Author Topic: 1876 Winchester 26 " 40-60 WCF  (Read 3991 times)

Offline matt45

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 11
Re: 1876 Winchester 26 " 40-60 WCF
« Reply #20 on: September 22, 2022, 09:14:18 AM »
Has anyone else noticed that a whole lot of weapons from the late frontier era to the 1950s were not cleaned well? 

Offline dusty texian

• Chief Scout Wehmeyer Ranch's.
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Dusty Texian
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 107
« Reply #21 on: September 22, 2022, 12:10:08 PM »
Hey Boone, shoot some (about 40-50rds.) PC (powder coated) bullets thru her, might be surprizzzzed.

Be having coffee & wait on your reply. ;D
         Have not tried the Powder Coated bullets , but have used Copper Jacketed bullets in two different 45-60 wcf rifles that showed a noticeable improvement in bore condition after shooting the Jacketed bullets . They both shoot the CJB really good .,,,,DT

Offline DrummerBoy

• Very Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 106
« Reply #22 on: December 27, 2022, 09:45:42 AM »
Howdy Dusty, Christmas Time Greetings to All!
This is my first post!
I had my fill of little hi-speed zippers during my USMC career, so here I am! I got a couple of Uberti carbines but what I really want is a “real” 40-60. I’ve probably memorized those on the Metz website!
Thanks so much for all the invaluable information!
Semper Fi,
Fred
PS I was an arty guy, so I do love trajectory!

Advertising

« Reply #23 on: Today at 04:42:50 AM »

Offline Boone May

• CAS-L Ghost Rider
  • Very Active Citizen
  • SASS #: 5904
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 3
« Reply #23 on: December 27, 2022, 10:17:37 AM »
DrummerBoy,
Welcome to the fire.  In my opinion, it's worth the money to buy the best rifle your wallet can afford.  If you can get one that is complete, working and doesn't need any replacement parts, that is best.  Parts are expensive and hard to find.  I also prefer rifles that don't show any plier or vice marks on the barrel or receiver.  That's a sure sign the barrel has been removed. 
I also really like special sights and set triggers.  The Model 1876 got a set trigger more than any of the other early levers.
Enjoy the hunt!  Model 1876 rifles in .40-60 are not common but they are out there.  In addition to Merz, Collector's Firearms usually has a few 1876's in stock.
Your mileage may vary.
"There are a few things they didn't tell me when I hired on with this outfit."

Offline dusty texian

• Chief Scout Wehmeyer Ranch's.
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Dusty Texian
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 107
« Reply #24 on: December 30, 2022, 02:49:45 AM »
Howdy Dusty, Christmas Time Greetings to All!
This is my first post!
I had my fill of little hi-speed zippers during my USMC career, so here I am! I got a couple of Uberti carbines but what I really want is a “real” 40-60. I’ve probably memorized those on the Metz website!
Thanks so much for all the invaluable information!
Semper Fi,
Fred
PS I was an arty guy, so I do love trajectory!
                                                                                                                              Welcome  DrummerBoy  and Happy Holidays to you and yours also .  Shopping for a real 40-60 is half the fun . Keep looking , when the right one comes along grab it ! Good luck with your search and again welcome to the camp , some good and helpful  folks   here .,,,,,DT                                                                                                                                                                                                       

Offline Niederlander

• American Plainsmen Society
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 6
« Reply #25 on: December 30, 2022, 05:24:21 AM »
Has anyone else noticed that a whole lot of weapons from the late frontier era to the 1950s were not cleaned well?
I think it was most likely later owners (kids, grand kids, etc.) who shot the old family rifle and then didn't clean it that destroyed those bores.  I know of a local M1 that very thing happened with.  Grandpa has somehow managed to sneak it home from World War 2, and the kids took it out one day and shot up old ammunition and put it back in the closet.  Needed a new barrel after that.
"There go those Nebraskans, and all hell couldn't stop them!"

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com