Author Topic: Dance Bro Question  (Read 4702 times)

Offline Rube Burrows

• Top Active Citizen
  • SASS #: 84934
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 691
Re: Dance Bro Question
« Reply #20 on: March 31, 2021, 10:55:25 PM »
Creating a Dance is a worthwhile endeavor. Specially if you want one that is closest to an original. I have excerpts from the Dance book around here somewhere. I'll dig for it. But the book says that the .36 caliber guns were basically a 51 Navy copy, with a round barrel. The .44 caliber guns (the most common) were in-between a Navy and Dragoon in size. Closer to a Dragoon, with a shorter frame and cylinder.

I created mine from a beat up old G.U. and hand tools. I used the drill press to turn the barrel round, and various grinders and files to remove the recoil shields. It's a sweaty old girl, but looks the part.

From this:

To this:

Looking forward to seeing your project come together.

That turned out to be a beauty.
"If legal action will not work use lever action and administer the law with Winchesters" ~ Louis L'Amour

SASS# 84934
RATS#288

Offline Rube Burrows

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #21 on: March 31, 2021, 10:56:35 PM »
Dave nailed it for you. I'll add one thing, there are just a few examples of Dances with octagonal barrels. Like maybe 3. You could always turn the barrel at a future time if you didn't feel like tackling it initially. I do like the round barrels better but octagonal is not incorrect.

Good to know. Thanks.
"If legal action will not work use lever action and administer the law with Winchesters" ~ Louis L'Amour

SASS# 84934
RATS#288

Offline Long Johns Wolf

• Top Active Citizen
  • "Centaures will make you become addicted"
    • Belgian Colt, aka Centaure, aka Centennial Army, aka "1960 NEW MODEL ARMY"
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 44
« Reply #22 on: April 01, 2021, 03:21:35 AM »
Unfortunately, I did not have an opportunity to inspect real life specimens of historical Dance revolvers, neither the .36 nor the .44 cal. variant.
FWIW and from what I read the three visible screws of the frame and the two connecting the loading lever to the plunger and the barrel lug, respectively, had flat (!) screw heads.
Long Johns Wolf
BOSS 156, CRR 169 (Hon.), FROCS 2, Henry Board, SCORRS, STORM 229, SV Hofheim 1938, VDW, BDS, SASS

Advertising

« Reply #23 on: Today at 05:04:21 AM »

Offline Cap'n Redneck

• Commd'g Co. D, Frontier Batt'n, Texas Rangers.
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Cap'n Redneck SWS #163.
  • GAF #: 273
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #23 on: April 01, 2021, 08:36:07 AM »
Looking at pages 158-59 in "Confederate Handguns" by Albaugh, Benet & Simmons:
.44 cal. Dance with octagonal-to-round barrel, serial # 20 looks like it has all flat screwheads.
.36 cal. Dance with oct.-to-round barrel, serial # 135 looks like it has a mix of flat and domed screwheads...
The weight of the .44 is listed at 3 lbs 6 oz., so it is lighter than a Colt Dragoon.
Here the .36 cal. guns are listed as generally having 7 3/8" long barrels, although one with a 6" barrel is known.

Looking at pages 278-80 in "Confederate Longarms and Pistols" by Hill & Anthony:
44. cal. Dance with full octagon barrel, serial # 121 clearly has all flat screwheads on the side.  It might have a domed screwhead on the single screw at the bottom of the gripframe.
.36 cal. Dance with oct.-to-round barrel, serial # 83; this black-and-white photo shows the underside of the triggerguard and the grip frame screw.  It is a little blurred, so determining the shape is difficult, but it looks to me like the two rear screws of the triggerguard might have domed heads...
The barrel on # 83 is listed as being 6 1/8" long.  Cylinder length:  1 21/32".
The .44 caliber guns are both listed with 8" barrels and 1 7/8" long cylinders.
"As long as there's lead in the air, there's still hope..."
Frontiersman & Frontiersman Gunfighter: The only two categories where you can play with your balls and shoot your wad while tweaking the nipples on a pair of 44s.

