Author Topic: Black powder subs with Schofields  (Read 446 times)

Offline DeaconKC

• Retired Predator Hunter
  • Top Active Citizen
  • SASS #: 110215
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 4669
Black powder subs with Schofields
« on: February 27, 2024, 07:02:29 PM »
Okay, I'm gonna try Frontier Cartridge this year. I have a couple of Opentops and a pair of Schofields  that are flawless runners with smokeless. I think the Opentops will be my primary guns with BP sub. I have seen reports that Schofields generally do not run well with BP subs. Have any of you tried the Schofields with BP subs, and if so did they bid up quickly with the sub?
SASS DeaconKC
The Deacon AZSA
BOLD 1088
RATS 739
STORM 448
Driver for Howard, Fine & Howard
Veterinary & Taxidermy Clinic
"Either way, you get your dog back"

Offline Hair Trigger Jim

• Top Active Citizen
  • GAF #: 914
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 10
Re: Black powder subs with Schofields
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2024, 07:58:03 PM »
I have often wondered how the reproduction Schofields would do with that lubricating smokey agent we often see lauded by certain denizens of these regions, to wit, APP.

I.e. I haven't tried it but I'm really curious how APP would do in the replica open tops.

Offline Professor Marvel

• purveyor of useless items to the gentry
  • American Plainsmen Society
  • Top Active Citizen
  • learn from the past, or be doomed to repeat it
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1118
« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2024, 10:01:53 PM »
My dear Deacon

The issue with the schoffield replicas jamming up  is most oft' due to the replica design not following
the originals with regards to the cylinder bushing and barrel/cylinder thingy, which ( in replicas)
allows the residue ( technically known as "crap" ) to build up .

My brief experience with APP has shown minimal crap, and virtually no buildup, and further no discernable
corrosion. Thus I would suggest APP over anything else....

Or if one is forced to  use other powder, one could squirt crisco over the top of the cartridges after loading, and see what happens :-)

