Author Topic: When Mounties wore U.S. uniforms.  (Read 3650 times)

Offline Buffalo Creek Law Dog

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 4
When Mounties wore U.S. uniforms.
« on: March 10, 2008, 10:51:46 AM »
The reason for these snippets is to show that the Canadian West was not boring or bland as most people believe.  We didn't have Hollywood nor the dime novels to perpetuate and enhance our old west history as in the U.S.  Our old west was far from being bland or boring as these short stories will show.

A little background to this story.  When the NWMPolice made that famous march west in 1874 from Fort Dufferin, Manitoba to what is now southern Alberta, it took approximately three months.  Their uniforms were wore out along with their horses and they couldn't find Fort Whoop-Up which was their destination.  Some of the men had rags tied around their boots to keep the uppers connected to the soles.  They were a sorry looking bunch.

The Commissioner and a small party headed out for Fort Benton (Montana).  Benton had a telegraph so the Mounted Police could wire Ottawa that they arrived and needed supplies, money and new uniforms. While at Benton they purchased supplies and clothing and also aquired some U.S. Army uniforms to tide them over until replacement Mounted Police uniforms arrived in the spring of 1875.

In 1875, Inspector James M. Walsh (who prefered to be called "Major"), and  a troop of NWMP left Fort MacLeod to establish a fort in the Cypress Hills.  The new replacement uniforms were packed away in the wagons and the troop wore whatever they had, including the U.S. Army uniforms.

Unlike Inspector Brisbois, who established Fort Calgary, Walsh was allowed to name this new fort after himself.  The site chosen for the new Fort Walsh was about two miles north of the 1873 Cypress Hills massacre.

A few days into the building of the fort, over a hundred Sioux approched them from the south.  Walsh asked Jerry Potts who they were and he replied "Sioux".  As the Sioux rode up, one was wearing white man's clothes who turned out to be a Metis and spoke english.

Walsh asked him who they were and what they wanted.  The Metis replied that they were chased across the border by the long-knives, who you?    "Red Coats of the great British Mother," Walsh replied pointing to the Union Jack on a make shift flag pole.  Just then the Sioux noticed some of the Mounties were wearing U.S. Army blue.

The next thing was walsh and his men were staring into Sioux rifle barrels.  The Metis said that Walsh lied and, that they were long-knives.  "We're not long-knives!" Walsh hurled back at him. "We're the British Mother's redcoats!"   

Walsh realized that they were in a dangerous situation as none of the Mounties were armed.  Their guns were stored over in the tent area.

Just when all Hell was about to break loose, the Sioux started pointing a something that was behind Walsh.  Streaming through the trees covering the slopes to the north east rode hundreds of Indians.  The Sioux turned and fled back down the valley from wence they came.  Walsh asked Jerry Potts (Guide and interprter) what was going on. Potts said "Cree."  The Cree and Sioux were mortal enemies.

The Cree did not catch up to the Sioux but returned to Walsh's location.  The Cree had traded with the Hudson Bay Company for many years and knew the Union Jack and what it stood for.  Walsh invited the Cree chiefs for tea and a smoke.

Had it not been for the sheer coincidence and timing of the Cree arrival, no doubt that there would have been another Cypress Hills massacre.   

next:  Indians decide to stop the CPR from advancing west.                 
SASS 66621
BOLD 678
AFS 43
NFA
ABPA

Offline Charlie Bowdre

• PISTOLARO .
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Charlie Bowdre
  • SASS #: 87747
  • GAF #: 502
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 5
Re: When Mounties wore U.S. uniforms.
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2008, 11:44:44 AM »
BLD

Great stories , keep em coming. There are lots of great tales to be told.
Are you or were you a RM? What troop?

