Author Topic: Camping accessory reviews  (Read 175296 times)

Offline Delmonico

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
Re: Camping accessory reviews
« Reply #80 on: July 23, 2008, 05:42:12 PM »
Arcey, was that a cold drink?  Gopher Grease taught us to never drink those cold, reason why we always drink them tepid.  That's the way they taught him to do it when he trained at 29 Palms.  Folks sometimes think I'm nuts, but if they give me a cold one on a hot day, I'll put it in the sun to warm a bit.

Have never had the problems others have had with them, I can tell when the electolites start to drop and it only takes a few minutes to fell better when I drink that thick syrupy stuff the way he taught me.  I do loose a lot of water and electolites when it's hot and working around a fire.

Wish I would have known that one years ago, used to blow the tops out of thermometors in paint booths sometimes in the summer. :o
Mongrel Historian

Always get the water for the coffee upstream from the herd.

Ab Ovo Usque ad Mala

The time has passed so quick, the years all run together now.

Offline Texas Lawdog

• NCOWS Senator "Old School" Cop
  • Top Active Citizen
  • " We're all Here because We're not all There".
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #81 on: July 23, 2008, 05:55:21 PM »
I will sip on Gatorade if I have cold and not plannin' get out. That stuff goes through me like coffee or iced tea. I'm startin' drink more water to flush the kidneys. I always carried a canteen on the tractor or combine in the fields. When I worked in that zinc smelter, they gave us handfuls of salt tablets to take. I wouldn't think about doing that these days.
SASS#47185  RO I   ROII       NCOWS#2244  NCOWS Life #186  BOLD#393 GAF#318 SCORRS#1 SBSS#1485  WASA#666  RATS#111  BOSS#155  Storm#241 Henry 1860#92 W3G#1000  Warthog AZSA #28  American Plainsmen Society #69  Masonic Cowboy Shootist  Hiram's Rangers#18  FOP  Lt. Col  Grand Army of The Frontier, Life Member CAF
   Col.  CAF  NRA  TSRA   BOA  Dooley Gang  BOPP  ROWSS  Scarlet Mask Vigilance Society Great Lakes Freight and Mining Company  Cow Cracker Cavalry   Berger Sharpshooters "I had no Irons in the Fire". "Are you gonna pull those pistols or whistle Dixie"?

Offline Delmonico

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #82 on: July 23, 2008, 06:08:10 PM »
I will sip on Gatorade if I have cold and not plannin' get out. That stuff goes through me like coffee or iced tea. I'm startin' drink more water to flush the kidneys. I always carried a canteen on the tractor or combine in the fields. When I worked in that zinc smelter, they gave us handfuls of salt tablets to take. I wouldn't think about doing that these days.

I carry them in the gear when I can find them, but don't have to worry about the salt.

Guess I need to make up some "Switchel" found the recipe in one of my old cookbooks.

1 quart barley water
1 teaspoon salt
1/4 cup apple cider vinegar
1/4 cup of mollasses, black strap or sorghunm is best

Yep has all you need to keep the electolites up in the heat.  How does it taste you ask, don't know, ain't tried it. ;D
Mongrel Historian

Ab Ovo Usque ad Mala

Advertising

« Reply #83 on: Today at 03:31:58 PM »

Offline Leo Tanner

• RATS #401 STORM 330
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Life is Good
  • Liked:
« Reply #83 on: July 23, 2008, 06:58:15 PM »
A quarter cup a black strap will hide any nasty flavors.  I'm guessin even vinager.
     Ya should try it, it'd keep the gatorade container outta the period photos ;D

Leo
"When you have to shoot, shoot.  Don't talk."
     Tuco--The Good the Bad and the Ugly

"First comes smiles, then lies.  Last is gunfire."
     Roland Deschain

"Every man steps in the manure now an again, trick is not ta stick yer foot in yer mouth afterward"

religio SENIOR est exordium of scientia : tamen fossor contemno sapientia quod instruction.

Offline Arcey

• Underlord of Soot
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #84 on: July 23, 2008, 07:08:04 PM »
It was ice cold. Been drinkin’ ice cold stuff all day. Some times, I’d go thru a half gallon of Gatorade, ice cold. Still like the Lemon-Lime taste. Still keep it here for when I don’t have lemonade ‘n I get tired of water. That was back a couple years ago when I ran the clock ‘n chased the shooters around. I won’t do that now. Afraid I’ll aggravate this darned back.

Hadn’t had that brand before. Think it hit me just right, or wrong. Still drink stuff ice cold but it’s water. I take 8 oz. bottles frozen. A couple full sized. Carry an apple or two for a snack ‘n a banana I force myself to eat

Back when we’d get detailed to outdoor stuff the bosses would make the rounds ‘n load ya up with salt tablets.

