Author Topic: 1876 accessories  (Read 991 times)

Offline pinto beans

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 40
1876 accessories
« on: February 05, 2022, 09:12:39 AM »
Greetings All,

Sitting here on a very cold winter morning and figured to stir the pot a little.  We all enjoy our 76 rifles, both original and replicas they are about as cool as it gets.  Like many I have added a few accessories over the years and even made two piece ammo boxes, although theses are poor boxes they are fun to make  looking much better than modern plastic storage boxes.  Another goodie was a replica five piece cleaning rod to go in the trap under the butt plate.  Posting some pics taken over the years of these things follow but got to thinking.  What other goodies are out there and what have fellow 76 owners found over the years?  Just a little show and tell to keep up the conversation.  What ya'all got??!!!

Offline Black River Smith

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 36
Re: 1876 accessories
« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2022, 11:58:23 AM »
Like you I just had to have accessories for my 45/60 rifle.  So far I have original 1880's Win reloader (make deprimer pin and chisel berdan primer remover);an early mold; a label for boxes I have made through my CAS years (all calibers); and bought the 45Cal yellow colored web belt with dog head buckle off ebay.

The only thing I am missing is the proper 5-piece cleaning rod.  I attempted to make the rods myself but without a lathe I cannot hand-drill a straight hole (worth-a-dang) in the small diameter rod.  Tapping and threading would not be the problem.  I did buy the 4-piece set from Dixie back in 1994 for my original 1873 but now the prices for them are a lot higher.  Would like one to finish off the most useful accessories.

Like this posting I hope it gets more hit and more suggestion for NEEDED accessories.

PS-- I made Win Sporting front sights for my rifle.  I really like the looks of Silver in a blued base.  This not the blade but the radiused tapered disc looking shape.
Black River Smith

Offline Cliff Fendley

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 360
« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2022, 11:00:24 PM »
Nice!
http://www.fendleyknives.com/

NCOWS 3345  RATS 576 NRA Life member

Johnson County Rangers

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 09:25:17 AM »

Offline Boone May

• CAS-L Ghost Rider
  • Very Active Citizen
  • SASS #: 5904
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 3
« Reply #3 on: February 15, 2022, 01:31:49 PM »
Here's a little collection of original accessories for an 1876 rifle.  That is except for the cleaning rods, there are only four, so that's for a carbine or a rifle with 24 inch barrel or less.

From top going down then left to right:

A nice original box of .45-75 ammo from the 1890's, cleaning rods, a powder charge cup marked 75, original Winchester .45-75 cartridge, a Winchester bore reflector, an 1880 first variation reloading tool, an 1878 mold.

"There are a few things they didn't tell me when I hired on with this outfit."

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com