Author Topic: Beer Drinkin', Racin' 'n Football  (Read 1272818 times)

Offline Texas Lawdog

• NCOWS Senator "Old School" Cop
  • Top Active Citizen
  • " We're all Here because We're not all There".
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: Beer Drinkin', Racin' 'n Football
« Reply #80 on: March 16, 2008, 02:19:16 PM »
Fireball also raced on the Old Beach course at Daytona. I remember him driving a 55 Buick 2doorHT  #M-2.
SASS#47185  RO I   ROII       NCOWS#2244  NCOWS Life #186  BOLD#393 GAF#318 SCORRS#1 SBSS#1485  WASA#666  RATS#111  BOSS#155  Storm#241 Henry 1860#92 W3G#1000  Warthog AZSA #28  American Plainsmen Society #69  Masonic Cowboy Shootist  Hiram's Rangers#18  FOP  Lt. Col  Grand Army of The Frontier, Life Member CAF
   Col.  CAF  NRA  TSRA   BOA  Dooley Gang  BOPP  ROWSS  Scarlet Mask Vigilance Society Great Lakes Freight and Mining Company  Cow Cracker Cavalry   Berger Sharpshooters "I had no Irons in the Fire". "Are you gonna pull those pistols or whistle Dixie"?

Offline Arcey

• Underlord of Soot
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #81 on: March 16, 2008, 02:41:49 PM »
My first BIG race was the Southern 500 in ’63. Roberts won it. Joe, I don’t remember the position, finished high enough to beat Richard Petty for the championship.

Robert’s death led to the development of the fuel cell. Joe’s to the window net.
Honorary Life Member of the Pungo Posse. Badge #1. An honor bestowed by the posse. Couldn’t be more proud or humbled.

All I did was name it ‘n get it started. The posse made it great. A debt I can never repay. Thank you, mi amigos.

Offline Leo Tanner

• RATS #401 STORM 330
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Life is Good
  • Liked:
« Reply #82 on: March 16, 2008, 02:50:56 PM »
What was that wreck in the 50's, where the car landed in the front rows of the stands?  Saw footage of it as a kid but haven't thought about it til now.  I'm sure you guy's will remember.

Leo
"When you have to shoot, shoot.  Don't talk."
     Tuco--The Good the Bad and the Ugly

"First comes smiles, then lies.  Last is gunfire."
     Roland Deschain

"Every man steps in the manure now an again, trick is not ta stick yer foot in yer mouth afterward"

religio SENIOR est exordium of scientia : tamen fossor contemno sapientia quod instruction.

Advertising

« Reply #83 on: Today at 06:51:00 AM »

Offline Texas Lawdog

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #83 on: March 16, 2008, 05:36:09 PM »
There is a lot film of Cale Yarbrough in a 63 Ford flying over the fence at Darlington.  There is another one of Dick Hutcherson in another Ford going over a Fence at Daytona.
SASS#47185  RO I   ROII       NCOWS#2244  NCOWS Life #186  BOLD#393 GAF#318 SCORRS#1 SBSS#1485  WASA#666  RATS#111  BOSS#155  Storm#241 Henry 1860#92 W3G#1000  Warthog AZSA #28  American Plainsmen Society #69  Masonic Cowboy Shootist  Hiram's Rangers#18  FOP  Lt. Col  Grand Army of The Frontier, Life Member CAF
   Col.  CAF  NRA  TSRA   BOA  Dooley Gang  BOPP  ROWSS  Scarlet Mask Vigilance Society Great Lakes Freight and Mining Company  Cow Cracker Cavalry   Berger Sharpshooters "I had no Irons in the Fire". "Are you gonna pull those pistols or whistle Dixie"?

Offline Arcey

• Underlord of Soot
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #84 on: March 16, 2008, 06:06:19 PM »
Leo, I remember readin’ about someone knockin’ the fence down in Martinsville in the fifties. Don’t think anyone was killed.

When NASCAR banned the ‘Himmy’, Chrysler got their collective panties inna wad ‘n pulled their factory backed cars. Petty went drag racin’ in what would become Funny Cars. He had an accident ‘n killed a l’il boy.

Bobby Allison went airborne at Talladega back in the ‘80s ‘n rode the catch fence. Several were injured by debris. Now at that track ‘n Daytona they have restrictor plates to keep ‘em under two hundred miles an hour.
Honorary Life Member of the Pungo Posse. Badge #1. An honor bestowed by the posse. Couldn’t be more proud or humbled.

All I did was name it ‘n get it started. The posse made it great. A debt I can never repay. Thank you, mi amigos.

Offline Texas Lawdog

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #85 on: March 16, 2008, 06:17:41 PM »
Arcey, Is it just me or have we seen a bunch of this Nascar stuff?