Do appreciate the tip though.
Honorary Life Member of the Pungo Posse. Badge #1. An honor bestowed by the posse. Couldn’t be more proud or humbled.

All I did was name it ‘n get it started. The posse made it great. A debt I can never repay. Thank you, mi amigos.

Offline Delmonico

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #85 on: July 23, 2008, 07:13:32 PM »
A quarter cup a black strap will hide any nasty flavors.  I'm guessin even vinager.
     Ya should try it, it'd keep the gatorade container outta the period photos ;D

Leo

Would have to make a heck of a lot of it up, Gatorade is goin' in a zinc lidded, blue-green canning jar, got plenty of both in my supply stash. ;D

It was ice cold. Been drinkin’ ice cold stuff all day. Some times, I’d go thru a half gallon of Gatorade, ice cold. Still like the Lemon-Lime taste. Still keep it here for when I don’t have lemonade ‘n I get tired of water. That was back a couple years ago when I ran the clock ‘n chased the shooters around. I won’t do that now. Afraid I’ll aggravate this darned back.

Hadn’t had that brand before. Think it hit me just right, or wrong. Still drink stuff ice cold but it’s water. I take 8 oz. bottles frozen. A couple full sized. Carry an apple or two for a snack ‘n a banana I force myself to eat

Back when we’d get detailed to outdoor stuff the bosses would make the rounds ‘n load ya up with salt tablets.

Do appreciate the tip though.

I've seen it happen with Gatorade also, Rita drinks that Propel stuff by the case, was recomended after her surgery, don't have any balance proplems.  wish they'd come up with a more modern heat tablet, less salt but enough and more of the other stuff.

One has to be real careful in the heat as we get older, also always read the sheet that comes with meds and don't be afraid to ask the druggest, antibiotics and sun light can be a real nasty one, skin rash and sunburn bad.
Mongrel Historian

Ab Ovo Usque ad Mala

Offline Ozark Tracker

• Top Active Citizen
  • my granddad on his mule around 1907
  • Liked:
« Reply #86 on: July 23, 2008, 07:20:40 PM »
My Dad was always warning me against that ice cold water when I was working,  but that's how I like it,  we got one of them ice machines that sits on a little table there in the kitchen and I keep everything iced I drink.
had to get the ice machine cause the refridgerator ice machine couldn't keep up with our ice use in the summer time.  

Del, I think yer right about that as you get older,  I sure can tell it slows me down from what it used to.  that going in and out of the air conditioning makes it tough on ya too.  we always keep ours set a little higher so it won't hurt so much,
We done it for Dixie,  nothing else

"I've traveled a long way and some of the roads weren't paved."

Offline Delmonico

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #87 on: July 23, 2008, 07:27:20 PM »
that going in and out of the air conditioning makes it tough on ya too.  we always keep ours set a little higher so it won't hurt so much,

When I go out for one of those weekends I almost can't stand to be in the house whenI get back, when I got back from RCS I snuck down and turned the air to warmer, cause all but one of my quilts was in the shed. Rita thought I got up to pee. ;D
Mongrel Historian

Ab Ovo Usque ad Mala

Offline Ozark Tracker

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #88 on: July 23, 2008, 07:39:28 PM »
It does make a difference what yer used to.  we're always in and out of heat, winter and summer,  the birds always start out at 90 or over, in the winter time it's really rough going from 90 to freezing then back again.
the houses now are about 90 degrees, in the mornings we spend a couple of hours in there checking and feeding the birds, it's kinda like  being in a steam bath,  yer kinda sweated out. :)

Offline Arcey

• Underlord of Soot
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #89 on: July 23, 2008, 07:43:19 PM »
What I do is put on dry clothes before I leave the shoots if I can. Almost always take the shirt off for a dry t-shirt. Grab a bottle of water ‘n get in the truck that’s had the A/C runnin’ with the windows cracked. These days when it’s this hot I rarely go anymore.

For the last few years the A/C was so weak here it wasn’t a danger comin’ in all hot ‘n sweaty. Now that we have one that feels like a freezer, she’s too cold if it’s set below 72. For meanness, I set it at 68 while she’s out ‘n keep my mouth shut when she gets home..
Honorary Life Member of the Pungo Posse. Badge #1. An honor bestowed by the posse. Couldn’t be more proud or humbled.

All I did was name it ‘n get it started. The posse made it great. A debt I can never repay. Thank you, mi amigos.

