Author Topic: .44-40 rounds won't fit new Smokewagon  (Read 17891 times)

Offline HL Hunley

• Active citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
.44-40 rounds won't fit new Smokewagon
« on: June 02, 2013, 04:52:56 AM »
I've just bought a Taylor's Smokewagon, .44-40, I LOVE it! She's a real beauty to look at, and functions smooth as silk. BUT...

My  .44-40 reloaded rounds don't fit. The cartridges don't sit all the way into the chambers. (These are casings that have never been through the Smokewagon).

UNfired, new brass fits fine. (as does the brass that has gone through the Smokewagon).

It is not length or diameter, but I believe the bottleneck/shoulder. The unfired Starline brass has no bottleneck when new (at least all I've bought), just a slight taper. Firing conforms it to give the bottleneck. So my other brass, bottlenecked already, has a longer base-to-shoulder dimension than the Smokewagon likes.

My finished rounds meet the .44-40 charts, but it seems the Smokewagon chambers have "short shoulders."

Is this me, or do you think the cylinder has to be re-machined?

I'm a greenhorn, and I figured the chambers were all straight thru- reams, I didn't think they had "shoulders." I've contacted Taylors, but haven't heard back.

Any thoughts/experiences are greatly appreciated.
Greenhorn | SASS #94810 | "A person with a new idea is a crank until the idea succeeds." Mark Twain

Offline Fox Creek Kid

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 104
Re: .44-40 rounds won't fit new Smokewagon
« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2013, 05:50:47 AM »
...My  .44-40 reloaded rounds don't fit. The cartridges don't sit all the way into the chambers...

UNfired, new brass fits fine. (as does the brass that has gone through the Smokewagon)...

A.  Are your reloads' cases full length resized? You neglected to state this.

B.  have you slugged the chamber mouths to determine correct bullet diameter? This is CRITICAL in a 44-40.

Offline Abilene

• CAS-L Ghost Rider
  • Top Active Citizen
    • Abilene's CAS Pages
  • SASS #: 27489
  • NCOWS #: 3958
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1180
« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2013, 08:39:59 AM »
Ubertis 44-40 chambers tend to be on the tight size.  Take one of your previously fired (not in the smokewagon) cases and resize it but don't put in a bullet, and see if it fits in the chamber.  That will tell you if the shoulder is okay or not.  If okay, then on to step two.  Many Uberti owners have to use only Winchester or Starline brass if they are using .429 bullets.  Remington and some other cases are too thick in the neck.  If you use smaller diameter bullets then this is less of a problem.  Sometimes people have also had a problem if they use too much crimp which can cause a slight bulge in the brass at the crimp area.

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 02:57:04 PM »

Offline HL Hunley

• Active citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: June 02, 2013, 09:10:59 AM »
Thanks for the replies.

Cases are just under .44-40 specs for OAL. DIA is OK for all (new, old, snap caps that fit easy), as in about the same.

I resized a case ridiculously short (I'm talking crazy!) and it still wouldn't fit.

The only thing that works is unfired, slightly tapered Starline.

Am using .427 projectiles, but even cases with no proj still won't fit.

Greenhorn | SASS #94810 | "A person with a new idea is a crank until the idea succeeds." Mark Twain

Offline yeti76620

• Reverend Sassquatch Dawg
  • Top Active Citizen
  • It's a good day to die....
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: June 02, 2013, 09:30:15 AM »
I'mma gunnnna throw a couple coppers into this discussion and it may be just way off base but it sounds like at this time any suggestion is worth a look....

Folks who shoot 38 or 44 specials into their magnum cylinders get a carbon build up up in the cylinder and when they go to put the magnum round inna em they do not go all the way in 'cause the carbon shimmmms 'em out 'till that carbon gets scrub'd out.

Maybe?

Yeti76620
NRA LIFE Member     SASS #76620     SCAA #1    RATS #480    OUTLAW

“Lord, make me accurate, my aim true, and my hand faster than those who would do harm to me and mine. Let not my last thought be "If only I had my gun"; finally Lord, if today is truly the day that You call me home, let me die in a pile of empty brass.” ...... Amen

http://www.nationalgunrights.org/
CONTACT YOUR POLITICIANS: http://www.ruger.com/micros/advocacy/takeAction.html

Offline Four Eyes Henry

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 11
« Reply #5 on: June 02, 2013, 10:12:57 AM »
I have a old Lyman die set that tapers on resizing, they'll fit every 44-40 even with .429 bullets.
I used to have a Lee die set which also set the shoulder to high and had the base machined off a little so it could go deeper.

