I put a thin layer of rubber cement on the box and the label, and let dry.  Then I stick it on.  It can be removed later if you want to change style.
TUOLUMNE LAWMAN
CO. F, 12th Illinois Cavalry  SASS # 6127 Life * Spencer Shooting Society #43 * Motherlode Shootist Society #1 * River City Regulators

Offline Coffinmaker

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 125
« Reply #5 on: October 07, 2019, 08:41:16 PM »

# Three.

Offline Smokey Dave

• STORM #445
  • Top Active Citizen
  • SASS #: 107837
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 71
« Reply #6 on: October 08, 2019, 06:35:56 PM »
I like #1. It reminds me of a Colt Paper Cartridge box. It also has the cartridge info on it, like the powder charge and bullet weight.
"Don't believe everything you read on the internet."
-Abe Lincoln

Offline Tuolumne Lawman

• CAS-L Ghost Rider
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: October 08, 2019, 06:46:56 PM »
I like #1. It reminds me of a Colt Paper Cartridge box. It also has the cartridge info on it, like the powder charge and bullet weight.

That is a copy of an original 12 cartridge packet.  I merely changed it to "50" from "12" cartridges and made a box label. I found it in McDowell's book.  I used it when I was shooting a Richards and a 1858 conversion.

30 grains of powder and a 225 grain, .451" diameter bullet would have made it more of a thumper than the .45 Schofield with 27-28 grains.  The Army eventually downloaded their 45 Colt to 30 grains of powder and a 255 grain, and civilian loads were dialed back to 35 grains.
TUOLUMNE LAWMAN

Offline Crow Choker

• Top Active Citizen
  • River Banker Extraordinaire
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 36
« Reply #8 on: October 08, 2019, 10:42:40 PM »
I like all three of them, #2 has a distinct 'ol' timey look to it, something you'd maybe find while rummaging around in the house of a long passed old bachelor that was rumoured to have been a shooter in bygone years, but I'll cast my vote for #3. Something about it that makes ya wanna dig out the guns and ammo and go shootin. Or at least head for the loadin bench.  ;D
Darksider-1911 Shooter-BOLD Chambers-RATS-SCORRS-STORM-1860 Henry(1866)-Colt Handgun Lover an' Fan-NRA-"RiverRat"-Conservative American Patriot and Former Keeper & Enforcer of the Law an' Proud of Being Both! >oo

Offline Isom

• Deputy Marshal
  • Very Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
« Reply #9 on: October 09, 2019, 12:48:14 PM »
#3's my favorite .

Offline Tuolumne Lawman

• CAS-L Ghost Rider
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #10 on: October 25, 2019, 06:27:20 PM »
Well I went with number one. It Fits the Cheyenne Pioneer 44 Russian box perfectly.  I like that it says "44 for Colts and Remington", It doesn't say .44 Colt. It won't matter if a fill it with 44 Colt or Russian. 

BTW. I read somewhere that Frankfort Armory tried making a single Martin type cartridge for issue to units that had Russian, Colt, or Remington revolvers. The rim was small like the 44 Colt, the case was 44 Russian/Colt diameter and the bullet was tight for a Russian and loose for a Colt/Remington. It was like a small rimmed 44 Russian with a hollow base or oversized heeled bullet. 

Actually a short .44 Colt case loaded with a soft lead hollow base bullet would work in both!  They did hollow base with the .38 long Colt and .41 Colt.
TUOLUMNE LAWMAN

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com