Offline Ozark Tracker

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #90 on: July 23, 2008, 07:49:10 PM »
when we come in from feeding the birds, I always grab a dry T shirt,   it'll usually be wringing wet this time of year.

Offline Leo Tanner

• RATS #401 STORM 330
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Life is Good
  • Liked:
« Reply #91 on: July 23, 2008, 08:07:10 PM »
Our A/C consists of a fan settin on top of our bedroom laundry basket.  I keep finding maself wakin up turned around 180 degrees on the bed with ma head as close ta it as possible.  Thing sounds like a B-17 but makes me sleep like a baby.  I'll miss the noise while camping.

Leo

Roland Deschain

"Every man steps in the manure now an again, trick is not ta stick yer foot in yer mouth afterward"

religio SENIOR est exordium of scientia : tamen fossor contemno sapientia quod instruction.

Offline Ozark Tracker

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #92 on: July 23, 2008, 08:19:55 PM »
Jackie's always talking about her swamp cooler she used to have in California,  we see em out here quite often,  she's alwasy saying she want's to get one and try it here.

Offline Texas Lawdog

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #93 on: July 23, 2008, 09:18:02 PM »
OT, I think those swamp coolers probably wouldn't work very good in a place with a lot of humidity. We had those water coolers in the Panhandle.  This new AC unit of ours is a 3 phase 220 volt commercial, and it keeps thos big ol' ranch house COLD!
SASS#47185  RO I   ROII       NCOWS#2244  NCOWS Life #186  BOLD#393 GAF#318 SCORRS#1 SBSS#1485  WASA#666  RATS#111  BOSS#155  Storm#241 Henry 1860#92 W3G#1000  Warthog AZSA #28  American Plainsmen Society #69  Masonic Cowboy Shootist  Hiram's Rangers#18  FOP  Lt. Col  Grand Army of The Frontier, Life Member CAF
   Col.  CAF  NRA  TSRA   BOA  Dooley Gang  BOPP  ROWSS  Scarlet Mask Vigilance Society Great Lakes Freight and Mining Company  Cow Cracker Cavalry   Berger Sharpshooters "I had no Irons in the Fire". "Are you gonna pull those pistols or whistle Dixie"?

Offline Ozark Tracker

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #94 on: July 23, 2008, 09:28:43 PM »
I can remember the water coolers,  my grandma used one in the hottest part of the summer,  it seemed like it worked pretty good when it was real hot and no humidity.

In the big turkey houses we have what they call foggers,  pressurised water line, spray nozzels shoot a fine mist down in front of all the fans in the house, 15 fans per house,  it'll cool down the temp about 15 degrees, but it has to be less than 40% humidity before they recommend using it.  we seldom if ever use them up here, it just usually doesn't get that hot.

Offline Leo Tanner

• RATS #401 STORM 330
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Life is Good
  • Liked:
« Reply #95 on: July 23, 2008, 10:13:20 PM »
Done a lot of work on swamp coolers.  Gotta say you need low humidity fer them ta work right.  They're pretty high maintenace too compaired ta the A/C.  Have ta rplace the floats on em every spring it seems.  Lots of other stuff ta go wrong in there as well.

Leo

Roland Deschain

Offline Texas Lawdog

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #96 on: July 24, 2008, 04:45:56 AM »
THe pads need to be changed yearly.  The side panels also rust out.

Offline Leo Tanner

• RATS #401 STORM 330
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Life is Good
  • Liked:
« Reply #97 on: July 24, 2008, 12:57:17 PM »
The lower pan also rusts.  They should be lined but most aren't.
     Then there's the cheapo plastic pumps...

Roland Deschain

Offline Texas Lawdog

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #98 on: July 24, 2008, 02:28:53 PM »
Humidity up in the Texas Panhandle is low enough that the water coolers work pretty good. I lived in a 6 room house with one water cooler. I guess it kept things cooler inside than outside. It was the best that we had, on I didn't know any better.  We had a double panel gas wall heater for the winter time. It gets cold up there in the Panhandle during the winter.  That's the main reason I live at DFW and it pays more as a cop down here than up there.

Offline Leo Tanner

• RATS #401 STORM 330
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Life is Good
  • Liked:
« Reply #99 on: July 24, 2008, 03:04:37 PM »
Geez Tex, I had a layover at kthe DFW airport.  Went outside ta have a smoke and the humidity 'bout knocked me on ma @ss when the doors opened.  I got used ta it when I lived in Missouri, but dang that was a slap in the face.

Still waitin on my buddy and his new bride ta show so I can go campin.  They need one of them smiley guys up there that represents "impatient" :P

Leo

Roland Deschain

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com