Hope this helps.
DWSA #102
SASS  #16042
BDS    #2197

He will come to your house carrying a sixpack of goodwill and joy. The Reverend Horton Heat

http://www.youtube.com/user/foureyeshenry1

Offline Old Top

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: June 03, 2013, 01:40:51 AM »
I was having the same problems with 44-40 I ended up running the finished round back through the resizeing die.

Old Top
I only shoot to support my reloading habit.

Offline HL Hunley

• Active citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: June 03, 2013, 03:05:12 AM »
Thanks guys, I might investigate the dies/resizing.

I appreciate the idea on the 44 buildup, but this lil puppy is brandy-new!

Other than this, I do recommend 'em, they are purrrty.

Cheers

Offline longinosoap

• Very Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #8 on: June 03, 2013, 08:12:28 AM »
I had this problem also. What I did was try the case in the cylinder and turn after EVERY step of the process. Tedious, I know, but I wanted to try to find out what was causing the problem.

Empty case went in after resizing. All fit. Dump the powder and seat bullet. All fit. Crimp. AhHa. Here was the problem. About every other round would stick. I concluded that it wasn't the neck bulging but the base of the case, for some reason. May be wrong, but that is what I found after measuring. I use only black powder in 44-40, the only way to shoot this cartridge IMHO, so I thought after seating and crimping, the powder was getting more compressed and bulging the case at the bottom. My theory, anyway.

Remedy was to lighten the crimp. After doing this, only about 1 in 20 were "tight". But most would work.

I tried Old Top's suggestion to resize the finished round on a couple of those that didn't fit. Scared the beejeebbers out of me but it worked!. Now, though, I just run those rounds through the 66.

I use Lee dies.

Hope this helps.

Offline Fingers McGee

• American Plainsmen Society
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Smoke & Fire
  • SASS #: R28654
  • NCOWS #: 3638
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 6
« Reply #9 on: June 03, 2013, 06:52:57 PM »
Had the same problem with one of my Uberti Cattlemen a few years back.  Turned out the chamber dimensions were a little tighter than normal and setting the shoulder on the cases back a couple thousandths more did the trick.

A Redding Profile Crimp die did the trick also.

FM
Fingers (Show Me MO smoke) McGee;
SASS Regulator 28654 - L - TG; NCOWS 3638
AKA Man of many Colts; Diabolical Ken's alter ego; stage writer extraordinaire; Frontiersman/Pistoleer; Rangemaster
Founding Member - Central Ozarks Western Shooters
Member - Southern Missouri Rangers;
NRA Patron Life: GOA; CCRKBA; SAF; SV-114 (CWO4 ret); STORM 327

"Cynic:  A blackguard whose faulty vision sees thing as they are, not as they should be"  Ambrose Bierce

Offline longinosoap

• Very Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #10 on: June 05, 2013, 07:18:16 AM »

Fingers,
What do you do to the die to set the shoulder back? Thanks

Offline John Taylor

• Top Active Citizen
    • Taylor Machine
  • Liked:
« Reply #11 on: June 05, 2013, 09:50:33 AM »
If you look at a factory new round the shoulder is way back. When fire the shoulder will move to the shoulder in the chamber and may not fit in any chamber that has the shoulder in a different spot. To get the shoulder pushed back it may be necessary to grind a bit off the reloading die so it will move the shoulder back. I say grind because a file will not go through the case hardened surface of a die. This is best done with a lathe and a tool post grinder. You only want to take enough off to allow the cartridge to fit the gun. The case hardness may only be a few thou thick.
John Taylor, gunsmith

Offline Pettifogger

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 19
« Reply #12 on: June 05, 2013, 03:02:32 PM »
I have tried almost every .44-40 die set available.  Except for one die set, they ALL required machining the base of the sizer die to set the shoulder back far enough to chamber in all my .44-40s.  The only die that did not require trimming was the Hornady New Dimension series.

