Author Topic: Comparing the Original 1876 with the Uberti 1876 - PICS  (Read 79383 times)

Offline Josie Wales

• Active citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: Comparing the Original 1876 with the Uberti 1876 - PICS
« Reply #40 on: September 10, 2010, 12:27:16 AM »
Griz,
It's always neat to see what makes something tick.  I found your pictures very interesting and informative.  Thanks for the great post.

Josie
Dying ain't much of a livin boy.

Offline Grizzly Adams

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 4
« Reply #41 on: September 10, 2010, 01:36:31 PM »
Griz,
It's always neat to see what makes something tick.  I found your pictures very interesting and informative.  Thanks for the great post.

Josie

Thanks, Josie.  Glad you enjoyed them! :)
If you can read this, thank a teacher. If you can read this in English, thank a Veteran!
COMNAVFORV, NRA life, SASS Life, TG, STORM Rider #36.
GAF

Offline Winchester Charlie

• Active citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #42 on: February 12, 2011, 05:03:15 PM »
Grizz,

Have you compard the Levers between the original and the Uberti?
 I was just wondering how close the Uberti was.

Thanks,
WC
"You better not start a fight......but you damn well better finish it" My Father.

Winchester 1866  44 HCF
Winchester 1873  44 WCF
Winchester 1876  50-95
Winchester 1886  45-70
Winchester 1887  12ga
Winchester 1892  44 WCF
Winchester 1894  30 WCF
Winchester 1895  30 US

Advertising

« Reply #43 on: Today at 06:37:27 PM »

Offline Skyrider

• Very Active Citizen
  • Thank A VET For Your FREEDOM!
  • Liked:
« Reply #43 on: October 31, 2011, 08:35:36 PM »
Hello Grizz! Say, didn't Pedersoli once make an 1876 lever gun? I am looking for an 1876 myself and want to get the best one I can afford and don't know much about Uberti either. I am hoping to purchase a 50-95 caliber.
IRISH MIKE

Offline Grizzly Adams

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 4
« Reply #44 on: October 31, 2011, 09:03:15 PM »
Hello Grizz! Say, didn't Pedersoli once make an 1876 lever gun? I am looking for an 1876 myself and want to get the best one I can afford and don't know much about Uberti either. I am hoping to purchase a 50-95 caliber.

Howdy, Skyrider.

No, Pedersoli has never made an 1876 lever gun - wish they world.  Currently, other than original Winchesters, the only two makers are Uberti and Chaparral.  My personal pick would be the Uberti.  They make the rifle in 50-95.  Quality is excellent and consistent. :)
If you can read this, thank a teacher. If you can read this in English, thank a Veteran!
COMNAVFORV, NRA life, SASS Life, TG, STORM Rider #36.
GAF

Offline Skyrider

• Very Active Citizen
  • Thank A VET For Your FREEDOM!
  • Liked:
« Reply #45 on: November 02, 2011, 08:57:54 PM »
Grizz I certainly do thank you sir for that tid-bit of information on the lever gun!  ;D
IRISH MIKE

Offline Heisenberg

• Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #46 on: September 20, 2014, 01:30:11 PM »
A round for everyone....

I realize this is an older thread but I was researching a possible purchase of a Uberti/Cimarron 1876. I looked at the comparison
photos Grizzly took and noticed a difference in the link system. Later on in the thread, I came upon this comment:

<They have failed to recognize Winchesters design of transmitting force from bolt to frame. The link pins on the Winchester are not designed to take the force, look close at your picture and the Winchester links have notches above the link pins that marry together in the firing position. When in the firing position, the force is transmitted from bolt to link to link (thru the notched area) to frame. Because the link notches are not present in the Uberti they require larger holes and pins to withstand bolt forces.>

Has anyone addressed this as it seems a very important detail left out of the Uberti. Strengthwise, I can't see how this is as strong or stronger than the original Winchester design. Am I missing something concerning this? Also, are there any drop in replacements for these links that strengthen the rifle?

