Author Topic: Going back into molding my own bullets  (Read 697 times)

Offline Boone May

• CAS-L Ghost Rider
  • Very Active Citizen
  • SASS #: 5904
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 3
Going back into molding my own bullets
« on: September 01, 2022, 03:21:07 PM »
Greetings pards,
I usually hang around the Winchester 1876 forum but thought I would check in here.  After many years of buying my lead bullets from Buffalo Arms and others I have decided to get back into molding my own.  Years ago I did it, but then decided I could get all the bullets I wanted from commercial sites.  I even gave away my RCBS bottom pour furnace.
Well, the days of finding reloading components (including lead bullets for the obsolete caliber guns) are gone.   I have been frustrated by the lack of available commercial bullets for my old Winchester rifles. 
I still have molds for my favorite old west cartridges.  So I ordered a new RCBS Pro Melt furnace.  Looking forward to getting back into molding my own. 
How do you folks divvy up your lead and tin to get a 20 to 1 ratio?  That seems to be the secret sauce for loading black powder cartridges for obsolete guns like the Winchester model 1876 in .45-75
"There are a few things they didn't tell me when I hired on with this outfit."

Offline Froogal

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • NCOWS #: 3882
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 584
Re: Going back into molding my own bullets
« Reply #1 on: September 01, 2022, 03:28:07 PM »
I just buy the 20-1 lead ingots from Roto-Metals.

Offline mtmarfield

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1664
« Reply #2 on: September 01, 2022, 10:48:35 PM »
     Greetings!

If your range / shooting area allows, dig that lead out of the embankment. I'll separate out the very hard "Cowboy Action" bullets from the soft / swaged and jacketed bullets; when I fire up the pot, I'll add the harder bullets to the softer melt a small handful at a time. I like my bullets to be between 13BHN to 15BHN or so for the average CAS handgun and rifle cartridges.
   Sorry, I can't be more specific about my lead / tin / antimony ratios; I use my LBT Hardness Tester to give me an idea of where my bullets are. I believe that most factory CAS Ammo is loaded with bullets that are FAR HARDER than they need to be; so, when I dig them up, I use them to harden my melt. Have Fun!

M.T.M.

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 01:20:55 PM »

Offline Little Dalton

• Top Active Citizen
  • -ad regem-
    • Axe & Anvil
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 76
« Reply #3 on: September 06, 2022, 05:53:38 AM »
Good on ya and have fun! It's worth noting that straight wheel weight lead is near identical to a 20:1 alloy in hardness. Rather handy. I still get gobs of wheelweights from small town shops for cheap, just gotta separate the zinc and iron weights out.
Jordan Goodwin, Blacksmith

Online Slamfire

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 58
« Reply #4 on: September 06, 2022, 04:02:15 PM »
 Been casting my own for a while but have been powder coating as of late for my 40-60 Chappie & my 44-40, barrels stay super clean, but shoots the same as lubed bullets, think i'll stay with it for now. 8)

coffee's ready,  Hootmix.

Offline Drydock

• MA1 USN ret. GAF #19, Colonel, Chief of Staff. BC, CC, SoM. SASS 1248 Life
  • American Plainsmen Society
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 18
« Reply #5 on: September 06, 2022, 04:17:04 PM »
 Rotometals.  40 lbs of 20-1 gets free shipping.  My 50-70s go through a lot of lead.
Civilize them with a Krag . . .

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com