Offline John Taylor

• Top Active Citizen
    • Taylor Machine
  • Liked:
« Reply #13 on: June 06, 2013, 09:48:32 AM »
When setting the shoulder back, don't go any more than needed. If the brass gets worked to much in the shoulder it will soon fail.
John Taylor, gunsmith

Offline HL Hunley

• Active citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #14 on: June 09, 2013, 03:36:56 AM »
Pards, you are all a wealth of info.

Being a greenhorn I was a mighty scared, but i adjusted my die. Vee-ola, as the French say, problem solved instantly. I was afeared I'd have to machine the die. (I have a small lathe but I can only make swarf with it - cal me SwarfMaster.)

JT - I don't think (I hope) the shoulder is too far back now. My original rounds were just under the recommend .44-40 specs, so how can the snap-caps and rounds that fit be sooo much different? It boggles my mind.

I like the marker idea for really seeing where things are.

For now, I seem to be back u and running. But I', going to copy down all these info from this thread, it's fantastic, and might be useful for the future. Thank you again gents!!!

Cheers,
HL

Offline Sir Charles deMouton-Black

• THE ANCIENT SUBSTANCE ENDURES - ALL LESSER PROPELLANTS SHALL FIZZLE
  • NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 396
« Reply #15 on: June 09, 2013, 10:51:14 AM »
HL Hunley;  Don't go down with the boat.  Stick around. Not only do we learn from each other , we have a lot of friendly fun.
NCOWS #1154, SCORRS, STORM, BROW, 1860 Henry, Dirty Rat 502, CHINOOK COUNTRY
THE SUBLYME & HOLY ORDER OF THE SOOT (SHOTS)
Those who are no longer ignorant of History may relive it,
without the Blood, Sweat, and Tears.
With apologies to George Santayana & W. S. Churchill

"As Mark Twain once put it, “History doesn’t repeat itself, but it does rhyme.”

Offline Coal Creek Griff

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 634
« Reply #16 on: June 09, 2013, 10:54:32 AM »
I've always been curious about grinding the die. For those who don't have a lathe, would it work to chuck the die in a power drill and spin it while touching it on a bench grinder. Would that help keeping the removal of the metal even?

CC Griff
Manager, WT Ranch--Coal Creek Division

BOLD #921
BOSS #196
1860 Henry Rifle Shooter #173
SSS #573

Offline Pettifogger

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 19
« Reply #17 on: June 09, 2013, 04:21:42 PM »
I've never seen a power drill with a chuck big enough to hold a die body.  If you have one it would certainly help.  On some dies you have to remove .060 or sometimes more.  When you have removed that much material it leaves a sharp edge at the bottom of the die.  You have to be able to remove the edge and polish the die so it doesn't gouge your brass.

Offline Coal Creek Griff

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 634
« Reply #18 on: June 09, 2013, 09:14:42 PM »
Thanks for the input.  I hadn’t thought about the sharp edge left on the inside edge at the bottom of the die.  Here’s my idea.  My die is a Lee die.  I can back out the decapping pin far enough to get it out of the way, then tighten it down.  I can put the top end of the pin in the chuck on my drill.  Once I’ve ground off the proper amount, I can use a reamer in a Dremel tool while the die is spinning in the drill to chamfer the inside edge (I should be able to touch up the outside edge on the grinder and with sandpaper).  I can use sandpaper with the die spinning to finish the job.

I’ve been thinking about trying this for a while, but it didn’t make much difference until I recently bought a Pietta pistol in 44 WCF.  I’d like to be able to interchange the ammo between that and my Uberti 1873, which has slightly different chamber dimensions.

I think I’ll give this a try tomorrow.  I may destroy my die, but I think I’ll risk it…

CC Griff
Manager, WT Ranch--Coal Creek Division

BOLD #921
BOSS #196
1860 Henry Rifle Shooter #173
SSS #573

Offline wildman1

• American Plainsmen Society
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 169
« Reply #19 on: June 10, 2013, 05:40:30 AM »
Use 400 or 500 automotive finishing paper to smooth the die after you finish grinding it. WM
WARTHOG, Dirty Rat #600, BOLD #1056, CGCS,GCSAA, NMLRA, NRA, AF&AM, CBBRC.  If all that cowboy has ever seen is a stockdam, he ain't gonna believe ya when ya tell him about whales.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com