yhs
prof mumbles
Your Humble Servant
~~~~~Professor Algernon Horatio Ubiquitous Marvel The First~~~~~~
President, CEO, Chairman,  and Chief Bottle Washer of

Professor Marvel's
Traveling Apothecary
and
Fortune Telling Emporium

Acclaimed By The Crowned Heads of Europe
Purveyor of Patent Remedies, Snake Oil, Powder, Percussion Caps, Cleaning Supplies, Dry Goods,
and
Picture Postcards

Offering Unwanted Advice for All Occasions
and
Providing Useless Items to the Gentry
Since 1822
[
Available by Appointment for Lectures on Any Topic

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 02:43:34 PM »

Offline Dave T

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 901
« Reply #3 on: February 28, 2024, 10:24:48 AM »
My S&W 2000 Schofield will not (NOT) run with BP. I can't get off 5 shots, and that's with Big Lube bullets and SPG.

It does work with the now discontinued Hodgdon Black-MZ, which was an early version of APP. Still smokes but doesn't smell right. When my one can of Black MZ runs out I'll use APP.

Dave

Offline Tascosa Joe

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • SASS #: 2770
  • NCOWS #: L-168
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 11
« Reply #4 on: February 28, 2024, 03:57:39 PM »
I had one a while back, I shot it with APP and could fire about 20 rounds before it needed to have some of the residue washed off.  I sold it because my hands are too small to operate it duelist.
NRA Life, TSRA Life, NCOWS  Life

Offline St. George

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • NCOWS , GAF, B.O.L.D., Order of St. George, SOCOM,
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #5 on: February 28, 2024, 05:08:47 PM »
Modern Schofields - S&W and Italian - were designed to work successfully with smokeless powder.

At the time of their development, black powder and its substitutes weren't even a thought, because no one was actively loading it.

There are numerous threads on this Forum - review them.

Scouts Out!
"It Wasn't Cowboys and Ponies - It Was Horses and Men.
It Wasn't Schoolboys and Ladies - It Was Cowtowns and Sin..."

Offline Tornado

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 39
« Reply #6 on: February 29, 2024, 08:01:59 AM »

Offline Tuolumne Lawman

• CAS-L Ghost Rider
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Grass Valley, CA in the Sierra Nevada Mountains
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 46
« Reply #7 on: March 07, 2024, 09:44:55 AM »
There was a gun plumber that modified Uberti Schofields to have the flange on the front of the cylinder, recessed under the barrel to allow black.  I have tried Black, Triple 7 and Pyrodex.  Triple 7 worked best, but only about two cylinders.  APP should work if well lubed.  I have used APP in oprntops, but not in Schofields.
TUOLUMNE LAWMAN
CO. F, 12th Illinois Cavalry  SASS # 6127 Life * Spencer Shooting Society #43 * Motherlode Shootist Society #1 * River City Regulators

Offline Abilene

• CAS-L Ghost Rider
  • Top Active Citizen
    • Abilene's CAS Pages
  • SASS #: 27489
  • NCOWS #: 3958
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1180
« Reply #8 on: March 07, 2024, 11:18:50 AM »
There was a gun plumber that modified Uberti Schofields...

Yeah, key word there is "was".  Happy Trails is retired now.  Driftwood Johnson once posted pics of these mods. 

Offline kwilliams1876

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #9 on: March 07, 2024, 11:51:09 AM »
Was a case of extending the cylinder gas collar and milling like amount of the frame. My next Shofield is going to get that treatment immediately.

Offline Coffinmaker

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 125
« Reply #10 on: March 07, 2024, 08:04:59 PM »
 :) Hey Deacon  ;)

Seems I'm late to da Party.  Well, better late than never I think  :o  ::)

I can only personally address your question as applies to Open Tops.  Open Top guns have a rather nice Gas Collar as part of the Cylinder, that also affects End Shake and Head Space.  Multi talented as it twer.

I believe I have mentioned in the past I like and run APP.  Sort of an aficionado if you will.  My Open Tops will run a full match with APP without much attention.  Perhaps a little spritz of PAM kit the junction of the Gas Collar and the Barrel Lug and maybe a light wipe of PAM on the cylinder face.  Basically easy peasy.

I have several acquaintances that run Schofields.  ALL have tried Black Powder and ALL have tried Subs.  All have walked away and returned to smokeless.  I also hear tell of one guy with 45 Schofields who had so-so results with APP by running Cowboy 45 Special cases.  I have not personally observed this.  Personally, I know of no one who has had harmonious results with anything other than Smokeless.  YMMV

OOPS:  Part two, I almost forgot.  The problem with Replica Schofields and the "New" S&W Schofields, is the same dumb mistake.  Both manufacturers bowed to pressure to include 45 Colt as a chambering.  To do so, Uberti and S&W lengthened the cylinders, eliminating most of the original design bushing which causes excessive build up of fouling on the Base Pin and on the Cylinder Face.  I personally know of NO easy fix.  Iffin yer gonna shoot Black or APP, hang the Schofields onna Wall.

PLUS ONE for Professor Marvelous you betcha.

Offline Tuolumne Lawman

• CAS-L Ghost Rider
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Grass Valley, CA in the Sierra Nevada Mountains
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 46
« Reply #11 on: March 24, 2024, 01:56:49 PM »
I once tried Triple 7 in Schofields.  I lubed the cylinder arbor with SPG, used grease cookie (even though I was using triple 7), and got one and a half stages before it seized.   I then tried spraying the gun liberally with WD40 after each stage, and was able to just finish the match.  That was my last attempt at BPish loads in a Schofield.
TUOLUMNE LAWMAN
CO. F, 12th Illinois Cavalry  SASS # 6127 Life * Spencer Shooting Society #43 * Motherlode Shootist Society #1 * River City Regulators

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com