Offline Arcey

• Underlord of Soot
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #86 on: March 16, 2008, 06:25:29 PM »
LOL! Reckon we’ve seen a lap or three.

Offline Texas Lawdog

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #87 on: March 16, 2008, 06:34:47 PM »
RCR got the 1, 2,3, finish at Bristol.   Glad to see GM in the winner's circle.  More hard luck for JGR again.  Martinsville will be tough on the brakes.

Offline Leo Tanner

• RATS #401 STORM 330
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Life is Good
  • Liked:
« Reply #88 on: March 16, 2008, 06:42:38 PM »
Arce,
     I think ya got it right with the Martinsville episode.  It was when they was racin the single seaters open top with the roll bar in back.  If memry serves the car didn't go thru the fence but flew over it an landed on the crowd.  It's funny the things ya remember from childhood.

If I have anymore questions I'll know right where ta go.

Leo
"When you have to shoot, shoot.  Don't talk."
     Tuco--The Good the Bad and the Ugly

"First comes smiles, then lies.  Last is gunfire."
     Roland Deschain

"Every man steps in the manure now an again, trick is not ta stick yer foot in yer mouth afterward"

religio SENIOR est exordium of scientia : tamen fossor contemno sapientia quod instruction.

Offline Arcey

• Underlord of Soot
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #89 on: March 16, 2008, 06:59:58 PM »
Power steerin’ trouble for Hamlin last week. Same thing for Busch today. Fuel problems for Stewart ‘n Hamlin last year in this race. Fuel problem for Hamlin today. Wonder what’s goin’ on at JGR. They had ‘em won.

Leo, that ain’t it. I watch stock cars. Don’t know much about the old roadsters. Remember a real, real bad one in france (lower case intended) years ago. Killed a bunch of spectators.

Offline Texas Lawdog

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #90 on: March 17, 2008, 04:49:29 PM »
Le Mans.

Offline Texas Lawdog

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #91 on: March 17, 2008, 04:54:20 PM »
Lots of Gremlins runnin around JGR.

Offline Four-Eyed Buck

• Top Active Citizen
  • Tusco LongRiders,
  • Liked:
« Reply #92 on: March 17, 2008, 05:41:07 PM »
You're right, TLD. That one was a bad one. Not sure if they changed the spectator areas or not after that one. Another bad one was in '67 or '68. Walt Hansgen had to go down an escape chute and still hit hay bales or something in one of those Ford GT-40 Mark IV's. Tore the car completely up...............Buck 8) :o
I might be slow, but I'm mostly accurate.....

Offline Arcey

• Underlord of Soot
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #93 on: March 17, 2008, 06:09:22 PM »
……or Lay Maaaaa as the frogs say.

If it’s the one I have in mind it was horrible. But what in the name of heck were those people thinkin’ standin’ there?

The ‘world’ racin’ community can run their mouths all they want about the European ‘rice-in’ sophistication. They can’t hold a candle to NASCAR or the NHRA when it comes to safety for the competitors or spectators.

Offline Texas Lawdog

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #94 on: March 17, 2008, 10:34:00 PM »
I was watching the NHRA races from Gainesville Florida yesterday on TV.  Cruz Pedregon had a buge Blower explosion and fire on his Funny Car. The body was blown completely off the car and the Safety Safari was on the spot to put out the fire. Cruz was shaken but uninjured.

Offline Arcey

• Underlord of Soot
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #95 on: March 27, 2008, 07:47:55 PM »
Looks like.....

BAM Racin'.......

Has switched......

Offline Lucky Irish Tom

• Drunken Irish Darksider
  • Top Active Citizen
  • If I can't see the targets neither can the spotter
  • Liked:
« Reply #96 on: March 27, 2008, 08:37:01 PM »
Is that the car they have to shut the windows and turn it off, then open the windows and restart it for every Pit Stop?  ;D
If ya can't be fast it's good to be Lucky!
Official Irish Whiskey Taster
SASS 40271, WARTHOG, Darksider, Dirty RATS, RO2

Offline Four-Eyed Buck

• Top Active Citizen
  • Tusco LongRiders,
  • Liked:
« Reply #97 on: March 27, 2008, 09:38:11 PM »
 ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D :o 8) ;)
I might be slow, but I'm mostly accurate.....

Offline Silver Creek Slim

• Buckaroo
  • Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • NCOWS #: 2329
  • GAF #: 144
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 104
« Reply #98 on: March 28, 2008, 06:57:06 PM »
 ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

Slim
NCOWS 2329, WartHog, SCORRS, SBSS, BHR, GAF, RBCS, Dirty RATS, BTBM, IPSAC, Cosie-in-training
I love the smell of Black Powder in the morning!

Offline Texas Lawdog

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #99 on: March 29, 2008, 12:10:31 AM »
Arcey, Looks like Shrader will be driving a Toyota the rest of the season.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com