Author Topic: 1870 trapdoor carbine  (Read 1365 times)

Offline LongWalker

• Top Active Citizen
  • GAF #: 911
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 12
1870 trapdoor carbine
« on: April 05, 2021, 06:05:12 PM »
I was nosing around trying to find some brass and ran across this: https://www.gunbroker.com/item/889580638 

I thought someone might want to save the pics for reference for future projects. 
In my book a pioneer is a man who turned all the grass upside down, strung bob-wire over the dust that was left, poisoned the water, cut down the trees, killed the Indian who owned the land and called it progress.  Charles M. Russell

Offline 38OVI

• Very Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: 1870 trapdoor carbine
« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2021, 10:18:22 PM »
For some more information on trapdoors try www.trapdoorcollector.com   

Offline Niederlander

• American Plainsmen Society
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 6
« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2021, 06:03:57 AM »
Nice find!  Without checking references, it certainly looks like the real thing.  If I only had the pocket change to buy it..............
"There go those Nebraskans, and all hell couldn't stop them!"

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 06:47:58 PM »

Offline Pitspitr

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • 308 214-0082 45551 Rd 816, Sargent NE 68874 USA
    • Grand Army of the Frontier
  • SASS #: 74523
  • NCOWS #: L187
  • GAF #: 147
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 2
« Reply #3 on: April 06, 2021, 06:22:09 AM »
If I only had the pocket change to buy it..............
I think you should buy it. You're always encouraging me to buy things, so I think you should buy this.  ;D
Think how good it would look in the firearms display!
I remain, Your Ob'd Servant,
Jerry M. "Pitspitr" Davenport
(Bvt.)Brigadier General Commanding,
Grand Army of the Frontier
BC/IT, Expert, Sharpshooter, Marksman, CC, SoM
NRA CRSO, RVWA IIT2; SASS ROI, ROII;
NRA Benefactor Life; AZSA Life; NCOWS Life

Offline Tascosa Joe

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • SASS #: 2770
  • NCOWS #: L-168
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 11
« Reply #4 on: April 06, 2021, 09:15:39 AM »
Neat, but way above my pay grade.
NRA Life, TSRA Life, NCOWS  Life

Offline LongWalker

• Top Active Citizen
  • GAF #: 911
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 12
« Reply #5 on: April 06, 2021, 11:53:25 AM »
I ran across this following up a thread from the Trapdoor Collector Discussion Board from January; Dick Hosmer seemed to think it was real.  Given that, I figured the pictures in the listing would be a help for anyone inclined to make a carbine from a cut-down 1870 rifle.

Of course, if someone buys it, I hope to someday get the opportunity to check it out!
In my book a pioneer is a man who turned all the grass upside down, strung bob-wire over the dust that was left, poisoned the water, cut down the trees, killed the Indian who owned the land and called it progress.  Charles M. Russell

Offline Trailrider

• CAS-L Ghost Rider
  • Top Active Citizen
    • Gunfighter Zone
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #6 on: April 06, 2021, 12:45:01 PM »
Looks legit. Very scarce historical item.  Not many of them actually got issued as the 1869 cartridge conversion Sharps Carbines were more often issued to the cavalry.  I'd buy it, but I'm about $12,999. short!  :P
Ride to the sound of the guns, but watch out for bushwhackers! Godspeed to all in harm's way in the defense of Freedom! God Bless America!

Your obedient servant,
Trailrider,
Bvt. Lt. Col. Commanding,
Southern District
Dept. of the Platte, GAF

Offline Niederlander

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: April 06, 2021, 05:06:42 PM »
I ran across this following up a thread from the Trapdoor Collector Discussion Board from January; Dick Hosmer seemed to think it was real.  Given that, I figured the pictures in the listing would be a help for anyone inclined to make a carbine from a cut-down 1870 rifle.

Of course, if someone buys it, I hope to someday get the opportunity to check it out!
I've built one out of a cut down rifle, and there are a few things that are pretty hard to fake unless you're an excellent machinist.  (The stock and cartouches are a whole 'nother item.)  Mine is "close enough for government work", and I'll have to say they're awesome little carbines.  I personally find them superior to the Sharps and rolling blocks, both of which I've used in competition.

Offline Niederlander

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #8 on: April 06, 2021, 08:35:26 PM »
Looks legit. Very scarce historical item.  Not many of them actually got issued as the 1869 cartridge conversion Sharps Carbines were more often issued to the cavalry.  I'd buy it, but I'm about $12,999. short!  :P
I could certainly be wrong (I often am!), but according to what I've read MOST of them got issued during trials, and most show a LOT of wear because of it.  I think one reason you hardly ever see them (aside from the extremely limited numbers produced) is that they were pretty much used to destruction.  Of course, a lot of that may have happened after they were surplused, if they were.  They are REALLY handy little rifles, in a great caliber.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com