Offline Marshal Will Wingam

• Garden Variety
  • Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Smile. It makes people wonder what you're up to.
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 307
« Reply #24 on: April 01, 2021, 11:18:23 AM »
That's good information, Cap'n. The photo of the one I posted was # 164 and it has flat screw heads on it.

SCORRS     SASS     BHR     STORM #446

Offline Rube Burrows

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #25 on: April 01, 2021, 01:37:37 PM »
Looking at pages 158-59 in "Confederate Handguns" by Albaugh, Benet & Simmons:
.44 cal. Dance with octagonal-to-round barrel, serial # 20 looks like it has all flat screwheads.
.36 cal. Dance with oct.-to-round barrel, serial # 135 looks like it has a mix of flat and domed screwheads...
The weight of the .44 is listed at 3 lbs 6 oz., so it is lighter than a Colt Dragoon.
Here the .36 cal. guns are listed as generally having 7 3/8" long barrels, although one with a 6" barrel is known.

Looking at pages 278-80 in "Confederate Longarms and Pistols" by Hill & Anthony:
44. cal. Dance with full octagon barrel, serial # 121 clearly has all flat screwheads on the side.  It might have a domed screwhead on the single screw at the bottom of the gripframe.
.36 cal. Dance with oct.-to-round barrel, serial # 83; this black-and-white photo shows the underside of the triggerguard and the grip frame screw.  It is a little blurred, so determining the shape is difficult, but it looks to me like the two rear screws of the triggerguard might have domed heads...
The barrel on # 83 is listed as being 6 1/8" long.  Cylinder length:  1 21/32".
The .44 caliber guns are both listed with 8" barrels and 1 7/8" long cylinders.

Excellent information. Thanks for sharing.

SASS# 84934
RATS#288

Offline Smokey Dave

• STORM #445
  • Top Active Citizen
  • SASS #: 107837
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 71
« Reply #26 on: April 04, 2021, 11:22:44 AM »
There's quite a few ways you can go. I created a second Dance with the rarer 6" barrel. It's not 100% finished yet but it is functional.I need to get back on it and finish it up.

I created this one based on this information in the Dance book.

"Don't believe everything you read on the internet."
-Abe Lincoln

• Garden Variety
  • Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #27 on: April 04, 2021, 12:16:16 PM »
That 6" barrel is optimum. Perfect balance and looks great. That is my favorite of yours, Dave. Very good work.

Offline Rube Burrows

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #28 on: April 05, 2021, 09:11:34 AM »
There's quite a few ways you can go. I created a second Dance with the rarer 6" barrel. It's not 100% finished yet but it is functional.I need to get back on it and finish it up.

I created this one based on this information in the Dance book.

That thing looks great. I agree with Marshal in that 6" would be the perfect ballance and still keeps the gun looking right.

SASS# 84934
RATS#288

Offline Coffinmaker

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 125
« Reply #29 on: April 05, 2021, 09:47:24 AM »

:)  Harrumpff  ;)

Nah.  I found perfect balance happened right at three and a half inches of barrel.  Anything else was just way two much.   ;D

People are Hazardous to YOUR Health.

Offline Rube Burrows

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #30 on: April 05, 2021, 02:49:21 PM »
:)  Harrumpff  ;)

Nah.  I found perfect balance happened right at three and a half inches of barrel.  Anything else was just way two much.   ;D

People are Hazardous to YOUR Health.

How did I know that you were going to come along and champion the cause to go shorter?  ;D

SASS# 84934
RATS#288

• Garden Variety
  • Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #31 on: April 05, 2021, 05:40:28 PM »
 ;D ;D

Offline Rube Burrows

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #32 on: July 22, 2021, 04:10:01 PM »
Size wise, I think the originals were smaller than a Dragoon but larger than a '51 Navy. I guess the question is what size do you want to end up with?

