Author Topic: Thinking of getting Big Lube mold  (Read 1519 times)

Offline Coffinmaker

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 125
Re: Thinking of getting Big Lube mold
« Reply #20 on: April 07, 2024, 09:36:58 AM »

:) Ha!!  If memory serves (fat chance), I was loading 20 - 22Gr 2F APP, topped off with Breakfast Food (Cream-0-Wheat). 

The primary Fun Factor was shooting Frontiersman with an H&R Handi Rifle.  With that little light bullet, recoil was mostly absent.  Almost had to check to be sure it went off.  Crazy accurate which amazed me enough to keep shooting 'em.  Sometimes just piddling around leads to some real amazing FUN!!

Offline Professor Marvel

• purveyor of useless items to the gentry
  • Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • learn from the past, or be doomed to repeat it
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1160
« Reply #21 on: April 08, 2024, 01:42:12 AM »
My Good Mako

That accurate repop of the Snake Bite Grease Wagon, ~160 gr of soft lead is the object of my desire!

I am interested in such a heavy for caliber .36 ( ie .375) that would work to replicate some of the heavy  European .36’s
Which may or may not have actually been used in British percussion revolver of that ilk….
I will just have to see how mush powder I can get under it, and how much I may need to ream the chambers.

I also have, and am experimenting with, a two cavity version of the Lee C358-200-RF (actually a rifle mold) with which
I am trying to replicate the British .38-200 and the U.S. 200 gr police load for .38 spcl.

I have the Lee 375-130-1R Double Cavity Mold, which serves my purposes for a “correctish” .36 colt navy clone,
As well as a light weight hysterically close ( ie almost historic… ) for a .38 Long Colt , AND as a light weight plinker
(Sized down) for .38 spcl.
Your Humble Servant
~~~~~Professor Algernon Horatio Ubiquitous Marvel The First~~~~~~
President, CEO, Chairman,  and Chief Bottle Washer of

Professor Marvel's
Traveling Apothecary
and
Fortune Telling Emporium

Acclaimed By The Crowned Heads of Europe
Purveyor of Patent Remedies, Snake Oil, Powder, Percussion Caps, Cleaning Supplies, Dry Goods,
and
Picture Postcards

Offering Unwanted Advice for All Occasions
and
Providing Useless Items to the Gentry
Since 1822
[
Available by Appointment for Lectures on Any Topic

Offline Mako

• Shooter of the "holy Black", Frontier Gunfighter #1, STORM, Henry 1860
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Cowboying since the Mid-20th Century
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 8
« Reply #22 on: April 08, 2024, 09:34:35 AM »
Perfesser,
Are you planning on using that Grease wagon in a percussion revolver?

If so the main problem is that it is only Ø.358 in diameter, you're going to need a Ø.375 to Ø.380 to use it as a traditionally inserted bullet.  I guess you could patch it.

I know the average volumes of my Uberti Navy chambers and with a bullet the length of the grease wagon with 1/16" compression and 1/16" below the cylinder face (notice those two cancel each other out).  You will get 0.72ccs to 0.75ccs of powder space.  Lee Does have a 0.7cc dipper that they say will dip 11.1gr of FFFg, So I would say you could get 11.5gr under that length bullet.  With a different Nose profile we can get you more powder.

Another problem is that the bullet is so long it won't even fit in the loading clearance on my 1861 Navy models. The bullet is not a heeled bullet with that rebated section (which also makes it almost impossible to start).  That is the problem I have with the traditional pointed conical bullets, they are hard to start.

Now, if you wanted a 160gr Heeled bullet with an ogive like the 38-135C I can draw it up for you (for a cheeseburger...) and you can send it to Tom at Accurate.  He makes all of his molds from CNC programs and each can be unique.  In fact when I get a .45 PRS replacement mold I'm going to get it as a 4 cavity and have two of them be a 250gr .45 and the other two the EPP-UG .45 style for my Cap guns.  I won't shoot very many of either and I'll just cast the both at the same time.  He will do that for anyone.

But, seriously I know you reported you have the 250gr .45 PRS and the 2oo gr version. and will trade you a design you can send Tom for some dimensions.  (I was going through all of the boxes we still have stored in my 32 x 60 building and I can't find the few PRS .45 bullets i have squirreled away somewhere).  I'll attach a drawing with dimensions I need and if you have a caliper that would be close enough measurements since I have to massage them a bit anyway.

In fact if you wanted a Grease Wagon, you could also have your 160gr (or more if you wanted it) on the same mold.  He might do a 4 of one and then the other on a 5 cavity, I've never asked.

~Mako

A brace of 1860s, a Yellowboy Saddle Rifle and a '78 Pattern Colt Scattergun
MCA, MCIA, MOAA, MCL, SMAS, ASME, SAME, BMES

Advertising

« Reply #23 on: Today at 01:11:31 PM »

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com