Dutchie.
"I'm too old to go soldiering any more , too stiff in the joints to ride point and too dam fat to wrestle drunks Any day they don't pat you on the face with a shovel is a good one"

BOLD 887 
Bvt.Major  Chaplain  GAF  502 
STORM 271 
SASS 87747
CHINOOK COUNTRY

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2008, 01:18:50 PM »
 I was not in the RCMP as I was Military Police however, I have for several years studied the NWMPolice history up to early 1900s.  Every summer I go on what I call my history trip.  I take the trailer and head out for four or five days and visit the historical sites.  Last year I went to Battleford, Fort Carlton, Duck Lake massacre and Batoche.  The year before I went to Fort Macleod and Fort Whoop-Up (Whoop-Up is about 5 miles north of its original site).  Made a side trip to Fort Steele in BC.

Been to Fort Walsh several times including Fort Steele.  During the '90s I made several trips to the Little Big Horn.  One year my son and I followed the "Custer Trail" from Fort A. Lincoln to LBH.

This year I'm taking my wife to the Cypress Hills for a camping trip and you guessed it...Fort Walsh again.

Being retired I have the time to live out old west history and cowboy action shooting.

Cheers Dutchie
SASS 66621
BOLD 678
AFS 43
NFA
ABPA

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 10:06:41 AM »

Offline Charlie Bowdre

• PISTOLARO .
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Charlie Bowdre
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: March 10, 2008, 02:01:46 PM »
Sounds great , I spent my time at Depot' .  Had the usual historical sessions ::) ::)
Now retired. Never served out West,  all here in the colonies...u ever East?

Have part of my pension plan in Calgary , try and visit him once a year . Love the West  and we did a bit of snooping around Fort MacLeod and Fort Calgary. Would like to see up around Swan River , those old barracks were something else .

The pic in my avatar is my wifes Grandfather , his Reg Number was 9060 ,he  served in Southern Alberta and down towards the Crowsnest around the 1910-1914 times. A great old guy , his stories even if only half were true were amazing.

Been watching "The Englishman's Boy" on the teley the past week , which is regarding the Cypress Hills mass.
. Not a bad production for the CBC.
Appreciate the information you are posting , I am putting together something for Post re the Eastern version of the Pony Express . Hope to have it soon.

Take care and thanks again.
Dutchie
"I'm too old to go soldiering any more , too stiff in the joints to ride point and too dam fat to wrestle drunks Any day they don't pat you on the face with a shovel is a good one"

BOLD 887 
STORM 271 
SASS 87747
CHINOOK COUNTRY

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: March 10, 2008, 03:58:13 PM »
Dutchie.  Other than 5 years stationed at Moose Jaw all my service time was in the east. Nine years in Ontario (North Bay, Ottawa, Borden), three in Quebec  (Senneterre and Val d 'Or) and three in Nova Scotia (Cornwallis).  I have 4 1/2 years Militia time all served in Alberta.

I missed Englishman's Boy, hope it comes out on DVD.  The main reason I missed it is that I try not to watch CBC as it has a tendency to raise this redneck's blood pressure ;D

Cheers!
SASS 66621
BOLD 678
AFS 43
NFA
ABPA

Offline Charlie Bowdre

• PISTOLARO .
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Charlie Bowdre
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: March 10, 2008, 04:08:42 PM »
not to hijack your thread .. I sent ya a PM.
D.

BOLD 887 
STORM 271 
SASS 87747
CHINOOK COUNTRY

Offline Nine Toe Jim

• Top Active Citizen
  • SASS 678, SAWWS, WARTHOG, GOFWG, GAF
    • ninetoejim
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #6 on: March 15, 2008, 07:10:47 AM »
Hey There BCLD

Great stories. I did a lot of reading on the NWMP a number of years ago when I was researching the uniforms.
I managed to put one together and wore it for quite a few years.

I've since started to read up on the Yukon Field Force and develop a Captain's uniform. The YFF had a brief but interesting history.

There is a lot of good Canadian Old West history out there if you dig hard enough.

Once again, keep up the stories.

NTJ

Old Age and Treachery Will Overcome Youth and Skill
WARTHOG, SASS 678, GOFWG, GAF, Quigley Shooter

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com