I was at the Texas Ranger Hall Of Fame in Waco, Texas this past week and I seen a pair of Dance Brother's Revolvers and immediately thought of this thread and my question about the size.

This is the first time that I have seen one in person let alone two side by side.

They were both two different sizes and it was clearly noticeable in person. The one on the left looked much closer to a Dragoon size and the one on the right was 1851 Navy size. I hope that you can see in the photo the clear size difference because in person it was very obvious.

Maybe this will help with the question of size. I guess both the Dragoon and 51 Navy sizes were made.

SASS# 84934
RATS#288

• Garden Variety
  • Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #33 on: July 22, 2021, 05:15:41 PM »
Thanks for the photos. The last picture shows the size difference nicely. It's cool to see these historical items.

Offline Rube Burrows

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #34 on: July 23, 2021, 09:03:42 AM »
Thanks for the photos. The last picture shows the size difference nicely. It's cool to see these historical items.

Glad to know that you can see the difference. I was not sure how it was going to show up on here.

I made a special trip to Waco, Tx just to see the Texas Ranger Hall Of Fame. It is a wonderful museum on the Texas Rangers with lots of good displays. I was happy to see the two Dance Revolvers in there side by side to get a good look at them together.

SASS# 84934
RATS#288

Offline Smokey Dave

• STORM #445
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #35 on: July 23, 2021, 10:48:21 AM »
Thanks for these pictures Rube. They really do show the size difference.

I had a "heated" discussion just a few weeks ago with a gentleman about this very thing. I was trying to make him understand, that the .44 guns were based on the Dragoon. They have a shorter cylinder and frame, but otherwise have Dragoon dimensions. The .36 guns share dimensions with the Navy.

I have often contemplated making a .44 Dance. The difference in the cylinder and frame length is the only thing that has stopped me.
-Abe Lincoln

• Garden Variety
  • Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #36 on: July 23, 2021, 11:43:25 AM »
I have often contemplated making a .44 Dance. The difference in the cylinder and frame length is the only thing that has stopped me.
It would be fun to do but it would mean sending a Dragoon off to someplace like Turnbull to shorten the frame and cylinder. BUT! You'd really have something when it was done. It would still probably be cheaper than finding a real one and you'd not be afraid of ruining it by shooting it.

Offline Rube Burrows

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #37 on: July 23, 2021, 12:30:14 PM »
Thanks for these pictures Rube. They really do show the size difference.

I had a "heated" discussion just a few weeks ago with a gentleman about this very thing. I was trying to make him understand, that the .44 guns were based on the Dragoon. They have a shorter cylinder and frame, but otherwise have Dragoon dimensions. The .36 guns share dimensions with the Navy.

It would def. be something neat to do. Do you know the difference in cylinder and fram length between the Dragoon and the Dance 44

SASS# 84934
RATS#288

Offline Rube Burrows

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #38 on: July 23, 2021, 12:31:10 PM »
It would be fun to do but it would mean sending a Dragoon off to someplace like Turnbull to shorten the frame and cylinder. BUT! You'd really have something when it was done. It would still probably be cheaper than finding a real one and you'd not be afraid of ruining it by shooting it.

It would for sure be cheaper than an original. Not sure what someone like Turnbull would charge for something like that but it would not be cheap itself.

SASS# 84934
RATS#288

Offline Smokey Dave

• STORM #445
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #39 on: July 27, 2021, 02:34:55 PM »

I think I'd tackle it myself Marshal. I believe if I took my time, I could do it. And I just might!

It would for sure be cheaper than an original. Not sure what someone like Turnbull would charge for something like that but it would not be cheap itself.

I totally agree Rube. Even if I completely ruined the gun and had to buy another one, it would probably be way cheaper than what Turnbull would charge.
-Abe Lincoln

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com