Regards,
H~

Offline Coffinmaker

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 125
« Reply #47 on: December 28, 2014, 09:12:25 PM »
While considering the hazards of practicing Necromancy, I ran into this "old" re-run.  I was a mite surprised I hadn't paid any real attention to this board.  Anyway .........
The relative safety or "strength" of the reproduction 1876 rifles has ben brought up.  Thought I'd address it.  A bit of background, while building competition Toggle Link rifles (Henry, "66 & '73), a number of '76s also came I to the shop.  The first questions were "can you Short Stroke it?"
then the requests changed to "can you fix it?"  Also many requests to make them more user friendly.  Let's look at "can you fix it?" first.
After the initial excitement when the Chaparral was released the problems started to surface.  The guns were a mishmash of copied Winchester and Uberti design.  Understand, the guns were built by what was left of Armi San Marco.  The result was not pretty.  The biggest immediate problem was sheared link pins.  Initially, the U.S. rep sent me new pins, PDQ.  The reason for the sheared pins was poor fit of the links to the bosses in the frame and on the BREACH block (bolt).  When in battery, the front raidus of the front link should be in light contact with the boss in the bolt and the rear raidus in contact with the boss on the frame and everything in parallel.  Stress is evenly spread between three sets of pins (remember the big knee pin).  In the Chaparral, a couple of us could walk hand in hand thru the gaps between the link raidus and the bosses.  The result was sheared pins.
We (the smiths) also requested new links to fix the link fit problem.  The links we got from Chaparral were worse than the links we needed to replace.  After we replaced the pins, we had to weld up the raidus on the links, re-machine the raidus, then hand fit each one.  That got real expensive.
Next were the problems with the Breach Block, but that is a different subject.
While neither the Chaparral nor the Uberti has the same link design as Winchester's original.  Winchester's original interlocked and took the stress load off the pivot pins entirely.  Uberti simply went to much bigger pins along with a much better fit of the links to the frame and bolt bosses.
So:  Is the Uberti (original question) as strong as (probably) or stronger (probably not) than the the original.  I think the Uberti Is perfectly adaquite for the pressure levels generated by the cartridges its chambered for.  I never received  a Uberti In shop with sheared links.  Now, as far as the Chaparral is concerned, in "out of the box" condition, not safe to shoot.

Coffinmaker

Offline Cliff Fendley

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 360
« Reply #48 on: December 28, 2014, 09:21:07 PM »
Good info there Coffinmaker. Thanks for taking the time to post that.
http://www.fendleyknives.com/

NCOWS 3345  RATS 576 NRA Life member

Johnson County Rangers

Offline Palatine Tom

• Active citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #49 on: January 16, 2015, 05:37:46 AM »
Thanks for that hint,

me as a new owner of a unfired Chaparral may have a closer look into it.

This is my first report on my 1876 in another thread:

Greetings folks, Smiley

I hope it is not to late to join into this very informative thread.

This week i bought a unfired Chaparral 1876 28inch in 45-60, from a German in Germany.

Barrel markings are: "Chaparral Charter 2000 Shelton C.T.  IT DE 10"  Serial no. W7606XX

After reading this thread i am in total panic, but after inspecting my 1876 i am much more relaxed Roll Eyes

1. Muzzle crown is absolutely sharp edged instaead of a phase, but should be ok
2. Front sight nicely made and correct alligned, however i changed to a Buffalo Beach Combination front side, which fits in the slot perfectly
3. Tube latch end does not fit in the barrel slot and the tube ring are loose in the barrel like many other Chappies
4. I use shortened starline 45-70 brass and i can not locate a head space issue so far.
5. Rear sight is realy junk and i have this air gap in the slot as well. I replaced the junk with a Lyman 16B folding leaf rear sight which fits perfectly.
6. The lever action is going acceptable for me, maybe i will polish the internal parts a bit.
7. I installed a Lyman no 2 tang peep sight for winchester and Browning replicas 1886 with no problems. It is true i have to find a new place for my thumb  Undecided
8. Wood appearance and fitting is not bad at all

9. Saturday is show time with 320grain lead bullet, BP swiss 2 and a thin card wad between, minimal compressed  on 100 yards Cheesy Cheesy

If you like i keep you informed about my progress.

Mine has a pretty low serial no. concerning your experience it should be crap at all but it isnt...

regards from Bavaria

Tom
Do unto others as they would
do unto you, but do it first." Amen

Offline Silver_Rings

• Top Active Citizen
  • Gunfighter who shoots for fun.
  • Liked:
« Reply #50 on: January 16, 2015, 11:12:16 AM »
Hi Tom, I have 2 Chappys, a 45-60 and a 45-75.  I am happy with both of them, considering what they cost compared to an Uberti. 
I'm sure you will enjoy it.

Silver Rings
Gunfighter, SASS 27466, NRA Life, GOFWG, BOSS, RO 1, RO 2

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com