Author Topic: Can I Run this by the more Knowing ?  (Read 34541 times)

Offline Major 2

• "Still running against the wind"
  • Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • NCOWS #: 3032
  • GAF #: 785
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 428
Re: Can I Run this by the more Knowing ?
« Reply #60 on: March 04, 2012, 01:51:25 PM »
Dang TL thanks for the link !  

w44wcf ... I spent some quality time on the bench today ...nothing speedy ....cleaned & sorted yesterdays brass.....
clean the guns.... saw needs for more shelving....

( BTW ...here is  :o a shock I got all my brass back, every round !  but whats shocking that's twice in row thats happened )
pays to shoot the odd duck caliber 44 Colt when everybody is either 44/40 or 45 Colt and some 38 cal. folks.  
when planets align...do the deal !

Offline Tuolumne Lawman

• CAS-L Ghost Rider
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Grass Valley, CA in the Sierra Nevada Mountains
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 46
« Reply #61 on: March 04, 2012, 05:03:45 PM »
I LOVE my LEE!  People look down o LEE presses, for some uneducated reason.  I call it my poor man's progressive, but the turret moves with each pull of the handle, instead of the shell moving.  I can easily do 150 rounds an hour of .44-40.  I have actually done a little over 200 in an hour when I was in my stride and loading smokeless all the time.  I use the LEE 44-40 dies: sizing/de-capper, powder thru expander, bullet seat/roll crimp (though I do not use roll crimp on 44-40) and finally LEE factory crimp die.  If you get the turret press with auto index, TAKE A MINUTE and follow the "index adjustment instructions."  even on 44-40, I doubt if I crush one case in 600 or 700 rounds.  I have their auto disk powder drop, and with ball powder like 231 or 2400, it throws within .02 grain weight. (ie: 6.60 + or - .02 grain). 

I have loaded tens of thousands of rounds in the following calibers with the LEE turret press through the last 18 years:
9mm, 45 ACP, 10mm, .38/357, .44 Mag. .44 special, .44 Colt, .45 Schofield, .45 Colt, 38-40, 44-40, 30-30, 45-70, 45-120 (no auto index), 56-56, 56-50, .30 carbine, .223, 7.62x39, and a few others. 
TUOLUMNE LAWMAN
CO. F, 12th Illinois Cavalry  SASS # 6127 Life * Spencer Shooting Society #43 * Motherlode Shootist Society #1 * River City Regulators

Offline Curley Cole

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #62 on: March 04, 2012, 07:33:51 PM »

Howdy
I have been reloadin since about 1970. been usin the turret in the pix since 1978, LoadAll at least last 5 years. On that turret I load 380, 9mm, 38/357/ 45lc and 45acp.

First off you need to get Modern Reloading and read it

I helped a pard get ready to load 38/357 and got going for around $200 including his first "useables" (powder, bollits, primers) but you can always shop around for stuff. Check out Midway for sales. Also check out Lees website for clearance items.

I use several powders ie Bullseye (9mm 38sp) Clays 12ga and Unique for 45lc but that is cuz I am an oldtymer and like what I set up years ago, but starting out try to reduce your kinds of powder. Old Top uses Clays for almost everything he shoots.
If I can be of any help give a holler.

(you too WWE...)

good ahootin
curley
Scars are tatoos with better stories.
The Cowboys
Silver Queen Mine Regulators
dammit gang

Advertising

« Reply #63 on: Today at 08:30:32 PM »

Offline Tuolumne Lawman

• CAS-L Ghost Rider
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #63 on: March 15, 2012, 05:36:11 PM »
Roger, just loaded about 400 rounds of 44-40 with the LEE 4 hole turret press with auto index.  Not a single crushed case.
TUOLUMNE LAWMAN
CO. F, 12th Illinois Cavalry  SASS # 6127 Life * Spencer Shooting Society #43 * Motherlode Shootist Society #1 * River City Regulators

Offline Wayne the Shrink

• Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #64 on: March 25, 2012, 01:38:23 PM »
First, if you are loading heeled bullets you need to know about Old West Bullet Molds.  Bernie cuts heeled molds for the old calibers.  You are starting on a graduate level of reloading, you know, starting with heeled bullets and BP. 

Do NOT get the Lee scale, it's not worth it.  Some like the Lee powder measure, some call theirs the Lee powder spreader.  The Lyman 55 is a good choice and are available regularly on eBay.  Lyman and RCBS both have good scales, as are the old Readding scales.

If you are going to start casting, and that is probable unless you are lucky enough to know someone who already does, you need to visit and probably join www.Castboolits.gunloads.com - read stickies and you will find most of what you need to know about casting your own. 

Wayne the Shrink

Offline Cliff Fendley

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 363
« Reply #65 on: March 25, 2012, 03:59:56 PM »
Roger,

I have used  a LEE 4 hole turret press with auto index for 18 years (was 3 hole but converted it to a 4 hole).  I can do 150+ pistol rounds a minute withe auto-powder dump in the LEE die set, and use LEE factory crimp die in forth hole.  VERY economical.   I manually set primer and bullet, and don't have any problems.  I have different turrets for different calibers: 30-30, .44 Mag, .38 S&W (pocket).

Midway USA has a great buy on them.  $214 for everything including auto dump powder hopper, and scale!
http://www.midwayusa.com/product/785993/lee-4-hole-turret-press-with-auto-index-deluxe-kit

Over two rounds a second huh? I can't shoot them that fast. ;D

When the lad and I team up we have done 6 hundred an hour but that is one every 6 seconds and I usually prefer to rest my arm before that.

http://www.fendleyknives.com/

NCOWS 3345  RATS 576 NRA Life member

Johnson County Rangers

Offline Tuolumne Lawman

• CAS-L Ghost Rider
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #66 on: March 25, 2012, 08:40:57 PM »
OOOOOOPPPPPPS!  I meant 150 to 200 rounds an HOUR!  Danged Old Timers...
TUOLUMNE LAWMAN

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com